Next year we need to develop an offensive identity

bluv

Last year Levy came in and basically said we will become a Tampa style D that emphasizes faster quicker players. So thru free agency and the draft we went out and got players to fit the scheme. While we are not the best in the league, at least we have something to build off and improve on for next year. We need the same on offense. Either we need to be a West coast offense, singleback, zone blocking;etc. We need to come up with an offensive identity so that we can have something to build upon. Then we can bring in the type of players that are going to fit that style. Right now we have no identity, no direction, or nothing to build upon. The only threat we have is Evans and week in and week out defenses find out a way to limit his catches. At least if we run our current scheme, at least move Lee around so that defenses have a harder time containing him and use him like the Panthers use Steve Smith. He should definitely be used as a decoy a lot more and given the chance to gain yards after the catch.

We want to be a power running team but then we can run the ball in key situations. We don't make defenses pay for concentrating and bringing defenders up to stop the run. There is never any chemistry on offense except maybe on the 1st 2-3 drives of games. Currently we have small quick WR but we don't put them in position to take advantage of that. That is why I say next year we need to come up with an offensive philosophy and bring in new players that will fit that mode. I know some will say change the QB but drafting one is stupid. If we can bring in a veteran Qb for cheap; maybe. But if we are going to stick with JP we need an offensive identity. I also would love to see him have some type of authority to call an audible of some type.

I hear "identity" a lot and I have no idea what it means.

834765[/snapback]

Well when think of Philly or Green Bay you think off a West Coast Offense. When you play the Colts they use a singleback spread offense. Most succesful offensive teams can both pass and run with their base personell. Those that have to do a lot of substituing like us, aren't as succesful because they become predictable. For instance if we were a West Coast team then we could expect to seea lot more quick 3 step drops and more passes to the TE's and RBs. We barely pass when we have a FB in the game and when we do the backs and TE's are rarely thrown to. When we go 3 WR we never run the ball. I want to see an offensive scheme in which we have versality in both run and the pass.

Well when think of Philly or Green Bay you think off a West Coast Offense. When you play the Colts they use a singleback spread offense. Most succesful offensive teams can both pass and run with their base personell. Those that have to do a lot of substituing like us, aren't as succesful because they become predictable. For instance if we were a West Coast team then we could expect to seea lot more quick 3 step drops and more passes to the TE's and RBs. We barely pass when we have a FB in the game and when we do the backs and TE's are rarely thrown to. When we go 3 WR we never run the ball. I want to see an offensive scheme in which we have versality in both run and the pass.

834774[/snapback]

Good response. I think one of our problems is that between our FB, 2nd TE and 3rd WR, none of them are really any good so there's no clear-cut formation that puts our best players on the field. Also fwiw the Patriots have never really had an identity on either side of the ball, but they seem to have smarter players than us.

Good response.  I think one of our problems is that between our FB, 2nd TE and 3rd WR, none of them are really any good so there's no clear-cut formation that puts our best players on the field.  Also fwiw the Patriots have never really had an identity on either side of the ball, but they seem to have smarter players than us.

834785[/snapback]

The Pats are mostly run a singleback set with 2 TE and 2 WR. They can run or pass effiecently withthat base personell. Unless it is 3rd and short or 3rd and 10 plus, 85% of the time you will see the Pats with that lineup. We run too many different personell groups in the first few drives were plays are scripted that we never establish anything. I mean we can't even settle on WR. Evans is the only WR who gets 95% of the snaps. The whole year there has been a shuffle between Price and Reed at the 2nd WR. Since everyone knows Reed is a better run blocker and we tend to run the ball when he is in doesn't that make you predictable? How many teams you know shuffle their 2nd WR as much as the Bills do? If we want to be a smash mouth team I say you have to be able to at least pass with that smash mouth personell group and use more short passes to the backs and TE's to keep he chains moving and throw in an occasional playaction to go deep. That way we stay out of 3rd and long. If we wantutilize our team speed at WR and spread defense out then we have to be able to run the ball with that group. Have you ever notice that we sometimes have a good drive going and then all off a sudden we change modes and personell midstream and then have a negative play or penalty that puts us in a bad 3rd down situation. We never force the D to have to adjust to us for we never establish anything.

Last year Levy came in and basically said we will become a Tampa style D that emphasizes faster quicker players. So thru free agency and the draft we went out and got players to fit the scheme. While we are not the best in the league, at least we have something to build off and improve on for next year. We need the same on offense. Either we need to be a West coast offense, singleback, zone blocking;etc. We need to come up with an offensive identity so that we can have something to build upon. Then we can bring in the type of players that are going to fit that style. Right now we have no identity, no direction, or nothing to build upon. The only threat we have is Evans and week in and week out defenses find out a way to limit his catches. At least if we run our current scheme, at least move Lee around so that defenses have a harder time containing him and use him like the Panthers use Steve Smith. He should definitely be used as a decoy a lot more and given the chance to gain yards after the catch.

We want to be a power running team but then we can run the ball in key situations. We don't make defenses pay for concentrating and bringing defenders up to stop the run. There is never any chemistry on offense except maybe on the 1st 2-3 drives of games. Currently we have small quick WR but we don't put them in position to take advantage of that. That is why I say next year we need to come up with an offensive philosophy and bring in new players that will fit that mode. I know some will say change the QB but drafting one is stupid. If we can bring in a veteran Qb for cheap; maybe. But if we are going to stick with JP we need an offensive identity. I also would love to see him have some type of authority to call an audible of some type.

834760[/snapback]

Their defensive identity is as a unit that can't stop the run, and if they even try to put 7 in the box like a normal defense, they can be had thru the air as well. Credit the coaches for going into the bye week in shambles and coming out realizing that if they didn't give up on trying to win the game at the LOS, they would suffer a series of humiliating blowouts.

Their defensive identity is as a unit that can't stop the run, and if they even try to put 7 in the box like a normal defense, they can be had thru the air as well.  Credit the coaches for going into the bye week in shambles and coming out realizing that if they didn't give up on trying to win the game at the LOS, they would suffer a series of humiliating blowouts.

834868[/snapback]

The defensive identity could be "bend, don't break," with the emphasis on winning the turnover battle. The past few weeks they've pretty much done that.

I'm not saying by any means they're any great shakes against the run -- they're not by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully McCargo can come back and actually make more of a difference next year.

Their defensive identity is as a unit that can't stop the run, and if they even try to put 7 in the box like a normal defense, they can be had thru the air as well.  Credit the coaches for going into the bye week in shambles and coming out realizing that if they didn't give up on trying to win the game at the LOS, they would suffer a series of humiliating blowouts.

834868[/snapback]

But at least they have a scheme so that they can build upon that and bring in upgrades to fit that scheme. For instance they were looking to add DT that fit the scheme such as McFarland or Ryan Pickett before the season. We have the DE's to fit the scheme. The LB's can fit almost any scheme and 2 young safeties have done an OK job and can build off next year. The offense is a different story as weh haven't establish anything. At least the O-line shuffle gave us the identity that we will be a power running team to the left and they run a few misdirections off that. But other than that no other identity besides getting sacked! There are no personell or formation established. No They never exploit a defense and find a weak link like teams do in reverse to us. We just have no direction on offense.