50 members have voted

1. 1. Were you online in 1993?

• Yes
    • No, but I was using the local BBS
    • No
    • I wasn't even in kindergarten yet!

The video about the Internet from 1993 made me wonder how many of you guys

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=53600

Personally, I've been online since ~'89. I had a friend of a friend who went to the University of Buffalo and had a VAX/VMS account he knew nothing about. I talked him into giving me access.

Back then, you could telnet to all sorts of cool sites, including military ones. I remember connecting to one that said something like, "This is owned by the United States Army. Any unlawful attempts will result in severe prison time" (or something like that). I disconnected quickly and was worried that "they'd find me." :lol: (I was just telneting to random IP addresses - I don't recall the exact message, but it was definately something with the military)

Fun stuff!

CW

The video about the Internet from 1993 made me wonder how many of you guys

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=53600

Personally, I've been online since ~'89.  I had a friend of a friend who went to the University of Buffalo and had a VAX/VMS account he knew nothing about.  I talked him into giving me access.

Back then, you could telnet to all sorts of cool sites, including military ones.  I remember connecting to one that said something like, "This is owned by the United States Army.  Any unlawful attempts will result in severe prison time" (or something like that).  I disconnected quickly and was worried that "they'd find me."  :lol:  (I was just telneting to random IP addresses - I don't recall the exact message, but it was definately something with the military)

Fun stuff!

CW

806721[/snapback]

You trin' to crash the WOPR?

I'll guess no, but I probably was by '94.

I can remember talking to my ISPs tech support & him wanting me to use something called a 'browser' & me refusing cuz I didn't want to subject myself potential viruses.

(IIRC, I used a terminal emulation program like ProComm from DOS.)

I was on in 1993 reading about concerts etc.

A guy down the hall was pretty good with the tech stuff and would find dirty pictures on the bbs, he would have to download them and it took literally 20-30 minutes for a single color photo, and then 20 guys would come into the room to look at it when it finally downloaded.

in 1997 I started buying lots of domain names, and I am still kicking myself today that I only bought 50 back then and not 5,000...

1989, after buying my Mac Plus and splurging on 1,200 baud modem.

I joined Compuserve, but it was expensive as hell. My monthly bill could run $70-$100 based on the time I spent pulling down Bills articles from the AP every Sunday.

That same year I joined AOL, and some other Internet service I can't recall at the moment (It was run by Sears, of all things)...

But by 1991, I was going broke and sold my computer to my brother. I managed to get along fine without the Net until about 96 when we got access at work.

man i was too poor as a kid to even have a computer until after 2000. I would  have loved to experience the computerized world a little more back when the net and processors were so slow.

810443[/snapback]

"when the processors were so slow" :lol::P

Back in the day, nobody thought about processors. :lol: I connected my Commodore 64 up to the net back in the day. 300 baud modem and a fancy terminal program to give me 80 characters across instead of the standard 40. Life was good. :lol:

CW

"when the processors were so slow"  :lol:  :P

Back in the day, nobody thought about processors. :lol:  I connected my Commodore 64 up to the net back in the day.  300 baud modem and a fancy terminal program to give me 80 characters across instead of the standard 40.  Life was good. :lol:

CW

810462[/snapback]

I didn't realize you could connect a C64 to the net, I used to play games on my uncles C64 when i was a little kid and figured that that was all it was good for.

I didn't realize you could connect a C64 to the net, I used to play games on my uncles C64 when i was a little kid and figured that that was all it was good for.

810474[/snapback]

Yeah, you could get a modem and plug it into the back left of the machine, then plug the phone line in there. I don't remember the name of the software I used to dial though...

I was pretty big into the local BBS scene and me and a friend even tried making our own. It was pretty cool designing it. My nick was Nighthawk back then, and I ran "Nighthawk's Nest" (they all had corny names back then :lol: ). Never really went anywhere though - my parents wouldn't let me tie up the phone all the time :P

You used to be able to download all sorts of cool games (illegally...) off the BBS back then. In order to get the "good stuff," you had to be known because nobody wanted to get shutdown/arrested/sued/etc for distributing copyrighted programs. Sound familiar? :lol:

CW

Yeah, you could get a modem and plug it into the back left of the machine, then plug the phone line in there.  I don't remember the name of the software I used to dial though...

I was pretty big into the local BBS scene and me and a friend even tried making our own.  It was pretty cool designing it.  My nick was Nighthawk back then, and I ran "Nighthawk's Nest" (they all had corny names back then :lol: ).  Never really went anywhere though - my parents wouldn't let me tie up the phone all the time :lol:

You used to be able to download all sorts of cool games (illegally...) off the BBS back then.  In order to get the "good stuff," you had to be known because nobody wanted to get shutdown/arrested/sued/etc for distributing copyrighted programs.  Sound familiar? :lol:

CW

810531[/snapback]

Lol yeah i get a lot of those games athttp://www.download-full-games.com/, which a great offering of pc, nintendo and c64 games on dos format for free.

I was on in 1993 reading about concerts etc.

A guy down the hall  was pretty good with the tech stuff and would find dirty pictures on the bbs, he would have to download them and it took literally 20-30 minutes for a single color photo, and then 20 guys would come into the room to look at it when it finally downloaded.

in 1997 I started buying lots of domain names, and I am still kicking myself today that I  only bought 50 back then and not 5,000...

806749[/snapback]

Smart thinking. I'm still kicking myself in 1993 we had a satelite auction system for Lexus Automobiles, my partner says should we adapt this to the internet. I say nah, it's such a small market ! Doh ! :lol: