If the Bills do not trust JP Losman

Cornerville

High-powered offense for an opponent. The obvious strategy is to run the ball and run the clock. How do you think the Giants won XXV? Because Hostetler was a stud?

The tactics today had nothing to do with faith in Losman, and everything to do with common sense against an offense like Indy's. Pull it together and freaking think for a change.

I agree that they are not giving JP a chance to succeed. Why not use JP's legs or do more rollouts or throw more or whatever. The answer is : This season is in the bag already so I think what Fairchild is trying to do is letting JP learn by fire as well as seeing him deal with adversity. They are keeping him in the pocket so he can learn to react faster. Then when we get more help next year on the line, JP will be thinking and reacting ahead faster and better at reading defenses. If you run him all over the field, he may get hurt and doesn't get the experiance they want him to get. I don't think they want to use all JP's assets yet.

It's painful to watch, it looks like very little progress for JP but it's 2 games now with no turnovers and thanks mostly to Special teams and Defense they made it closer than I expected. Remember all the preseason posts about rebuilding and the losses we will take this year with our youth? We're seeing it. We need more help in a few areas, both lines, LB and a back to go with A train because I don't think McGahee will be back. We are a year away from respectable and 2 years from the playoffs. Painful as it is to say about my favorite team of 46 years. Marv needs to be very active in FA and have another great draft. Keep the faith!

Here is the thing:

JP has a strong arm...but yet the Bills coaching staff does not trust his ability to do, really much of anything, which severely limits the Bills offense.

If the Bills are going to be so conserative, as nuts as this sounds (and I know KH is NOT the long term answer)...id rather see the dink and dunk of KH who can move the ball and win some more games....KH would be better in that kind of offense versus an inexperienced QB who the coaches do not trust and that HAS to affect JP's confidence.

834041[/snapback]

Holcomb is an excellent practitioner of the death by 1000 small cuts style of offense. He's able to achieve success with that kind of offense even when the pass protection isn't there.

That said, I don't see Holcomb as the answer. Would the Bills win a few more games this year, with Holcomb as the QB? Probably. But while those wins wouldn't get us to the playoffs, they'd get us further away from Brady Quinn.

The way I see it, the team needs to play either JP or Nall for the rest of the year. If one of those guys shows something, you can ignore the QB position in the upcoming draft. If neither guy shows anything, then hopefully bad QB play will have led to enough losses that you can take Quinn.

Losman had d-linemen on him when the ball was snapped. My problem is Steve Fairchild doesn't use his mobility. Roll the kid out and let him make plays.

834612[/snapback]

I don't see how one rollout a quarter(ish) could hurt JPs 'pocker development'.....if anything it would give the opposing D something else to think about rather than simply "collapse pocket....kill QB"...and this in turn might hopefully give him a mili-second more on his normal 'pocket passes'.

Also.....why not call some play-action? If we are going to run 3-1 they might just bite on the fake?

Losman had d-linemen on him when the ball was snapped. My problem is Steve Fairchild doesn't use his mobility. Roll the kid out and let him make plays.

834612[/snapback]

first one to say anything about the coordinator. thank god. why not run some screen plays or options or short 5 yard passes. it seems every pass is a 7 step drop. what the heck are they thinking, they know their line is junk and they never even give him a chance. how are they gonna see what he can do when he cant even get the ball off. just let the kid play for god sakes. that one shovel pass i saw had mcgehee get what like 60 yards. but he didnt get into the endzone, never saw that from OJ. im afraid hes got no heart. i like the Train

Holcomb is an excellent practitioner of the death by 1000 small cuts style of offense. He's able to achieve success with that kind of offense even when the pass protection isn't there.

That said, I don't see Holcomb as the answer. Would the Bills win a few more games this year, with Holcomb as the QB? Probably. But while those wins wouldn't get us to the playoffs, they'd get us further away from Brady Quinn.

The way I see it, the team needs to play either JP or Nall for the rest of the year. If one of those guys shows something, you can ignore the QB position in the upcoming draft. If neither guy shows anything, then hopefully bad QB play will have led to enough losses that you can take Quinn.

834677[/snapback]

At this point Im not sure I want to see the Bills do down the road of taking a QB and hoping he becomes good etc...now I am not sure what veteran QB's would be available in FA next year (this assuming JP does not turn things around), but if there is a McNair-type move the Bills can make where they guy they could get would help bring instant stability and leadership to the Bills offense, then I am all for it.

That is another major issue IMO with this offense...who on the offense has leadership capabilities? They need to get guys on this offense who have a proven track record of WINNING football games...maybe even getting 1-2 guys like that will prove to be a major difference.

At this point Im not sure I want to see the Bills do down the road of taking a QB and hoping he becomes good etc...now I am not sure what veteran QB's would be available in FA next year (this assuming JP does not turn things around), but if there is a McNair-type move the Bills can make where they guy they could get would help bring instant stability and leadership to the Bills offense, then I am all for it.

That is another major issue IMO with this offense...who on the offense has leadership capabilities?  They need to get guys on this offense who have a proven track record of WINNING football games...maybe even getting 1-2 guys like that will prove to be a major difference.

834908[/snapback]

This is a relatively young football team. An aging player like McNair wouldn't be a good fit. The QB position would fall apart just as the younger players started hitting their stride.

Okay, you say, well what about a guy who's a little younger like Drew Brees? The problem there is that Drew Brees style free agents are few and far between. Typically, if a team has a QB who's in his prime, and if he's good, there's no way they're letting him hit free agency. The only type of free agent QB you'll see is someone with baggage. Maybe he'll be too old like McNair or Bledsoe, maybe there'll be questions about his play (Harrington, Culpepper), or there will be injury concerns (Brees). There will always be something wrong with the guy, sometimes multiple somethings.

If the Bills can sign the next Drew Brees, great. But if they can't, and if nobody on the roster steps up between now and the end of the season, the Bills need to start thinking about what they're going to do in the draft.

This is a relatively young football team. An aging player like McNair wouldn't be a good fit. The QB position would fall apart just as the younger players started hitting their stride.

Okay, you say, well what about a guy who's a little younger like Drew Brees? The problem there is that Drew Brees style free agents are few and far between. Typically, if a team has a QB who's in his prime, and if he's good, there's no way they're letting him hit free agency. The only type of free agent QB you'll see is someone with baggage. Maybe he'll be too old like McNair or Bledsoe, maybe there'll be questions about his play (Harrington, Culpepper), or there will be injury concerns (Brees). There will always be something wrong with the guy, sometimes multiple somethings.

If the Bills can sign the next Drew Brees, great. But if they can't, and if nobody on the roster steps up between now and the end of the season, the Bills need to start thinking about what they're going to do in the draft.

834914[/snapback]

Totally agree.

IMO regardless if we stay with JP, or get a(some) vets.....we need to start drafting QBs on the second day. 3 QBs drafted in 20 years is disgusting.....no wonder we have not had a QB since Kelly.

What if Kelly and Craig DON'T play any better, what then?  Draft a QB next year in the first round?

834479[/snapback]

That's a must no matter how any of the QB's play the rest of the way. It is clear teh future of the team at QB is not on the current roster.

The Bills might as well go with a 2 TE and RB set and run the WingT or something.

I think the coaching staff doesnt trust the whole group....JP/OLINE/WR as a group(more OLINE then anything though)....

834490[/snapback]

Exactly. I know this board is made up of simpletons but why does everyone assume that because the offense is conservative, JP is the sole issue?

With Pennington and Preston on the right side, I'd be nervous to let JP throw too.

834612[/snapback]

What a weekend to be a Bills fan AND a Gamecock fan, huh??? Same score, same misery. When will this end??? :devil: