Blow up the salary cap...

30dive

A few years ago, I wondered outloud here at the stadium wall, in defense of the "new" mgmnt's house cleaning. "Could the Bills afford to blow the salary cap out of the water and backload huge signing bonuses for "great" players in order to win now?" The obvious result would be that eventually the salary cap invoice would come due and we (the fans) would have to endure 4 or 5 years of losing seasons to pay those invoices for earlier success. I really felt that teams in large market cities could absorb that kind of approach but small market cities like Buffalo could not.

Boy was I wrong!!!

Consider this if the Bills today just spend a ton of money and bring in "winners" (not big names) but winners, and as I say now "blow up the salary cap" what would the price be?

As I see it now......A contender, and possible Champion for a couple years!

Of course payback would be the B word, but how painful would the payback be? As I see it no more painful than the pain we have had to endure for the past what 7 seasons?!!?

Seriously, the fans in Buffalo have proven that the team will be supported win or lose. Does any other city fill their stadium for a losing product like the fans from Buffalo, in any sport? NO!

So blow the cap up, max out the "NFL cedit card", build a winner and in a few uears we will brace ourselves for the payback and endure what 5 or 6 yeas of losing....What like we haven't done that before?!

I agree!

We need to blow our financial load on a bunch of not-big-name winners who can take us to the promised land, even if it is for just a year or two.

Okay. Let's get started. Who are these not-big-name winners and where can we find them? We'll need about forty of them, so let's make a list of 70 and whittle it down.

Let me know when you have your roster in place.

Thanks.

The implied on my part is that I am not looking for only big name players like, lets say TO, but solid players, big name or not and attrack them, yes, with MONEY!

815247[/snapback]

He just asked you who are the players you would choose. Well, who are these guys we could blow the cap to make us winners for a couple years?

In your method, you can circumvent the cap and backload some of the contracts but with hugh signing bonuses to get players....But Ralph does not make the same amount of money as a Dan Snyder to put up that upfront money to pay for those

signing bonuses.

Last year the Bills net profit was some where in the 10M ball park, whereas for

the Redskins it was somewhere in the 80-90M ball park. Snyder has 70M more

to spend on his team than the bills.

It is just not viable for the bills or teams like the Steelers, Jaguars to do it....That is why the NFL draft is so important for the smaller market teams more so than for the bigger market teams.

The implied on my part is that I am not looking for only big name players like, lets say TO, but solid players, big name or not and attrack them, yes, with MONEY!

815247[/snapback]

What has done to the Washington Redskins for signing the following players to

big contracts in the last few years.

1. Randall El

2. Brandon Lloyd

3. Andre Carter

4. Adam Archuleta

5. Mark Brunell

The same 2-5 record and a bye in week 8.

I understood the question, dripping with sarcasm, but I think the NFL has many players to offer every year that can be signed to make us a better team, we have avoided those players to maintain finacial stability, which I have aplauded, but at some point, and I think very soon the seats will become empty and it won't matter how well the cap has been managed, because there wont be any money coming through the front gate. Regarding players.....Honestly I do not keep those list on hand, my comments are based on my feelings that the city of Buffalo has proven that it will support a losing product over the course of a half dozen plus years, but IMHO time is running short, and a winner is needed now. We have lived through multiple years of losing and we are willing to live through it again, but a couple winning/chamionship seasons laced in between those losing years makes it a whole bunch easier.

So, let's see how champions were made, in terms of big-name free agent signings:

Pittsburgh: Roethlisberger, no, Parker, no, Bettis, traded for a million years ago, Ward, no, Randle-El, no...Cedrick Wilson? I think he used to be a Niner. On defense, Polamalu, no, Porter, no, Kimo Van O, no, hmmm.

New England: Brady, no, Dillon, no, Branch, no, Light, no, Bruschi, no, Vraebel, no, Samuel, no, Wilson, no, Harrison - okay, there's one. Also, I guess Antowain Smith was a big-time free agent. Ish. Roosevelt Colvin, maybe?

Tampa Bay: Brad Johnson WAS a free agent, I'll give you that. So was Michael Pittman, I think.

I understood the question, dripping with sarcasm, but I think the NFL has many players to offer every year that can be signed to make us a better team, we have avoided those players to maintain finacial stability, which I have aplauded, but at some point, and I think very soon the seats will become empty and it won't matter how well the cap has been managed, because there wont be any money coming through the front gate.  Regarding players.....Honestly I do not keep those list on hand, my comments are  based on my feelings that the city of Buffalo has proven that it will support a losing product over the course of a half dozen plus years, but IMHO time is running short, and a winner is needed now.  We have lived through multiple years of losing and we are willing to live through it again, but a couple winning/chamionship seasons laced in between those losing years makes it a whole bunch easier.

815272[/snapback]

But you say this like opening the wallet and getting the obvious players on payroll is the easy answer and can be addressed, but if it were really that easy, then why do the Redskins suck like us? Why is Jerry Jones changing quarterbacks in the middle of a battle for first place in the division when he's only down by four at the half? Why is TO dropping a critical, but easy fourth-and-two pass with wide open field in front of him? You think the wallet can fix that?

Anyone can spend money. Spending it wisely is the hard part, and it's just not that simple of a solution.

So as I am reading it from the above....We have to be patient and wait for that winner? Or is that we just have to accept that we can't afford a winner? That Ralph Wilson can't play with the likes of.........fill in the bank?

Look I'll continue to buy the DTV Ticket and drive up for two games a year, but if the feelings about the Bills financial capabilities are correctly represented by my friends posting above, I fear that my trips to the Nickle city are short lived

Anyone can spend money. Spending it wisely is the hard part, and it's just not that simple of a solution.

815284[/snapback]

WHERE IN ANYTHING I have written have I said that spending that money "wisley" was not part of the solution? I think the idea put forth about "winners" as opposed to just big names was my way of saying be SMART but the wallet needs to be opened a bit more too!

WHERE IN ANYTHING I have written have I said that spending that money "wisley" was not part of the solution?  I think the idea put forth about "winners" as opposed to just big names was my way of saying be SMART but the wallet needs to be opened a bit more too!

815294[/snapback]

I wasn't questioning whether you intend to spend the money wisely. I was simply saying it's not easy to do. At least not as easy as you're making the solution sound.

Don't the Redskins try that every year?  ;)

815289[/snapback]

No, they bring in big names.......

And how do you propose that we

"Build the O-line and the D-line?

I'm thinking spend some money on those guys!

This is fun....I need to stay home more often!

So your point is that we should bring in better players than we have now?

815299[/snapback]

I think that is time that we are willing to spend more money on players, specifically non-skill players, than we have in the past number of years. The club needs to be willing to repair today and be willing to pay for it tomarow.

I understood the question, dripping with sarcasm, but I think the NFL has many players to offer every year that can be signed to make us a better team, we have avoided those players to maintain finacial stability, which I have aplauded, but at some point, and I think very soon the seats will become empty and it won't matter how well the cap has been managed, because there wont be any money coming through the front gate.  Regarding players.....Honestly I do not keep those list on hand, my comments are  based on my feelings that the city of Buffalo has proven that it will support a losing product over the course of a half dozen plus years, but IMHO time is running short, and a winner is needed now.  We have lived through multiple years of losing and we are willing to live through it again, but a couple winning/chamionship seasons laced in between those losing years makes it a whole bunch easier.

815272[/snapback]

Translation - I have no clue, I just figure the easy excuse as to why the Bills suck and every team is better is because Ralph is cheap, like some say he is on this board, and not allowing us to be successful so he can turn a huge profit and make Bills fans suffer by supporting mediocre teams.

I think thats pretty close, may not be the direct translation, but its pretty much it.

Translation - I have no clue, I just figure the easy excuse as to why the Bills suck and every team is better is because Ralph is cheap, like some say he is on this board, and not allowing us to be successful so he can turn a huge profit and make Bills fans suffer by supporting mediocre teams.

I think thats pretty close, may not be the direct translation, but its pretty much it.

815357[/snapback]

I think the easiest solution is that this team needs to build both the OL and DL and have a coaching staff that can build this into a SOLID unit, that can run the ball and protect the passer....Make 3rd and shorts and 4th and 1s consistently......On the Defense, play good run defense and get off the field on 3rd and long consistently......If you do both, we can build a winning program.....Unfortunately, there has been no comittement to both the lines at the same period of time by any regime in buffalo in the last 12 years.