For all of you Bunkley lovers

But make no mistake -- if either tackle Runyan or Thomas gets injured, Winston Justice would be activated and starting.  Any talk on this board that he is a bust is nonsense.  On the Bills, Justice would be good enough to be a starter, and a good one at that.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs...375/1002/SPORTS

819880[/snapback]

That's just not what I've been hearing and reading. I guess time will tell. And, to add some more fuel to the fire, the Eagles' third-round pick, G Max Jean-Gilles, has also been inactive. Rumor has it he's overweight and that they were looking to trade him at the deadline...

If you actually look closer into their roster, you'd notice it's a simple numbers game.  Nick Cole is a versatile lineman that serves as a backup center AND tackle, which allows them to essentially have one player cover 3 positions.  Scott Young is a pure guard who can play some center as well

But make no mistake -- if either tackle Runyan or Thomas gets injured, Winston Justice would be activated and starting.  Any talk on this board that he is a bust is nonsense.  On the Bills, Justice would be good enough to be a starter, and a good one at that.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs...375/1002/SPORTS

819880[/snapback]

In that article, Thomas was injured but they STILL didn't activate Justice? Doesn't that seem odd to you? And Cole can play center AND tackle? And he was an undrafted FA this year. Young I agree could play the 3 interior positions, but centers DON'T backup at tackle (much less undrafted rookies), whereas tackles DO backup at OG.

Defensive tackle is a tough position to learn in the NFL. Bunkley is quite a specimen and if you look at his college career, he's not exactly a three year starter. He played behind NFL guys his whole life and is still probably a little raw. As for Justice and Jean Gilles, I think theres a reason they both went alot lower than we all thought, so them not being so great is no real surprise to me, although its still way too early to tell

just because a dt isn't playing in his first season means nada: not a thing. jimmy kennedy sucked early on, and he's turned into a player. wilfork was near useless in his first two season, and now he's a very solid player. heck, even ted washington played poorly early on for SF.

btw, the same goes for mccargo. badol, knowing as much as you know about how DTs often get better over time, you've gotta give him a chance.

my one beef with the mccargo selection is that i thought it might turn out to be a ryan sims sort of thing -- that is, he looks good when lined up next to the best d-lineman to come out since, well, julius peppers, but really isn't that good because other teams don't key on him. also, wimbley was another blue chip guy that went before him. if a defense has two blue chippers, then other guys who are merely pretty good start to look dominant because college offenses don't focus on them. hopefully, this was all factored in when they drafted him. in any event, it's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to pass judgement on mccargo -- or bunkley, for that matter.