OG Kris Dielman, FA next year

Dibs

I saw recently in an article that Kris Dielman OG for SD is not only very good but is a FA next year. The article even puts him ahead of Steinbach.

I'd be interested in the boards OL experts opinions on him.....the more good OG FAs next off-season the better. Our OL may be playing better but we still don't seem to get any push up the middle(3rd & 1 is becoming scary)

Enquiring minds want to know.

I don't think the article meant to say that Dielman is better than Steinbach.  But he could be a worthwhile pickup.

851292[/snapback]

I don't know....it did say "So here's a look at some of the free agents who figure to have a realistic chance of being available, and who are likely to attract attention, starting with the best:" but it might just have meant the first few.....another FA on the list that piqued my interest is WR Kevin Curtis from the Rams....I doubt they will afford him & he showed last season when Bruce & Holt were out that he can be a top #2 WR.

Still waiting to see a comprehensive list of 2007 free agents released, but basically the common theme of the preliminary lists like the one you linked is that there won't be any good free agent DTs available.

Sigh. It's such a CRAPSHOOT to draft DTs (not to mention their gestation period is longer) but looks like we'll have to do it.

Still waiting to see a comprehensive list of 2007 free agents released, but basically the common theme of the preliminary lists like the one you linked is that there won't be any good free agent DTs available.

Sigh.  It's such a CRAPSHOOT to draft DTs (not to mention their gestation period is longer) but looks like we'll have to do it.

851319[/snapback]

We already drafted McCargo in the 1st round....He will come back stronger next year. Hopefully, Kyle Williams will also be able to bulk up and have a full off season conditioning program. Hopefully we don't have to draft a DT in the 1st round....We need a player who can come and start off at any of position of need.....

We already drafted McCargo in the 1st round....He will  come back stronger next year.  Hopefully, Kyle Williams will also be able to bulk up and have a full off season conditioning program.  Hopefully we don't have to draft a DT in the 1st round....We need a player who can come and start off at any of position of need.....

851565[/snapback]

We need a difference maker at DT. Right now we're probably the worst team in the league at stopping the run, or if we're not 32, then we're 31 or 30. We need to add a very talented runstopper to significantly alter that and it doesn't look like this person will be available in free agency. McCargo was drafted to be a gapshooter playmaker, not a stout runstopper, and KW, while scrappy, probably will always be limited in that area by his body potential.

PFW's list (not on-line, print - 11/20/06 issue) of the top 10 2007 FA's to watch:

1. Dwight Freeney

2. Lance Briggs

3. Tony Gonzalez

4. Eric Steinbach

5. Justin Smith

6. Charles Grant

7. Patrick Kerney

8. Kris Dielman

9. Nate Clements

10. Adalius Thomas

We need a difference maker at DT.  Right now we're probably the worst team in the league at stopping the run, or if we're not 32, then we're 31 or 30.  We need to add a very talented runstopper to significantly alter that and it doesn't look like this person will be available in free agency.  McCargo was drafted to be a gapshooter playmaker, not a stout runstopper, and KW, while scrappy, probably will always be limited in that area by his body potential.

851611[/snapback]

My problem is even if we pick in the middle of the pack and get a DT in the 1st round, there is no guarantee he is going to be a stud from day 1. Even Winfork who was a 17th pick took 2-3 years to become a good penetrating DT....

I think Kyle Williams with his experience this year and a full off season conditioning program can be that run stopper. As you said, there is not going to be such a player in FA.

My problem is even if we pick in the middle of the pack and get a DT in the 1st round, there is no guarantee he is going to be a stud from day 1.  Even Winfork who was a 17th pick took 2-3 years to become a good penetrating DT....

I think Kyle Williams with his experience this year and a full off season conditioning program can be that run stopper.  As you said,  there is not going to be such a player in FA.

I agree totally. Give Williams and McCargo a full off-season of strength and conditioning and see where they're at next year. If anything, draft a run-stopping DT in the later rounds like they did with Williams.