Swap the QBs

As for seeing the field and not locking-onto one WR, JP's been spreading the ball around all season long.  Yesterday he had so many drops from the WR's not named Evans, he stopped looking for everyone else.

799912[/snapback]

Well, if he did indeed stop looking at other open receivers because of previous drops, he will get a good talking to by the coaches.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a difference, in this mythical team swap.

JP completes 9 to Evans (and tossed a number of more his way), 1 to Price, and 4 to the rb McGahee.  His 1st int was a ball headed to Evans...the little bear cubs up in the booth had figured out what was going on.  IIRC, he spread them around against MIN.

Grossman hit 8 different receivers.

799907[/snapback]

Valid point, although being hit in the mouth by Tommie Harris just might have affected that first INT.

I'll put up the drive-by-drive pass stats for discussion/interpretation.

Attempt #1: 1st-10; McGahee, 3yds. (QB hit: TJohnson)

2: 3rd-5, Evans, 19. First down.

3: 1st-5, Evans, 4.

4: 2nd-1, Evans, incomplete.

(Bears FG - 3-0)

5: 1st-10, Evans, 7.

6: 3rd-2, Reed, incomplete.

(Bears FG, 6-0)

7: 2nd-9, Price, incomplete. (Dropped.)

(Bears TD, 13-0)

8: 1st-10, Price, incomplete.

9: 2nd-10, Price, incomplete.

10: 3rd-10, Evans, 15. First down.

11: 2nd-9, Evans, incomplete.

12: 3rd-9, Evans, INT by Briggs. (QB hit: THarris)

(Bears TD, 20-0)

13: 3rd-15, McGahee, -1.

(Bears TD, 27-0)

14: 2nd-5, Evans, 12. First down.

15: 3rd-6, Parrish, INT by Manning.

(Bears punt. Finally. Yay!)

SECOND HALF:

16: 1st-10, McGahee, 12. First down.

17: 1st-10, Evans, 17. First down.

18: 1st-10, McGahee, INT by Brown. (Nothing uglier than an INT on a screen.)

(Bears FG, 30-0)

19: 2nd-9, McGahee, 1.

20: 3rd-8, Evans, incomplete.

(Bears punt)

21: 1st-10, Price, incomplete.

22: 3rd-8, Evans, incomplete. (QB hit: TJohnson)

(Bears FG, 33-0)

(McGee FL - Bears TD, 40-0)

23: 1st-10, Evans, 6.

24: 2nd-4, Price, incomplete.

(Griese FL)

25: 1st-10, Price, 6.

26: 1st-10, Evans, 9.

27: 2nd-3, Reed, incomplete. (Roughing on Urlacher - first down.)

28: 1st-5, Evans, 5, touchdown.

totals: Evans 9 catches in 14 passes (1 INT), Price 1-6, McGahee 4-5 (1 INT), Reed 0-2, Parrish 0-1 (1 INT).

Question: Was JP locking in on Evans, or was Price failing to get open?

Valid point, although being hit in the mouth by Tommie Harris just might have affected that first INT.

800075[/snapback]

Lori, no offense, but every Qb gets hit. Some more than others depending on ability to move, the line, and the ability to read through progression, but every QB gets hit. I am not saying whether the hit affected it or not, but just as Wr's tip balls, those are the breaks, and every QB has their stats lined with these hardluck INT's. The ability of the QB to minimize thse mistakes is the difference in wins and loses, and good vs. poor QB's in a lot of cases.

I dont know about the outcome, but Grossman SHOULD have been intercepted about 3 times today but the media will never mention that.

799133[/snapback]

Ball floating in mid-air after being tipped. Three Bills players surround it. One Bears player comes down with it. One of those three Bills should have MURDERED the receiver and one of the other two should have come down with it easily.

Rex Grossman wasn't luck, the Bills were sloppy and frantic.

Lori, no offense, but every Qb gets hit.  Some more than others depending on ability to move, the line, and the ability to read through progression, but every QB gets hit.  I am not saying whether the hit affected it or not, but just as Wr's tip balls, those are the breaks, and every QB has their stats lined with these hardluck INT's.

800105[/snapback]

None taken. Not trying to make excuses for Losman, although that was by far the least ugliest of his INTs yesterday...

My thought process leading up to that statement: From stuckincincy's post, I got the idea he thought Briggs was in position to make the pick because they'd already seen Losman's tendency to lock in on Evans. I'm not so sure about that; I tend to think Briggs simply made a play on a poorly-thrown ball by a QB under heavy pressure.

Maybe I'll go check the Chicago postgame notes to see if Briggs had anything to say about the play.

None taken. Not trying to make excuses for Losman, although that was by far the least ugliest of his INTs yesterday...

My thought process leading up to that statement: From stuckincincy's post, I got the idea he thought Briggs was in position to make the pick because they'd already seen Losman's tendency to lock in on Evans. I'm not so sure about that; I tend to think Briggs simply made a play on a poorly-thrown ball by a QB under heavy pressure.

Maybe I'll go check the Chicago postgame notes to see if Briggs had anything to say about the play.

800114[/snapback]

Least ugliest? Least ugliest! Lori, I'm in a deep state of shock. I had such high hopes for you. With your knowledge and insight into football, I envisioned you becoming a professional sports writer. Perhaps someday you might even have followed in Vic Carucci's footsteps, and gone national. Then I'd get to say, "I knew Lori back when she wrote for free."

But now those hopes are cruelly dashed by this sudden and unexpected departure from the normal rules of grammar. My faith in you has been shaken to the core, leaving me emotionally scarred. Surely you want to somehow make up for this emotional scarring, perhaps by sending a compliment or two my way. Surely you need to do something to atone for the most ugliest thing I've ever seen you write. :lol:

The first INT was a result of heavy pressure in JP's face. The 2nd one, I don't know. Someone said that Roscoe ran the wrong route. Can tell for sure, so I'll lay that one of JP. The last one though, Willis was getting held and it should have been PI on the intercepting lineman. Either that or Willis was supposed to go out into a pattern but instead blocked.

Least ugliest?  Least ugliest!  Lori, I'm in a deep state of shock.  I had such high hopes for you.  With your knowledge and insight into football, I envisioned you becoming a professional sports writer.  Perhaps someday you might even have followed in Vic Carucci's footsteps, and gone national.  Then I'd get to say, "I knew Lori back when she wrote for free."

But now those hopes are cruelly dashed by this sudden and unexpected departure from the normal rules of grammar.  My faith in you has been shaken to the core, leaving me emotionally scarred.  Surely you want to somehow make up for this emotional scarring, perhaps by sending a compliment or two my way.  Surely you need to do something to atone for the most ugliest thing I've ever seen you write.  :lol:

800166[/snapback]

It took somebody two HOURS to pick up on that consciously-contorted construction? Seriously, I expected better.

(By the by, I also use "ain't" and "y'all" from time to time, just for yucks. Might want to keep your heart meds nearby.) ;)

The first INT was a result of heavy pressure in JP's face.  The 2nd one, I don't know.  Someone said that Roscoe ran the wrong route.  Can tell for sure, so I'll lay that one of JP.  The last one though, Willis was getting held and it should have been PI on the intercepting lineman.  Either that or Willis was supposed to go out into a pattern but instead blocked.

800197[/snapback]

The last one was a screen, and since Willis was behind the line of scrimmage, he was fair game. (Similar situation a couple of years ago: Takeo knocked Rudi Johnson down, then ran back an attempted Kitna screen-pass for a TD in Cincy.)

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

I just watched that play again. Even in frame-by-frame, it's tough to see a defensive hold on Brown, and McGahee was moving away from him by the time the ball was in the air. Looks like JP, under heavy pressure from backup DT Antonio Garay, just blindly threw to where he expected Willis to be. Bad decision on his part.

(But then, said decision is soooo much easier to make from the comfort of my recliner, TV remote in hand...)

Last year Kyle Orton led the Bears to a 9-6 record and could have led them to 10-6 AS A ROOKIE.  So yeah, I CAN say that JP would be undefeated with the Bears and that defense, especially if he was in his 2nd year in the offense.

As for seeing the field and not locking-onto one WR, JP's been spreading the ball around all season long.  Yesterday he had so many drops from the WR's not named Evans, he stopped looking for everyone else.

799912[/snapback]

Yes, but completing passes to several receivers in a game is not the same as looking at more than 1 receiver on a given play and then passing to the last one that you look at. JP missed a number of open receivers yesterday, but all QBs do that to some extent. That should get better over time. Parrish, in particular, was open a couple times yesterday including one of the interceptions.

Grossman yesterday did a beautiful job on the first TD to Berrian of looking the safety off to Grossman's left and then coming back to the right to a wide open Berrian. Our safety was on the other half of the field when that ball was thrown.

Question: Was JP locking in on Evans, or was Price failing to get open?

800075[/snapback]

I don't know...it looks like this year, I won't get to see even one Bills game what with the season-long 1 PM starts.

I use nfl.com's play-by-play, so I'm often like a blind man commenting on the poor quality of the tv picture. :lol: