Petition to remove OJ

Of all the things we need to worry about, such as, a struggling football team, high gas prices, a war without end in Iraq, a useless county government.........Need I name more............. :rolleyes:

Why are we wasting server space commenting on a piece of crap like OJ.  Let him stay up there as a warning to everyone  <_<

844864[/snapback]

Wow, hello to you too.

Back in 1977 when I was 6 years old he was like an idol to me. As far as I was concerned when ever his name was mentioned I was proud that he was a Bills player.

Now, when I hear or see him my stomach turns. Regardless of what he did on the field as a Bill, I consider him a murdering butcher and should be forever removed from the wall of fame.

He is a disgrace as a human being. ;)

844880[/snapback]

As is your Avatar, not all drunk Irish cops beat people.

And that is your opinion...  You are not in control of the decision.

Was he found guilty?

If you can't separate his LEGAL non-guilt from your PERSONAL judgement of him...  Does that say you have utter contempt for the US legal system?

As much as the system is flawed... I honor the system...

Good. Honor this system then: he was found liable for Golman's death. On top of that, he was found liable for battery of a woman. Are those good enough pieces of objective evidence or not?

And in those blinded eyes (of the system), he is innocent of the criminal charges...

It is FAR more awful if the system convict an innocent man than not convict a guilty man... IMO.

844760[/snapback]

I agree, but removing his name does not make him guilty of a crime. It just shows that he's not worthy of being honored as a Buffalo hero.

his name was put up to remember what he did for the team and fans when he played.

i personally i dont even consiter of the current OJ and the former Bills RB as the same person.

843396[/snapback]

True, but when he writes a book about how he would "hypothetically" kill his ex-wife and her friend, then you have to ask where does the football acomplishments end and this horrible legacy begin? At this point, they are interchangeable and the fact that OJ would participate is such a ridiculous concept, with such a contemptous approach, I say its time to remove him from the wall. Considering this brazen book could inspire Federal Prosecuters to press new charges, I say its time to remove the visual reminder of our disgraced football hero. This is a sad concept for Bills fans, but isn't this enough?

I agree with this line of thinking 99% of the time. But in life there no 100% absolutes.

And this is a good time for an exception.

I think a guy who committed a double murder should be off our wall of fame no matter

what he accomplished on the field. I just signed the petition.

He should remain on the Wall for his achievments on the field.  What happens off the field should not affect his accomplishments.

843391[/snapback]

Different line of thinking-

What if the alleged incident happend pre-career rather than post-career-

What if there's a college football player who is 19 years old, and his girlfriend is murdered, and all of the evidence is pointing strictly at him. It's obvious he was probably responsible for her death. But for whatever reason, tampered crime scene, police incompetence, schitty prosecutors, etc., he is found not guilty. The Bills then draft this kid and he becomes an OJ/Thurman type RB, plays 12 successful seasons in Buffalo, leads the team to two Super Bowls, and was active in local charity, and never has one incident with the law. Don't you think they would put his name and number on the Wall of Fame? Would they decline to put him up because of something that happened in a completely different time and phase of his life? I think we all know he'd be up there. So why take OJ down because of something that occurred completely outside the realm of what got him up there in the first place?

The Wall specifically has a #32 up there next to OJ Simpson. It honors what he accomplished while wearing that uniform, and what he accomplished during one portion of his life. Whenever you see a picture of OJ now, all that comes to mind is "murderer." Isn't it nice to see his name next to #32 in a football context, and recall a few of the positive memories?

I agree he is a scumbag, and should be treated like such. But keep him on the Wall. If anything, use it as a cautionary tale for your kids about who they pick as their heroes, and that there can be two sides to every persona.

By the way, internet petitions ALWAYS work....

Different line of thinking-

What if the alleged incident happend pre-career rather than post-career-

What if there's a college football player who is 19 years old, and his girlfriend is murdered, and all of the evidence is pointing strictly at him.  It's obvious he was probably responsible for her death.  But for whatever reason, tampered crime scene, police incompetence, schitty prosecutors, etc., he is found not guilty.  The Bills then draft this kid...

845635[/snapback]

Your scenario would ideally end right there because I would hope that the Bills wouldn't draft him.

Your scenario would ideally end right there because I would hope that the Bills wouldn't draft him.

845640[/snapback]

Draft him, sign him, pick him up, whatever. Don't pretend the NFL doesn't give 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. Pro Bowl talent makes the majority of NFL GM's blind to the potential warts.

Draft him, sign him, pick him up, whatever.  Don't pretend the NFL doesn't give 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances.  Pro Bowl talent makes the majority of NFL GM's blind to the potential warts.

845643[/snapback]

Actually, with Marv as GM, I don't see a player like that getting drafted/signed/traded for/etc. The Dolphins on the other hand would give him a tryout, just ask Marcus Vick