Buffalo Playoff Scenarios

ChasBB

In that case, one scenario to get the #5 seed would be:

Cincy loses to Indy, beats Denver, loses to Pittsburgh

Jets lose to Miami

KC beats Oakland and Jax

871106[/snapback]

This is a good scenario, although we would not need all of this just to get a playoff spot.

The playoff scenario that seems the most likely to me is:

- IND beats CIN (tonight)

- DEN beats CIN (Week 16)

- JAX loses to NE (Week 16) (or KC in Week 17)

- MIA beats NYJ (Week 16)

This would actually put the Bills in the driver's seat going into the final week with the only potential problem being the Bengals/ Bills strength of victory tiebreaker.

Ya know, somehow that's the one that makes the most sense to me too - that way I don't need a freakin' Excel spreadsheet to watch the games. :rolleyes:

871120[/snapback]

Hmm, an Excel spreadsheet might be handy! :rolleyes:

For some fans, the ignorance is bliss approach to the Bills playoff chances is the most enjoyable. I've been posting on the playoff scenarios for those of us who want to know all the details. To each his own.

One scenario I haven't seen mentioned yet is:

Can Buffalo win a 3-team tiebreaker with Cincy and Denver without KC around to knock out Denver?

The answer I come up with is: I think so. I might need some help with this one, ezbills and others.

If Jacksonville makes the playoffs by beating both NE and KC to finish 10-6, and then the following happened:

- Miami beats Jets to knock out Jets

- Cincy loses to Indy, beats Denver, loses to Pittsburgh

- Denver loses to Cincy and beats SF

That leaves Buff, Cincy, and Denver all at 9-7/7-5. Cincy would have head-to-head against Denver but that isn't applicable since the Bills didn't play either team. Conference record is even for all at 7-5.

Now here's the key. The next tiebreaker is "Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four." Does this mean common games between all three teams? If that is the case, then this tiebreaker is not applicable because there hasn't been four common games between all three clubs. However, if they apply this tiebreaker by matching the teams head-to-head in twosomes, then Denver would defeat Cincy in this tiebreaker and Denver would defeat Buffalo in this tiebreaker. Therefore, Denver would get the wildcard.

However, I think "common games" must apply to all three teams in this scenario (similar to how Cincy's win over Denver isn't applicable unless they beat Buffalo also). Therefore, the next tiebreaker is strength of victory, where Buffalo owns Denver even worse than Cincy.

So, I think under this scenario where Jacksonville makes the playoffs and KC isn't around to knockout Denver, we can win a 3-team tiebreaker with Cincy and Denver.

However, I think "common games" must apply to all three teams in this scenario (similar to how Cincy's win over Denver isn't applicable unless they beat Buffalo also).  Therefore, the next tiebreaker is strength of victory, where Buffalo owns Denver even worse than Cincy.

So, I think under this scenario where Jacksonville makes the playoffs and KC isn't around to knockout Denver, we can win a 3-team tiebreaker with Cincy and Denver.

871166[/snapback]

Wow -- this will need some clarification from the NFL!

One scenario I haven't seen mentioned yet is:

Can Buffalo win a 3-team tiebreaker with Cincy and Denver without KC around to knock out Denver?

The answer I come up with is: I think so.  I might need some help with this one, ezbills and others.

If Jacksonville makes the playoffs by beating both NE and KC to finish 10-6, and then the following happened:

- Miami beats Jets to knock out Jets

- Cincy loses to Indy, beats Denver, loses to Pittsburgh

- Denver loses to Cincy and beats SF

That leaves Buff, Cincy, and Denver all at 9-7/7-5.  Cincy would have head-to-head against Denver but that isn't applicable since the Bills didn't play either team.  Conference record is even for all at 7-5. 

Now here's the key.  The next tiebreaker is "Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four."  Does this mean common games between all three teams?  If that is the case, then this tiebreaker is not applicable because there hasn't been four common games between all three clubs.  However, if they apply this tiebreaker by matching the teams head-to-head in twosomes, then Denver would defeat Cincy in this tiebreaker and Denver would defeat Buffalo in this tiebreaker.  Therefore, Denver would get the wildcard.

However, I think "common games" must apply to all three teams in this scenario (similar to how Cincy's win over Denver isn't applicable unless they beat Buffalo also).  Therefore, the next tiebreaker is strength of victory, where Buffalo owns Denver even worse than Cincy.

871166[/snapback]

Not to rain on the parade, but I don't think we can. In that scenario, DEN, CIN, and BUF would have 5 total games against 4 common opponents: NE, BAL, IND, and SD. Denver finished 2-3 against those teams, Cincy is 1-3 plus tonight's game vs. IND, and Buffalo is 0-4 with the Ravens game still to go.

The only way for the Bills to beat Denver if the Broncos finish 9-7 is for the Chiefs to also finish at 9-7. That's partly why my preferred playoff scenario at the moment has Denver getting a spot after they beat the Bengals, and we wouldn't have to worry about the Chiefs.

Okay, so we can't win a 3-team tiebreaker with Cincy and Denver.  And we can't win a 2-team tiebreaker with Denver.  So that makes it very important that KC finishes 9-7 just in case Denver finishes 9-7.

871248[/snapback]

Exactly. That's another reason why the Pats/Jags game is pretty important. A Jags loss in Week 16 would give the Jags a 2-game losing streak and slim playoff chances when they head to KC, while a Jags win in Week 16 would give them confidence and a much better chance of making the playoffs heading into the final game.

Hey..question. The steelers are also 7-7. What happens if they win out and tie us at 9-7?

871367[/snapback]

That's no problem because the Steelers will lose the tiebreaker with the Bengals within their own division. Also, the Steelers will have a worse AFC record (6-6) than the Bills (7-5).

That's no problem because the Steelers will lose the tiebreaker with the Bengals within their own division. Also, the Steelers will have a worse AFC record (6-6) than the Bills (7-5).

871384[/snapback]

So we are rooting for them, since they play against Cinci the last week of the season. If cinci can lose tonight, and Pitt beats them in week 17, hoping to get to the playoffs... that would really help our playoff hopes.

Teams we are rooting for... :rolleyes:

New England

Miami

Steelers

Indianapolis

49ers

Kansas City