The Road to Glendale...

bartshan-83

I'd say that USC is the only real threat to Michigan's shot at the Bucks again...but just for fun.

Michigan

Rundown: They are in the drivers seat...but there is nothing they can do but sit and wait. Pretty clearly the 2nd best team in the nation, but not everyone thinks they should get another shot.

What needs to happen: USC loss or close win, Florida loss or close win, ND not beating USC by more than 40, Mike Hart not breaking an ankle in the shower.

Chance of Success: 60%

USC

Rundown: They actually have their destiny ALMOST completely in their hands. All it will take is two very convincing wins to get them into the big game. Beat ND by 14+ and UCLA by the same and I think we have a weiner. They have the fact that a rematch is unpopular going for them too.

What needs to happen: Two convincing wins, Florida not torching FSU and SEC winner and a little luck from the polls.

Chance of Success: 25%

Florida

Rundown: In decent shape, and they can make their case with a big win over Arkansas in SEC title game. But they will most likely need USC to lose or at least stumble.

What needs to happen: Convincing wins over FSU and Arkansas (and I mean more convincing than USC), USC loss and a lot of luck from the polls

Chance of Success: 10%

Notre Dame

Rundown: Michigan blowout will be their undoing...making that game closer could end up being the difference maker. Would be in decent shape, but even if stars align, it would take a minor miracle to jump the Wolverines in any poll.

What needs to happen: Huge win over USC, Florida loss and/or Arkansas loss (probably both) and some serious luck of the Irish.

Chance of Success: 4%

Arkansas

Rundown: Basically elminated, but the USC blowout was ages ago. The stars need to align big time.

What needs to happen: USC over ND, UCLA over USC, Florida over FSU then two HUGE wins over LSU and Florida.

Chance of Success: 1%

Bart says: Michigan

I don't like it, but I don't see any other way. I don't see USC beating ND and even if they do, I can't see it being by more than 10. The rest have too much ground to make up...a little too late.

Where's Rutgers? They only have 1 loss and...

JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING.  :P  :D

844262[/snapback]

I almost gave them a play for you, Ed...Ah what the hell.

Rutgers

Rundown: They had a shot to cause the most chaos to the BCS in its short history. They almost certainly would have been left out of the title game as the only undefeated team from a BCS contest. They could have driven a change in the Bowl selection process.

What needs to happen: Contact Dr. Emmitt Brown, haul that DeLorean back to 3 weeks ago and tell Ed to stop talking so much sht and jinxing them. Then while they were at it, unblock South Carolina's FG and break Troy Smith's arm.

Chance of Success: Doubtful.

Fixed!

844545[/snapback]

good. because we're going to win.

Its actually pathetic. Any normal year, you have to toss your student coupon in with a group and hope you get tickets for the UF game. They are always sold out before individual coupon turn-in (up to 10 tix) day even starts. This year, group ticketing was last week. Individual tix available for pick-up last friday. Someone in our lab here just went and got 2 tickets today. Between the fact that we suck, bobby's senile, and the holiday, no one is going.

Me, i am gonna be sitting on the couch with beer and thanksgiving leftovers watching the game and flipping channels.

The Trojans win and they're in. Other than that, it should probably be Michigan. If ND beats USC, Michigan still beat ND. Florida has a jump to make and needs to be overpowering against Arkansas. Two wins over LSU and Florida would look good for Arkansas, but they need USC to lose since that's the Hogs' only loss. Even still, it might not be enough to jump Michigan.

That said, I throw some completely random guesses out there as to what the point spreads would be if each of these teams made it. Ohio State is the favorite in all games:

Michigan +4 - Played OSU close in Columbus, but were the Bucks ever really in jeopardy?

USC +5.5 - I can't remember the last time the Trojans got points

Arkansas +7- If they're there, that means they were impressive vs. LSU and Florida. Best team in best conference

Notre Dame +8- Like in the Michigan game, stopping OSU would be the problem. Irish couldn't do it in the Fiesta Bowl

Florida +8.5- I can't see their offense putting up enough points to run with Troy and the boys.

I'd say that USC is the only real threat to Michigan's shot at the Bucks again...but just for fun.

Michigan

Rundown: They are in the drivers seat...but there is nothing they can do but sit and wait.  Pretty clearly the 2nd best team in the nation, but not everyone thinks they should get another shot.

What needs to happen:  USC loss or close win, Florida loss or close win, ND not beating USC by more than 40, Mike Hart not breaking an ankle in the shower.

Chance of Success: 60%

USC

Rundown: They actually have their destiny ALMOST completely in their hands.  All it will take is two very convincing wins to get them into the big game.  Beat ND by 14+ and UCLA by the same and I think we have a weiner.  They have the fact that a rematch is unpopular going for them too.

What needs to happen: Two convincing wins, Florida not torching FSU and SEC winner and a little luck from the polls.

Chance of Success: 25%

Florida

Rundown: In decent shape, and they can make their case with a big win over Arkansas in SEC title game.  But they will most likely need USC to lose or at least stumble.

What needs to happen: Convincing wins over FSU and Arkansas (and I mean more convincing than USC), USC loss and a lot of luck from the polls

Chance of Success: 10%

Notre Dame

Rundown: Michigan blowout will be their undoing...making that game closer could end up being the difference maker.  Would be in decent shape, but even if stars align, it would take a minor miracle to jump the Wolverines in any poll.

What needs to happen: Huge win over USC, Florida loss and/or Arkansas loss (probably both) and some serious luck of the Irish.

Chance of Success: 4%

Arkansas

Rundown:  Basically elminated, but the USC blowout was ages ago.  The stars need to align big time.

What needs to happen:  USC over ND, UCLA over USC, Florida over FSU then two HUGE wins over LSU and Florida.

Chance of Success: 1%

Bart says: Michigan

I don't like it, but I don't see any other way.  I don't see USC beating ND and even if they do, I can't see it being by more than 10.  The rest have too much ground to make up...a little too late.

844109[/snapback]

Mich would be a surprise to me if USC wins out. The BCS is about tv $ and a USC - OSU tilt is money in the bank.

FL and ND are very outside chances. ND lining up all 3 of the service academies this year...

EDIT...I don't mean to knock ND - certainly a good club.

good. because we're going to win.

Its actually pathetic. Any normal year, you have to toss your student coupon in with a group and hope you get tickets for the UF game. They are always sold out before individual coupon turn-in (up to 10 tix) day even starts. This year, group ticketing was last week. Individual tix available for pick-up last friday. Someone in our lab here just went and got 2 tickets today. Between the fact that we suck, bobby's senile, and the holiday, no one is going.

Me, i am gonna be sitting on the couch with beer and thanksgiving leftovers watching the game and flipping channels.

844576[/snapback]

You're right that is is pathetic. The fact that I didn't know this was Florida/Florida State week is ridiculous. That used to be my favorite non ND/bowl game of the year. Every year the winner was a NATL championship favorite/candidate.

Imagine if Zook was still the coach at UF....we'd be sitting down for a sweet battle of possibly two unranked teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.