TKO vs. Ellison

generaLee83

I'll be the first to put it out here, although the 'D' has looked horrible the last few weeks, I think it looked a bit better when Ellison was playing for TKO and Angelo was at the position that he played last year.

TKO seems out of place now, I've watched him blow zone coverage more than once and he lacks the intensity that he did during week 1 (or his prior seasons). Maybe he's still upset over TV leaving or the "rebuilding" state of this team.

Either way, I think he's gone after this season. I'd love to see him resurface but it ain't gonna happen.

Okay, you guys can kill me now.

Ellison seemed pretty good for a rookie and was doing fairly well. In a year or 2 with more nfl experience and getting his weight up to 240 I think he'll turn out to be a fairly productive starter. Not that he's TKO, but then again TKO doesn't look like TKO. However it's bad enough fletchers contract is up after this season, can we not throw spikes out of here as well :lol:

edit: this is from ellisons prospect profile from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/ellison_keith

He is a versatile linebacker who is good rushing the passer, very smooth dropping into zone coverage, has the play speed and athleticism to cover well in man-to-man coverage and can make plays vs. the run from sideline to sideline. Overall, Ellison has all the physical tools to be a very productive starting linebacker if he becomes more consistent playing aggressively vs. blockers and bulks up to approximately 240 pounds. An added bonus is that while Ellison is a backup during his first season or two while he bulks up and learns to play more consistently, he will be able to make an impact as a cover man on special teams coverage.

I'll be the first to put it out here, although the 'D' has looked horrible the last few weeks, I think it looked a bit better when Ellison was playing for TKO and Angelo was at the position that he played last year.

TKO seems out of place now, I've watched him blow zone coverage more than once and he lacks the intensity that he did during week 1 (or his prior seasons).  Maybe he's still upset over TV leaving or the "rebuilding" state of this team.

Either way, I think he's gone after this season.  I'd love to see him resurface but it ain't gonna happen.

Okay, you guys can kill me now.

818300[/snapback]

A few thoughts on this.....

Firstly TKO only played in...was is 2 plays in the first game? The first play he blitzed(?), the second he pulled a hammy. It's quite possible that he is actually not too conversant with the system just yet. He missed a lot of practice compared to the others & then basically missed some more & the first 5 games....he might just be acclimatizing.

He also might still be nursing his hammy a little....afraid to go all out & re-aggravate it(which is not an uncommon thing to occur).

Finally, his torn achilles put him out for a year. From what I've noticed with other LBs who have had similar injuries, they tend not to get back to full steam until the year after they return. Usually, I've noticed they play at a good level but do not regain the mobility & speed until the following season....which for TKO would be next year.

I might be totally of trak with all of this......just some thoughts to contemplate.

A few thoughts on this.....

Firstly TKO only played in...was is 2 plays in the first game?  The first play he blitzed(?), the second he pulled a hammy.  It's quite possible that he is actually not too conversant with the system just yet.  He missed a lot of practice compared to the others & then basically missed some more & the first 5 games....he might just be acclimatizing.

He also might still be nursing his hammy a little....afraid to go all out & re-aggravate it(which is not an uncommon thing to occur).

Finally, his torn achilles put him out for a year.  From what I've noticed with other LBs who have had similar injuries, they tend not to get back to full steam until the year after they return.  Usually, I've noticed they play at a good level but do not regain the mobility & speed until the following season....which for TKO would be next year.

I might be totally of trak with all of this......just some thoughts to contemplate.

818315[/snapback]

I think your reasons are very legit and I hope they are true. I'd love to see him come back like a maniac, this team needs it.

I don't see why its controversial... TKO has been invisible since returning. Why not put ellison in on a few plays or series and switch crowell. Maybe juggling the positions will light a fire, or maybe just maybe confuse the opposing offense a little. At this point, it couldn't hurt...

I don't see why its controversial...  TKO has been invisible since returning.  Why not put ellison in on a few plays or series and switch crowell.  Maybe juggling the positions will light a fire, or maybe just maybe confuse the opposing offense a little.  At this point, it couldn't hurt...

818322[/snapback]

A general question here......

Has the version of the Tampa2 been watered down so far this season so the players can get used to it(esp rooks)? I wouldn't have a clue myself.

Does anyone know?

If so, I'd personally expect to see a slightly more complex version after the break.

Has the version of the Tampa2 been watered down so far this season so the players can get used to it(esp rooks)?  I wouldn't have a clue myself.

Does anyone know?

If so, I'd personally expect to see a slightly more complex version after the break.

818325[/snapback]

I think the problem with the Tampa 2 is that McGee has been hurt and regressed, leaving Simpson out there looking goofy sometimes. Clements has done his job well in the D and so has Whitner.

Fletcher is undersized as always and can be a liability in coverage. Spikes is dragging and our D Line, while good at getting pressure on a semi-regular basis....is leaving the run game open. As soon as we call off the dogs because of big runs against us, a good QB is able to hit his spots against the zone. NE's last TD on Sunday was technically into Quintuple coverage.

When you have smart and gifted athletes, this defense is the best there is....the bend but don't break, yet still have a shot at big plays...all rolled into one. Once other teams find your weakness, which to the Bills happened fairly soon, we have to reel it in a little.

To answer your question, I don't know :lol:

I think the problem with the Tampa 2 is that McGee has been hurt and regressed, leaving Simpson out there looking goofy sometimes. Clements has done his job well in the D and so has Whitner.

Fletcher is undersized as always and can be a liability in coverage. Spikes is dragging and our D Line, while good at getting pressure on a semi-regular basis....is leaving the run game open. As soon as we call off the dogs because of big runs against us, a good QB is able to hit his spots against the zone. NE's last TD on Sunday was technically into Quintuple coverage.

When you have smart and gifted athletes, this defense is the best there is....the bend but don't break, yet still have a shot at big plays...all rolled into one. Once other teams find your weakness, which to the Bills happened fairly soon, we have to reel it in a little.

To answer your question, I don't know :lol:

818329[/snapback]

You might not know, but at least I know a little more now....thanks. :o

Has the version of the Tampa2 been watered down so far this season so the players can get used to it(esp rooks)?  I wouldn't have a clue myself.

Does anyone know?

818325[/snapback]

Personally I want to know why we drafted a safety as a Top 10 pick when we were planning on running a two deep defense.

I heard all of this talk of Whitner being versatile enough to play up at the line, blitz, or even cover WRs man-to-man. I haven't seen anything out of him, or how we use him, to suggest that we couldn't have the same production from a 3rd round draft pick.

Personally I want to know why we drafted a safety as a Top 10 pick when we were planning on running a two deep defense.

I heard all of this talk of Whitner being versatile enough to play up at the line, blitz, or even cover WRs man-to-man. I haven't seen anything out of him, or how we use him, to suggest that we couldn't have the same production from a 3rd round draft pick.

818348[/snapback]

I'm no expert but I'm certain the cover2(tampa2) excels with an exceptional athlete at SS. You sound like you are just about to give up hope that he can achieve what will be expected.....he has only played 7 games & is one of the better rookies around....he got the NFL rookie of the month last month....what is it you expect from him at this point? Probowl level play after 1/2 a season? :lol:

Well since it's a rebuilding year, you give TKO the rest of the year to prove he's back.  Ellison gets a year to bulk/strengthen up and get more experience.  Then you see what you've got next year.

818332[/snapback]

I think this is problably the best strategy though I'd like to see Ellison get a few series a game.

I like Ellison but I'd rather him NOT bulk up to 240. It would hurt his game. I know, we'd all like 240-270 freaks of nature LB's who can run like a deer but those guys are rare. Not everybody can carry that kind of weight without losing speed or agility. I think he'll be fine in the low 230's.

I like Ellison but I'd rather him NOT bulk up to 240. It would hurt his game. I know, we'd all like 240-270 freaks of nature LB's who can run like a deer but those guys are rare. Not everybody can carry that kind of weight without losing speed or agility. I think he'll be fine in the low 230's.

I'm not looking for him to over-bulk himself, just that in the course of adding muscle, he'll bulk up a little.

818300[/snapback]

I posted the same thing last week....I think it is not Ellison Vs TKO....When Ellison was in, Crowell moved back to his original side. With TKO back in the lineup they have flip-flopped...