McGahee vs. Thomas

CFLstyle

Looks like you're right. NFL.com and a couple other sites shows WM with having 16 GP and 15 GS; I assume if he is active for the game that he gets credited for a game played. I don't remember that game all that well, so it is possible he came in to spell Henry and just pass blocked or went out into a pattern or something, or he might have stayed on the sideline the whole game.

With that info, it means that through their first two years, both guys played (as far as I can tell) the same number of games (31.) WM has the edge in yards rushing, while TT gets the nod in total yards from scrimmage. But for WM to be less than 300 yards short of TT's start is a pretty good start to his career.

Looks like you're right.  NFL.com and a couple other sites shows WM with  having 16 GP and 15 GS; I assume if he is active for the game that he gets credited for a game played. I don't remember that game all that well, so it is possible he came in to spell Henry and just pass blocked or went out into a pattern or something, or he might have stayed on the sideline the whole game. 

With that info, it means that through their first two years, both guys played (as far as I can tell) the same number of games (31.) WM has the edge in yards rushing, while TT gets the nod in total yards from scrimmage. But for WM to be less than 300 yards short of TT's start is a pretty good start to his career.

810795[/snapback]

Agreed.

Willis has been around for 4 years...3 of them starting almost every game. At the end of the day, he's got a 3.9 yd. per carry avg. Never reached the 1300 yd. mark, never had a run of more than 41 or a td run over 20, and never snatched more than 28 passes in a season. He's neither a skilled or willing blocker, nor does he pose much of a threat to beat you.

Corey Dillon didn't have squat in Cincy and put up great numbers. Ladanian didn't, and still doesn't have much around him on O... anyone care to name LT's Olinemen over the past several years? Who are his wrs? Aside from Drew Brees and the Antonio G. connection of the past couple of years and a stout defense, he's had nothing... yet he manages to put up very good numbers.

So, when do we stop making excuses for why Willis doesn't have 2,000 yards rushing, a 5.0 yd. per carry avg. and catching 60-70 balls.... yada yada yada? What... do we need to construct a team of all pros to surround him just so he can function like a top back should? If Willis was going to be a top 5 or 7 back in this league, it would have happened by now. I'll concede that he's at least average for an NFL starter. He is what he is... and opponents don't have to work very hard to figure out how to stop him.

It's easy and shouldn't need a huge discussion.

He sucks.

He gets burned ALL OF THE TIME.

He will cost way to watch for MAYBE a top 20 CB.

810207[/snapback]

Willis has been around for 4 years...3 of them starting almost every game.  At the end of the day, he's got a 3.9 yd. per carry avg.  Never reached the 1300 yd. mark, never had a run of more than 41 or a td run over 20, and never snatched more than 28 passes in a season.  He's neither a skilled or willing blocker, nor does he pose much of a threat to beat you.

Corey Dillon didn't have squat in Cincy and put up great numbers. Ladanian didn't, and still doesn't have much around him on O... anyone care to name LT's Olinemen over the past several years?  Who are his wrs?  Aside from Drew Brees and the Antonio G. connection of the past couple of years and a stout defense, he's had nothing... yet he manages to put up very good numbers.

So, when do we stop making excuses for why Willis doesn't have 2,000 yards rushing, a 5.0 yd. per  carry avg. and catching 60-70 balls.... yada yada yada?  What... do we need to construct a team of all pros to surround him just so he can function like a top back should?  If Willis was going to be a top 5 or 7 back in this league, it would have happened by now.  I'll concede that he's at least average for an NFL starter.  He is what he is... and opponents don't have to work very hard to figure out how to stop him.

811419[/snapback]

I think your forgetting that Thurman DID have a team of all-pros around him.

By the way ... are you talking about the same LT who has less YPG and less YPC and has 20+ receptions but NONE for more than 20 yards, so what does it matter? Willis has 1 receptions for more than 20 yards BTW.

By the way ... are you talking about the same LT who has less YPG and less YPC and has 20+ receptions but NONE for more than 20 yards, so what does it matter? Willis has 1 receptions for more than 20 yards BTW.

Dude... are you serious? Are you saying what LT has accomplished over the past few seasons doesn't matter because of the past 5 games he's played this season? Playing with a re-tooled o line and new QB? Is his TE Gates having a typical Gates season?

Dude... you are prima facia evidence of a fan that has swallowed too much bad koolaid. You couldn't think objectively if your little sister's life depended on it. Shame.

I've noticed lately that people are starting to compare Willis to Thomas, I saw them mention it during the Lions game and then I see a few people on here saying "Not even close, Willis is terrible, we havn't had a great running back since Thomas."

These two can not be compared at all, there's a huge difference and not in the style of their play, but in the offense around them.

At Thomas' time the Bills had a hall of fame quarterback, outstanding receivers, top notch offensive line, and an incredible defense to go along with it. Thomas had one hell of a team around him. A lot of people bash Willis McGahee and they say he will never be as good as Thomas was, look at the team around him. He has a second year starter at quarterback and although he seems to be improving he's still inconsistant. The offensive line sucks and there's no doubt about it, these guys can not block, they havn't been opening holes all season.

I'm not saying that McGahee is as good as Thomas was, nor am I saying that Thomas was a lot better than McGahee is. It's an interesting comparison nonetheless, and it's one that there's really no answer to.

Just something to think about though, if Thomas was the running back in the offense the Bills have today, and McGahee was the running back in the early '90s, would the tables be turned?

810492[/snapback]

I think their styles are distinctly different and I also think that in order to maximize Magehee he needs to have some run bulls in front of him.......

Look I wasn't trying to compare quotes but more so body language and emotion, James Lofton said he played football with Marcus Allen and another good rb who I can't remember right now, and then Thurman and said Thurman was the most competitive running back he ever played with.  I don't see what Willis has ever done for you to be on his jock, I mean he definately is not garbage.  He is talented and I'm sure he plays hard to a degree, but I hate seeing people compare him to Thurman Thomas who will be going into the Hall of Fame this year.  Has Willis shown even the slightest signs of performing at a HOF level yet?

810721[/snapback]

Look through the thread and show me the post where somebody said McGahee is in the same league as Thurman. You're likely referring to Dax, who merely said McGahee's lack of heart and passion is a misconception. You're fighting a straw man that you built all on your own.

Dude... are you serious?  Are you saying what LT has accomplished over the past few seasons doesn't matter because of the past 5 games he's played this season?  Playing with a re-tooled o line and new QB?  Is his TE Gates having a typical Gates season?

Dude... you are prima facia evidence of a fan that has swallowed too much bad koolaid.  You couldn't think objectively if your little sister's life depended on it.  Shame.

812079[/snapback]

AHAHAHAHAHA

Re-tooled 0-line? McGahee would LOVE to have that 0-line because his 0-line is 10x worse.

LT has been playing with a GREAT 0-line for nearly his every year with San Diego. Thats the point. As soon as they get shaky, see what happens.

TE Gates? uhm well McGahee doesnt have a TE

So for the first year their actually equal.

BTW, Tomlinson just fumbled.