Greatest QB rivalries

Steve O

brady v. manning and kelly v. marino are mirror images... There was one guy who put up better numbers, and there was one guy who won. Granted, brady won super bowls and kelly didn't, but they're both 100x more clutch than marino or manning. I'll take clutch over numbers anyday

brady v. manning and kelly v. marino are mirror images...  There was one guy who put up better numbers, and there was one guy who won.  Granted, brady won super bowls and kelly didn't, but they're both 100x more clutch than marino or manning.  I'll take clutch over numbers anyday

824461[/snapback]

Complete BS! Both Brady and Kelly played on better teams than Marino and Peyton. Bottom line: this is still and always has been a team game. Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman, and Jeff Hostetler weren't better than Kelly in the clutch, they just played on better teams!

Are you kidding me?

Manning is in an offense surrounded by all-pros and has had the same offensive coordinator throughout his career.

Brady has a bunch of scrubs at WR and a revolving door on both sides of the ball. The Pats success starts and ends with Brady.

Complete BS! Both Brady and Kelly played on better teams than Marino and Peyton. Bottom line: this is still and always has been a team game. Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman, and Jeff Hostetler weren't better than Kelly in the clutch, they just played on better teams!

824487[/snapback]

Are you kidding me?

Manning is in an offense surrounded by all-pros and has had the same offensive coordinator throughout his career.

Brady has a bunch of scrubs at WR and a revolving door on both sides of the ball. The Pats success starts and ends with Brady.

824525[/snapback]

Your so right but SO wrong, I believe he has also had the same HC, and system in place during his tenure with the pats. Yes he is a darn good QB, but you have to give others credit too.......what a QB can do with a good running game. Which NE has been doing for several years now! It is a team effort, and NE HC does a wonderful job off getting them to play!

What made Kelly-Marino I would say no worse then 2, was they played each other at least twice a year. Brady-Manning may get there, but they have faced each other no where near enough. Staubach-Bradshaw again, what a pair, but they just did not go head to head enough.

Your so right but SO wrong,  I believe he has also had the same HC, and system in place during his tenure with the pats.  Yes he is a darn good QB, but you have to give others credit too.......what a QB can do with a good running game.  Which NE has been doing for several years now!  It is a team effort, and NE HC does a wonderful job off getting them to play!

824531[/snapback]

When did Antowain Smith become better than Edge?

Are you kidding me?

824525[/snapback]

Let me make this clear: I'm not bashing Brady whatsoever. My cousin, who is a Jet's fan constantly hates on Brady; doesn't even have him in his top 5 QBs and I have to bring up points like those you have made all the time. The stupidest thing my cousin said was that Brady WR's made him look good so you know I flipped on him after Monday night. But with that being said, you can't bash Manning or a Marino because they lost to another QB who had a better team around them and make it seem like they are better QB's. I mean Elway was bashed for years until he won a SB when he was carried by a better team. What if the Bronco's had the last possesion on Sunday and had beat the Colts; nobody would be saying that Plummer out duel Manning. It isn't a fair challenge when one QB has to face the best D in the league and still rips it to shed while the other faces one of the worse. And that will be the case again Sunday night when the Colts and Pats face each other. Peyton will have to beat another top 3 D while Brady is facing one of the worse and should scor no less than 25 points. What if he had the Ravens D; he'd have 5-7 rings by now. People seemed to forget that this is a team game and QB's don't check each other.

Who said anything about being better than Edge? I just said they have been able to RUN the ball consistantly :w00t:

824593[/snapback]

And their running game wasn't good in 2003. The notion that Brady has always had a better team is simply a results-oriented excuse because the Patriots have won. Their defense was butchered with injuries that year and it was a 13-3 game in the 4th Qtr with Manning throwing 4 picks with Troy Brown in the secondary. A week later Jake Delhomme torched the Pats.

Are you kidding me?

824525[/snapback]

I love when people try and make this arguement. Its make me laugh a little. They always say "manning has this awesome supporting cast" ... well uhm ... have you ever thought of reversing that role? Have you ever thought that it was Manning that made the people around him so good? Think about it. Do you think Edge would have enjoyed as much success as he did without defenses being afraid of Manning throwing bullets over their head when they stacked the box? Think about this. Very rarely do you see Manning's receivers have to make outstanding catches ... this is because Manning *usually* puts the ball right where it is suppose to be. Thus you see Harrison and Wayne always catching those floaters in the back of the endzone. Perfect passes. Tom Brady had one of the best offensive coordinators in the game. Charlie Weiss. Manning (in his own right) is his own offensive coordinator.

That being said THIS SEASON Manning only has 1 superstar on his offense. Marvin Harrison. Reggie Wayne has never had a season over 83 receptions, and Brandon Stokely has been injured pretty much all year. Addai and Rhodes have pretty much the same rushing output that Edge had and Manning is still putting up numbers such as 2,000 yards, 15 TD's, and 2 INT's not even halfway into the season.

Personally I put great QB's into 2 categories.

1. Those who are AWESOME QB's that just dont do well in the late playoffs.

2. QB's who are GOOD, but NOT great, but simply thrive in the playoffs. They do awesome and thus win SB's.

Personally I would rather take the #2 QB, because thats the best chance of winning a SB. Yet still, thats not to say that the #2 QB is any better than the #1 QB. I dont think winning a SB should determine how good the PLAYER is. It should determine how good the TEAM is. PERSONALLY (and you dont have to agree), I think Peyton would have won the same 3 SB's Brady did if he was on the Patriots those years. If you look at Brady's passing output in the post season they are GOOD but not GREAT. Manning could have done that. Brady's defense and the 50 yard chuck rule that one year really hurt the Colts because they got INT'd 4 times ... they couldnt do that this year because they re-inforced the 5 yard chuck rule.

One last stat. Indi-Patriots overall record since the chuck rule was put back into affect? Indi 1 ... Patriots 0

Your argument is hogwash. Does Peyton make his supporting cast better? Certainly.

It's one thing to make first round talents better. That's what Manning did.

Edge (1st round #4 overall)

Harrison (1st round #17 overall)

Wayne (1st round #29 overall)

Dallas Clark (1st round #23 overall)

The Colts spend PREMIUM picks on offensive skill positions, making it MUCH EASIER for Peyton Manning to play at a high level. Not to mention, Manning has played with mostly the same cast year afer year, making it easier to build a rapport.

The Pats send their receivers packing year after year and despite significant personnel changes around him, Brady continues to excel.

The debate should end right there. Manning will never be the QB that Brady is. Simmons made some great points on this topic (and was hilarious too btw)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/061103

I love when people try and make this arguement. Its make me laugh a little. They always say "manning has this awesome supporting cast" ... well uhm ... have you ever thought of reversing that role? Have you ever thought that it was Manning that made the people around him so good? Think about it. Do you think Edge would have enjoyed as much success as he did without defenses being afraid of Manning throwing bullets over their head when they stacked the box? Think about this. Very rarely do you see Manning's receivers have to make outstanding catches ... this is because Manning *usually* puts the ball right where it is suppose to be. Thus you see Harrison and Wayne always catching those floaters in the back of the endzone. Perfect passes. Tom Brady had one of the best offensive coordinators in the game. Charlie Weiss. Manning (in his own right) is his own offensive coordinator.

That being said THIS SEASON Manning only has 1 superstar on his offense. Marvin Harrison. Reggie Wayne has never had a season over 83 receptions, and Brandon Stokely has been injured pretty much all year. Addai and Rhodes have pretty much the same rushing output that Edge had and Manning is still putting up numbers such as 2,000 yards, 15 TD's, and 2 INT's not even halfway into the season.

Personally I put great QB's into 2 categories.

1. Those who are AWESOME QB's that just dont do well in the late playoffs.

2. QB's who are GOOD, but NOT great, but simply thrive in the playoffs. They do awesome and thus win SB's.

Personally I would rather take the #2 QB, because thats the best chance of winning a SB. Yet still, thats not to say that the #2 QB is any better than the #1 QB. I dont think winning a SB should determine how good the PLAYER is. It should determine how good the TEAM is. PERSONALLY (and you dont have to agree), I think Peyton would have won the same 3 SB's Brady did if he was on the Patriots those years. If you look at Brady's passing output in the post season they are GOOD but not GREAT. Manning could have done that. Brady's defense and the 50 yard chuck rule that one year really hurt the Colts because they got INT'd 4 times ... they couldnt do that this year because they re-inforced the 5 yard chuck rule.

One last stat. Indi-Patriots overall record since the chuck rule was put back into affect?  Indi 1 ... Patriots 0

824606[/snapback]

Your argument is hogwash. Does Peyton make his supporting cast better?  Certainly.

It's one thing to make first round talents better.  That's what Manning did.

Edge (1st round #4 overall)

Harrison (1st round #17 overall)

Wayne (1st round #29 overall)

Dallas Clark (1st round #23 overall)

The Colts spend PREMIUM picks on offensive skill positions, making it MUCH EASIER for Peyton Manning to play at a high level.  Not to mention, Manning has played with mostly the same cast year afer year, making it easier to build a rapport.

The Pats send their receivers packing year after year and despite significant personnel changes around him, Brady continues to excel.

The debate should end right there.  Manning will never be the QB that Brady is.  Simmons made some great points on this topic (and was hilarious too btw)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/061103

824609[/snapback]

Do you know why Wayne and Clark were such low 1st round picks? BECAUSE PEYTON HAD THE TEAM PRIOR DOING AWESOME! Without those 1st round picks of Wayne and Clark, Peyton still had the team doing good. Get over your hate for Peyton Manning. Just get over it. I dont hate Tom Brady. He is an amazing QB. But people need to think about stuff before they post. Put Edge on the Cardinals and see how he does. OH WAIT! They put that FIRST ROUND PICK on the Cardinals and he isnt doing well. Because teams arent afraid of the Cardinals passing like they were off Manning.

Besides it seems like you missed that entire last paragraph I wrote. Brady is a great QB who puts up decent numbers but wins consistantly in the playoffs. Manning is QB who puts up incredible numbers (most likely best ALL-TIME) but doesnt win in the playoffs. As I said before, I dont think a PLAYERS worth should be determined by SB's. Its a team game. Indi's defense will most likely hurt them this year. Is that Peytons fault also? Give me a break and get over your hate for Peyton Manning.

Edit: the real debate should come down to this. If Peyton was on the Patriots those years instead of Brady would he have still won those 3 SB's. My OPINION Is yes. Those 3 SB's were mostly defense for the Patriots. In fact one of those SB's Brady only threw for about 120 yards and another one he barely threw for over 200.

Some of the old timers on the board need to answer this question, was the rivalry between Bradshaw and Staubach the greatest Qb rivarly?  I could see Brady vs Manning, but I don't know. I wasn't around back then.

824629[/snapback]

You have to throw Stabler in the mix.