Playoff Possibilities?

stonefly42

Are you insane? We didn't have a playoff shot when it was the preseason.

This year is all about preparing for the next three. Some people are pussies and can't handle that fact, but it is the truth. And I'm OK with that. I don't like it, but I can deal with it.

I know we like to give up on the season around this time, especially while visions of Norwood dance in our heads, but does anyone have any idea if we still have a playoff shot?  Do we still have something to cheer for this year?

839475[/snapback]

The rest of the AFC would have to collapse for us to make the playoffs.

839479[/snapback]

Not really. The biggest hurdle is not the other teams collapsing but the Bills winning out. 2 years ago we started 0-4 and then 3-6. We won 6 straight but lost that season finale against the Steelers that would have put us in the playoffs. With this team I just don't see it unless the O-line improves dramatically as the guys settle to their new positions. CV who was playing hurt being replaced by Preston can be a step in the right direction if Preston improves with playing time. I don't see this team making the move but you never know. Let's hope it starts this week and we blow out the Texans; it would feel good to see a Bills team dominate for a change!

Still mathematically possible but highly improbable

The Pats have a 3 game lead plus tiebreaker

Baltimore and Indy have solid leads in their division

Denver and SD are tied for AFC West lead. Whoever doesn't win the West will be a wildcard

The final wildcard looks like

5-4 NYJ, Jax, KC

4-5 Cincy

3-6 Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland, Pitt

2-7 Tenn, Oak

Still mathematically possible but highly improbable

The Pats have a 3 game lead plus tiebreaker

Baltimore and Indy have solid leads in their division

Denver and SD are tied for AFC West lead.  Whoever doesn't win the West will be a wildcard

The final wildcard looks like

5-4 NYJ, Jax, KC

4-5 Cincy

3-6 Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland, Pitt

2-7 Tenn, Oak

839486[/snapback]

3 of our last 7 games are against teams on your final wildcard list with records better or equal to ours: NYJ, Jax,Mia. And there are only 2 games that seperate us. While I don't think we can pull it out you never know. Besides the Bear and 2nd Pats game we have had a chance to win every game. If we do finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs, we will look back at the close ones that we let get away. But then again we won 3 close games as well! I would love a strong finish to at least make the team exciting. I don't want to see us get a top 5 pick next year for if that pick doesn't pan out we will be stuck with a high priced bust for 4 years.

Do you really think that this team can win 2 games in a row?  I don't.  Forget the playoffs.  Let's try for 2 first.  Right now, I'm looking for 1 in a row.

839505[/snapback]

No, but I can at least hope. The same way I felt last week against the Colts as most felt we had no chance but we almost came through. I hope the Bills can at least give me some hope the rest of the year; that's all we have left!

It's all about the hope. Can the Bills clean the table? No, probably not; but that was also an improbablility when we were able to taste the playoffs when they lost to the Steelers. Playoff hopes are always fun; and what would be better to build on than a Wild Card playoff spot? Not much for a team like ours! Let's cheer for our boys and see what happens.

Not really. The biggest hurdle is not the other teams collapsing but the Bills winning out. 2 years ago we started 0-4 and then 3-6. We won 6 straight but lost that season finale against the Steelers that would have put us in the playoffs.

839484[/snapback]

I think you are forgetting how the Jets collapsed - losing 4 out of their past 6, giving us that opportunity.

I think you are forgetting how the Jets collapsed - losing 4 out of their past 6, giving us that opportunity.

839528[/snapback]

That's then. This year if we win out (which will not happen but at least I can hope) they will make the playoffs.

I don't see that happening, obviously.  In fact I don't see us making the playoffs for a long time (5 years).

839517[/snapback]

I'm sorry but has the TD reign of terror warped your head into thinking that it takes 5 years to build a NFL team?

While we have had to sit through a mind numbing 7 years to see our team return to the playoffs it by no means is the norm in the NFL.

Let's just win one game at a time.

Also this year is similar to 2 years ago in a sense that we have a weak schedule, then finish against a playoff team who will likely be resting players.

839595[/snapback]

I'm not expecting much but if we win our next 3; aginst the Texans, Jaguars, and Chargers then I might get my hopes up for the last 4 games are very winnable; especially if the Ravens don't have anything to gain playing that last game. But just our luck their backup RB has a breakout game and we lose and miss the playoffs!

Let's just win one game at a time.

Also this year is similar to 2 years ago in a sense that we have a weak schedule, then finish against a playoff team who will likely be resting players.

839595[/snapback]

Exactly. Another key beyond this also is that while it is fine for us fans to face reality (though many of us rarely do for our team since it is not required) the coaching staff should never give up as long as it is mathematically possible.

While they should not insist that we will make the playoffs loudly, they also should not give up on the possibility,

Wade deserved to be canned in his final year when he publicly conceded that the Bills were not making the playoffs due to our lousy record with three games left. In contrast, Indy under Mora (I think) had the same record as us and actually ran the table (including beating a Bills team coached by Wade who had given up) and lo and behold they made the playoffs.

If some fans give up even before the season starts then so be it, but I hope we never see an HC or anyone connected with running the team give up prior to the fat lady singing.