I can't believe no one is talking about Youboty.

BoondckCL

Thanks Pyrite. Good analysis. I didn't even see his name out there.

864292[/snapback]

I think it's notable that he was in there a lot and we did NOT hear his name. That's the kind of CB I want on my team! He'll get faster at recognizing and helping on running platys as he gets experience. For now, if he's not getting thrown at, he's starting off very well.

:P  wow, i guess you never thought of the fact that we started the game in nickel, which takes out a LB and puts in another CB.... Youboty  :w00t:

863960[/snapback]

My apologies for being inarticulate in the way I stated it but actually that was exactly what I said.

I tended to focus on what the players were actually doing rather than basing it on a static notion of what the players were doing based on the traditional nickle play or the traditional 3/4 or 4/3 roles.

The fascinating thing about the Jauron/Fewell scheme is that they used the "nickle" on non-traditional nickle down and distances.

By employing the nickle on first and ten or second and whatever, they essentially invited NYJ to run on them and pick up the 4-6 yards the nickle is happy to give up on a 3ed and long yardage.

They demanded of the extra nickle DB that he play the traditional role of an LB amd be there to stop the run.

The fact they went with Youbouty rather than Wire who they brought in to replace Crowell in the last win was actually a tremendous endorsement of their faith in Youbouty to play the game correctly.

Based on the results this is what seemed to happen.

They demanded of the extra nickle DB that he play the traditional role of an LB amd be there to stop the run.

The fact they went with Youbouty rather than Wire who they brought in to replace Crowell in the last win was actually a tremendous endorsement of their faith in Youbouty to play the game correctly.

865126[/snapback]

Interesting point.

What does this have to say about his CB skills, then. If they felt that he or wire were good enough to fill that hole, wouldn't they have ran the 4-3?

Another POV: If Youboty was relied on so much, why hasn't he played a bigger role so far this season?

remember this, in the year 2025, you'll hear his name as he enters the Hall of fame,

I figure by then we'll all be bar coded, and when you enter stores, museum, your favorite mcdonald's an automated voice will say hello and your name.

Interesting point.

What does this have to say about his CB skills, then.  If they felt that he or wire were good enough to fill that hole, wouldn't they have ran the 4-3?

Another POV:  If Youboty was relied on so much, why hasn't he played a bigger role so far this season?

865137[/snapback]

One thing true of most of us humans, change is hard. We often will not do it until forced to do it. This is particularly true when things seem to be going well.

My guess (and it is simply a guess) is that in the first half of the season when the Bills had lost several games in a row and even when one of the things not going well was McGee's play at CB, Youbouty was still lagging from missing camp and his late start,

In the second half of the season things turned around, and the pass D was one thing generally going well as we racked up wins against GB and other teams and did well in the loss to Indy. The run D sucked as LT ran over us, but even though Youbouty began to show well in practice (he must have since the Bills utilized him alot this past game and even gave him a start) there was no reason to change at that point/

However, the Crowell fracture forced a change and that is when they went to Youbouty.

There certainly is a history of players showing what they can do and suddenly (so it seems) they experience great on field success. McGahee is probably the most recent example of a player who looked OK at best in his first games subbing for Henry, but the word came out of practice that he had found an extra gear and certainly his first full season showed that.