I had to laugh

Mickey

Listening to Bush speak, I am reminded of what one contemporary said of Warren G. Harding's speeches, another uninspiring Republican President:

"an army of pompous phrases moving across the landscape in search of an idea."

The "barren landscape" would be Bush's brain in this metaphor. Rather than "moving" across the landscape, I think in Bush's case, "bumbling" would be a more accurate word.

He is a nice enough guy but even for those of you who love the guy, you have to admit that listening to him is like having your ear drums scrambled with a rusty ice pick. :w00t:

"an army of pompous phrases moving across the landscape in search of an idea."

I disagree. Bush's "regular guy" act precludes too much pomposity. I think, rather, it's an army of empty phrases...

He is a nice enough guy but even for those of you who love the guy, you have to admit that listening to him is like having your ear drums scrambled with a rusty ice pick.  :w00t:

59076[/snapback]

Again, I disagree. A rusty ice pick to the ear drum would cause a sharp, searing, immediate pain. Listening to a Bush speech starts as a sort of dull, throbing general ache that progresses to an overall sense of crushing suffocating. It's kind of an Edgar Allen Poe "Cask of Amontillado" experience...

I disagree.  Bush's "regular guy" act precludes too much pomposity.  I think, rather, it's an army of empty phrases...

Again, I disagree.  A rusty ice pick to the ear drum would cause a sharp, searing, immediate pain.  Listening to a Bush speech starts as a sort of dull, throbing general ache that progresses to an overall sense of crushing suffocating.  It's kind of an Edgar Allen Poe "Cask of Amontillado" experience...

59111[/snapback]

I stand corrected.

Any day that I can quote William Gibbs McAdoo on Warren G. harding is a good day. I am a geek's geek.

Any day that I can quote William Gibbs McAdoo on Warren G. harding is a good day.  I am a geek's geek.

59153[/snapback]

Likewise, when I can make a "Cask of Amantillado" reference...

And props to you for it... :w00t: (For lack of an "applause" smiley, I substitute the "hitting forehead" smiley on the premise that it makes a similar sound to clapping. Hell, it's the way I applaud our candidates...)