Belichick rips 90's Bills and Polian

Willis990

Yep!

In Chicago... They love the '86 SB, they always talk about how the team was "dismantled" the following year...

There is always something...

I love those four years, it would be hard to give up three for only one!

Tar and feather me also you guys out there! :blink:

811874[/snapback]

I actually feel I am in a somewhat unique position as a fan to judge the relative value of comparing the feeling as a fan of having your Bears team win SB XX and then having your Bills team get there but lose 4 straight as actually I think I was a full tilt fan of both teams.

I was born in Chicago and rooting for the Bears was one of the things we did big time. The first NFL game I attended as a youth was the Bears game where Sayers suffered his devastating knee injury and I cried when I got home and found out how bad it was, I rooted for the Bears hard through the the thick and thin of life with Sayers and Butkus to seeing Booby Douglas accomplish the ignominious achievement of almost rushing for 1000 yards in a 14 game season as a QB.

In 85 one of my housemate's Mom was quite confused by me llaving a phone message to the tune and rap patter of the Suoer Bowl Shufflw asking for messages.

A buddy and I watched SB XX and despite the blow-out did not declare the game a victory for our side until the final tick for fear we might jinx it and NE would somehow put up 5 TDs in the last 15 seconds and give have us grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Having my team dominate the opponents and win it all that one year is one of my hreatest times as a sportsfan.

Yet, 1989, I gpt married to a lifelong Buffaloanian and moved to the City of Good Neighbors for what has been the last 16+ years. My rooting and fan allegiance changed to a great extent. Anyplace that Buffalo has a professional team (the Bills instead of the Bears -in no small part helped by the Owners dismantling the Bears team which made me a part of an SB winner- and the Sabres over the Blackhawks). became my team. I still am a Die-Hard Cubs fan (and carry a card declaring me a member since 1959 in my wallet) and remain a Bulls fan (quite convenient actually during the Bulls glory days with MJ).

I became a full-fledged rooter for the Bills which was shown to me by the pain I felt when Ronnie Harmon dropped a pass he should have caught and which was cemented for me when over 10K WNY gathered in Niagara Square to welcome their fallen heroes back after losing SB XXV and as a group forgave him when he was brought to tears apologizing for missing Wide right.

I think it varies from person to person whether they would trade 4 consecutive losses for 1 win, but for me there is no question having experience the Bears win as a total rooter for them and having experienced the Bills 4 losses as a total rooterfor this team that I think the Bills experience is the far better one.

Belichick devotes his life to winning and he gets paid to work on this all the time so I can easily see how winning is what it is all about for him. However, as a fan while winning or losing influences a lot how I feel when I watch my team, I am a fan of thje team and not simply a fan of winning, It matters a lot to me whether my team wins or loses, but I am not gonna stop being a Bills fan the weeks they lose and be a total Bills fan the weeks they win.

How silly. How fair weather.

I in fact would take the Soper Bowl XXV loss with us losing together as we all held hands at a friends house as we watched the kick and we forgave Scotty the next day over being a Bears fan sharing the SB XX win. Losing together in a real way was so much more meaningful than winning together that I found that Bills year to exceed for me the exoperience of being a fan to the exultation of winning it all with the Bears. The additional 3 years even with blowouts was simply icing on the cake to make the Bills fan experience really singular.

Fortunately, i do not have to choose between the two expereiences and they both are great realities for me, but if the choice is between which great thing is a better great thing, there is no question for me that being a Bills fan for 4 losing SBs is a better great thing than being a Bears fan for one winning SB.

I'd rather be great for half a decade than be a flash in the pan like most other teams.

811868[/snapback]

I completely agree - and I think Polian's current team has been delivering for Colt fans for the last few years.

Of course I want the Bills to win a SB but what I really want is to watch football in late November and December that actually matters. My football season seems to last about 9 weeks before it's apparent that the Bills just aren't there yet and I start watching "meaningless" games and figuring out when the draft is.

Even a couple of years ago, before the Pittsburgh game, the season wasn't great - I gave up early and then didn't think we had a chance until the last couple of weeks when I started to get excited again.

Comeback seasons, like comeback games, are great stories but they're rarely entertaining - usually it's two lopsided games combined. Give me the see-saw battle, back and forth switching leads all day, over a comeback game.

Now it's October 22nd and I know in my heart the season is on the line today. If we win, I'll hate waiting 2 weeks until the next game. If we lose, I won't care about the bye week and I'll go find out when the 2007 draft happens :o

All I want for Christmas this year, is meaningful Bills games against the Titans and Ravens. It needs to start today. Just start winning.

I actually feel I am in a somewhat unique position as a fan to judge the relative value of comparing the feeling as a fan of having your Bears team win SB XX and then having your Bills team get there but lose 4 straight as actually I think I was a full tilt fan of both teams.

I was born in Chicago and rooting for the Bears was one of the things we did big time.  The first NFL game I attended as a youth was the Bears game where Sayers suffered his devastating knee injury and I cried when I got home and found out how bad it was,  I rooted for the Bears hard through the the thick and thin of life with Sayers and Butkus to seeing Booby Douglas accomplish the ignominious achievement of almost rushing for 1000 yards in a 14 game season as a QB.

In 85 one of my housemate's Mom was quite confused by me llaving a phone message to the tune and rap patter of the Suoer Bowl Shufflw asking for messages.

A buddy and I watched SB XX and despite the blow-out did not declare the game a victory for our side until the final tick for fear we might jinx it and NE would somehow put up 5 TDs in the last 15 seconds and give have us grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Having my team dominate the opponents and win it all that one year is one of my hreatest times as a sportsfan.

Yet, 1989, I gpt married to a lifelong Buffaloanian and moved to the City of Good Neighbors for what has been the last 16+ years.  My rooting and fan allegiance changed to a great extent.  Anyplace that Buffalo has a professional team (the Bills instead of the Bears -in no small part helped by the Owners dismantling the Bears team which made me a part of an SB winner- and the Sabres over the Blackhawks). became my team. I still am a Die-Hard Cubs fan (and carry a card declaring me a member since 1959 in my wallet) and remain a Bulls fan (quite convenient actually during the Bulls glory days with MJ).

I became a full-fledged rooter for the Bills which was shown to me by the pain I felt when Ronnie Harmon dropped a pass he should have caught and which was cemented for me when over 10K WNY gathered in Niagara Square to welcome their fallen heroes back after losing SB XXV and as a group forgave him when he was brought to tears apologizing for missing Wide right.

I think it varies from person to person whether they would trade 4 consecutive losses for 1 win, but for me there is no question having experience the Bears win as a total rooter for them and having experienced the Bills 4 losses as a total rooterfor this team that I think the Bills experience is the far better one.

Belichick devotes his life to winning and he gets paid to work on this all the time so I can easily see how winning is what it is all about for him.  However, as a fan while winning or losing influences a lot how I feel when I watch my team, I am a fan of thje team and not simply a fan of winning,  It matters a lot to me whether my team wins or loses, but I am not gonna stop being a Bills fan the weeks they lose and be a total Bills fan the weeks they win.

How silly.  How fair weather.

I in fact would take the Soper Bowl XXV loss with us losing together as we all held hands at a friends house as we watched the kick and we forgave Scotty the next day  over being a Bears fan sharing the SB XX win.  Losing together in a real way was so much more meaningful than winning together that I found that Bills year to exceed for me the exoperience of being  a fan to the exultation of winning it all with the Bears.  The additional 3 years even with blowouts was simply icing on the cake to make the Bills fan experience really singular.

Fortunately, i do not have to choose between the two expereiences and they both are great realities for me, but if the choice is between which great thing is a better great thing, there is no question for me that being a Bills fan for 4 losing SBs is a better great thing than being a Bears fan for one winning SB.

811937[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more... You ARE truly in a unique position. For me (I believe) it is a little harder... First, both my wife and I are from WNY and have zero personal connection here for the last 14 years... Second, it seems more "backwards" than what you have delt with.

I never warmed up to the Bears and Bulls... Maybe because of the winning.

Now the Cubs, then the Sox and even the 'Hawks because of the connection to losing, are a totally different story.

Without a deep personal connection to NE Illinois the galvanizing factor becomes just the faceless losing.

On another note(s):

Not sure what it is, maybe my pettiness, but if I lived in NE/MA... I wouldn't have an ounce of sympathy for the BoSox or their fans...

Also... When I lived in the Quad Cities (short spell)... The first words out of my new supervisor's mouth (from Des Moines) was: "You got Ronnie Harmon on your football team... Don't worry, he dropped one just like that for us (Iowa) in the Rose Bowl." He was an ardent Cubs fan also... I thought, in that situation... I could have sympathized and bonded with his pain...

:o:o