What does this staff have against

JStranger76

Just wondering, rollouts with the option of dumping it to the TE, going down field to a WR, or just taking off and running suit JP strengths so well, why don't we use some plays like Denver runs for Plummer? Many here are calling for more 3 step drops as well, I'M WITH YOU! This staff is overfocusing on stand back and learn to read defenses if you ask me. Throw some of this stuff in to help JP get in a groove. I have soured on JP but you figure he isn't getting all the help from the playcalling that he could. Maybe thats the plan though, this year JP is getting forced to learn to read defenses and when the staff feels he has a good enough grasp they will free him up more next year. He may get killed first that's the only drawback.

Just wondering, rollouts with the option of dumping it to the TE, going down field to a WR, or just taking off and running suit JP strengths so well, why don't we use some plays like Denver runs for Plummer? Many here are calling for more 3 step drops as well, I'M WITH YOU! This staff is overfocusing on stand back and learn to read defenses if you ask me. Throw some of this stuff in to help JP get in a groove. I have soured on JP but you figure he isn't getting all the help from the playcalling that he could. Maybe thats the plan though, this year JP is getting forced to learn to read defenses and when the staff feels he has a good enough grasp they will free him up more next year. He may get killed first that's the only drawback.

828232[/snapback]

Because a 3 step drop only works when the defense isn't rolling up the coverage. Our blocking situation tells defenses that they don't have to defend further than 15 yards because they'll get to the QB by then. Until we show that we can consistently block long enough to throw a 15-25 yard pass the entire defense will be compressed into the first 15 yard area. Think of it like throwing in the red zone. It's hard because the entire defense is in a small space and there isn't a lot of room. Unless we're able to get off and complete a few longer throws the defense won't defend it because they don't have to.

I have soured on JP but you figure he isn't getting all the help from the playcalling that he could.

828232[/snapback]

The biggest problem I have with the play-calling is how predictable it is. 1st down is virtually always a running play. 2nd down is a running play if it's 2nd and 7 or less and a passing down if it's longer. 3rd down is generally a passing down because the first two plays didn't pick up enough yardage for 3rd and short (and if it is 3rd and short the OL gets blown off the ball on the running play anyway).

You simply can't be this predictable and expect positive results. As Jaws says all the time, 1st down is the easiest down to throw the ball on. At some point the Bills need to take the shackles off the offense and let them at least attempt to pull their weight.

Maybe thats the plan though, this year JP is getting forced to learn to read defenses and when the staff feels he has a good enough grasp they will free him up more next year.

828232[/snapback]

That's kind of what I've been thinking is happening. Maybe next year if they can improve the blocking and give defenses something more to think about in terms of short and long passes we'll finally start seeing some results out of Losman. One can only hope.