Good read about Herman Edwards

RVJ

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...330/1007/SPORTS

When it comes to producing an error-free team, Edwards goes the extra mile. The Jets have two officials, one a retired NFL referee and the other the timekeeper at Giants Stadium, work each practice all during the regular season. Most teams, like the Bills, have officials at some of their training camp practices, but none during the regular season.

"Right now, we have officials who come to practice and they throw the flags," Edwards said. "I talk about it. I emphasize it. I write the penalties down and put the guy's numbers on the board every day, saying, 'This is how many penalties you've had. You can't beat yourself. We can't do this.'"

Edwards isn't big on fining millionaires. Instead, he plays to their pride.

"One thing players don't want is to seem like they're hurting the football team," he said. "When you make a strong commitment that this is what we're about and this is what we're going to do, they get it. They don't want to see their number up there. For the most part it's worked out for us."

Wow - that's pretty impressive. Too bad Mularkey didn't take the ref thing a few steps further from training camp into the regular season like Edwards does. Maybe its not too late?

The most interesting thing is the concept of going for the player's pride, not pocketbook. This week Mularkey showed films to the whole team together, pointing out mistakes, to try and increase the feeling of accountability. The bottom line is players have to feel personally accountable to the team to not screw up.