Why is everyone kissing Chicago's butt?

yeah I still don't get it.  Looking at likely playoff teams from the AFC: San Diego, Denver, NE, Baltimore, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville...obv. 2 of these teams won't make it but where would you rank the Colts defense in this group?  Along with Cincy they're clearly the worst IMO; and that's not even counting the NFC so there's no way their defense will be one of the 5 best in the playoffs.

797250[/snapback]

In the AFC playoffs yes ... because the AFC doesnt play the NFC until the SB ... so who cares?

I dont think Denver or Pittsburgh will make this playoffs and I think even Jacksonville may struggle. That leaves San Diego, Baltimore, NE, and Cincy. So the Colts are probably #5 ...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not saying that they are any better than last year. But I think other teams are not as good as last year. Pittsburgh has fallen mightily. New England has shown flashes of good play, but also bad play, Cinci lost to NE, and Denver has shown glaring holes. Maybe we can put a small bet on it? But I see Indianapolis going to the SB this year.

Remember that only 4 weeks have been played, and also remember that one game (Cincy losing to NE) does not a season make.

As far as the running game goes? May I remind you that the Patriots won a SB with Antowain Smith at RB ... woohee. Well anyway if you look then you will see that the Colts running game last year WITH Edgerrin James has only 18 more yards through 4 games than the Colts have this year. So I dont really think that whole 18 yards is going to kill anyone considering thats around 4 yards a game difference. Joseph Addai is actually doing quite well with an average of 4.5 yards a carry.

New England also ran the ball for 133 yards in that game against St. Louis.

Don't kid yourself that Indy's running game is as good as it was last years after losing edge. Its not. So far they've ran the ball against NYJ, Jacksonville, Houston, and the Giants. Against the only two run defenses in the top half of the league, NYG and Jax, they had 55 yards and 63 yards respectively.

This also magnifies their #30 run defense. They aren't going to win ball control games without extenuating circumstances (such as good ST play vs the Jags).

Also. What is your definition of Elite? If they go 14-2 are you still going to be calling them "good" but not "elite" ???

An elite team is one that can win in the playoffs. If they go 14-2, and then lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs after a bye, they aren't an elite team. They are a good team whose offense won them some football games.

They have the 11th ranked defense in the AFC and shutdown Jacksonville's offensive attack that led to a record 12-4 last season. Not to mention that 5 of the 10 defenses above them dont look like they will make the playoffs at this point in the season (although things can change) KC, Miami, Oak, Pitt, and Buffalo. So going into the playoffs they will probably be in the top 5 of defenses.

Jacksonville doesn't have a good offense by any stretch of the imagination. They are a team that relies on their good defense to win them games. Jacksonville is good at picking on teams with small defenses, but when they go up against an average defense, they're outmatched. Currently Jacksonville is 13th/32nd in the NFL on offense.

Now, Indy's defense is currently 20th in points allowed in the NFL. Thats in the bottom half of the NFL, and its only good for 11th in the AFC out of 16 teams, which is the bottom 3rd of the AFC. This after going up against the likes of Houston and Jacksonville, both teams with mediocre, at best, offenses. They are also the 3rd worst defense at stopping the run in the NFL. You aren't gonna win many games like that.

So you want to talk about Chicago's running game do you? Well put it this way ... the Colts (who you made fun of their running game and praised Chicago's) have more rushing yards than Chicago and their great running back Thomas Jones is averaging 3.3 yards a carry this year. Wait to this Chicago team meets Baltimore or San Diego who are giving up 2.6 and 3.3 yards per carry.  Way to put your foot in your mouth.

Wait till Indianapolis meets Baltimore or San Diego, who are giving up 2.6 and 3.3 yards per carry (and in the AFC, mind you). Chicago's running game has a lot to do thus far that teams came into the season playing the run versus them. No one expected Grossman to be ready to play like he has. As defenses have to stay more honest vs them, they'll run better. You saw this vs Seattle, when TJ rushed for 98 yards and 2 TDs, and the Bears as a team rushed for 143 yards. This against the 6th best rushing defense in the NFL, who prior to this game, hadn't let a team get more then 73 yards rushing (even the Giants couldn't break 100 yards rushing on them).

Personally I think that calling a Chicago team that couldnt win even with having an extra week to prepare and being at home in the playoffs last year, and who is off to a 4-0 start against VERY weak opponents better than the Colts team who has gone something like 42-10 or something in the past 3 years is somewhat ignorant. But thats just me.

One of the lessons I had to learn was that in the NFL, relying on last years records as anything more then a general benchmark is a mistake. A couple small changes can add up to a high impact on records.

Remember, Indy hasn't exactly had a hard schedule either. They beat the Giants and barely beat the Jags, which is about on par with Chicago's beating of Minnesota and Seattle.

Lets just make a little bet here. No need to be bitter. But I bet that they go to the SB .... although I dont know if they win it  :devil:

797120[/snapback]

I don't bet money on sports games outside of fantasy stuff (gotta restrict myself - college is expensive lol), but I'd be willing to bet you our signiture lines for the two weeks between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl.

In the AFC playoffs yes ... because the AFC doesnt play the NFC until the SB ... so who cares?

I dont think Denver or Pittsburgh will make this playoffs and I think even Jacksonville may struggle. That leaves San Diego, Baltimore, NE, and Cincy. So the Colts are probably #5 ...

797266[/snapback]

Who al makes the playoffs then?

SD, Baltimore, NE, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, ??

(By the way, 5th best in the playoffs = worst 3rd)

Remember that only 4 weeks have been played, and also remember that one game (Cincy losing to NE) does not a season make.

New England also ran the ball for 133 yards in that game against St. Louis.

Don't kid yourself that Indy's running game is as good as it was last years after losing edge.  Its not.  So far they've ran the ball against NYJ, Jacksonville, Houston, and the Giants.  Against the only two run defenses in the top half of the league, NYG and Jax, they had 55 yards and 63 yards respectively.

This also magnifies their #30 run defense.  They aren't going to win ball control games without extenuating circumstances (such as good ST play vs the Jags). 

An elite team is one that can win in the playoffs.  If they go 14-2, and then lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs after a bye, they aren't an elite team.  They are a good team whose offense won them some football games.

Jacksonville doesn't have a good offense by any stretch of the imagination.  They are a team that relies on their good defense to win them games.  Jacksonville is good at picking on teams with small defenses, but when they go up against an average defense, they're outmatched.  Currently Jacksonville is 13th/32nd in the NFL on offense.

Now, Indy's defense is currently 20th in points allowed in the NFL.  Thats in the bottom half of the NFL, and its only good for 11th in the AFC out of 16 teams, which is the bottom 3rd of the AFC.  This after going up against the likes of Houston and Jacksonville, both teams with mediocre, at best, offenses.  They are also the 3rd worst defense at stopping the run in the NFL.  You aren't gonna win many games like that.

Wait till Indianapolis meets Baltimore or San Diego, who are giving up 2.6 and 3.3 yards per carry (and in the AFC, mind you).  Chicago's running game has a lot to do thus far that teams came into the season playing the run versus them.  No one expected Grossman to be ready to play like he has.  As defenses have to stay more honest vs them, they'll run better.  You saw this vs Seattle, when TJ rushed for 98 yards and 2 TDs, and the Bears as a team rushed for 143 yards.  This against the 6th best rushing defense in the NFL, who prior to this game, hadn't let a team get more then 73 yards rushing (even the Giants couldn't break 100 yards rushing on them).

One of the lessons I had to learn was that in the NFL, relying on last years records as anything more then a general benchmark is a mistake.  A couple small changes can add up to a high impact on records.

Remember, Indy hasn't exactly had a hard schedule either.  They beat the Giants and barely beat the Jags, which is about on par with Chicago's beating of Minnesota and Seattle.

I don't bet money on sports games outside of fantasy stuff (gotta restrict myself - college is expensive lol), but I'd be willing to bet you our signiture lines for the two weeks between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl.

797290[/snapback]

you got it bro ... deal

For goodness sakes. Yes they look very good, and yes we are a huge underdog, but for goodness sakes ... we are FANS ... were suppose to be talking about our team winning. I dont think anyone thought (including Las Vegas odssmakers) that the Jets could beat Indi and by goodness if they didnt leave Peyton 2:00  minutes to drive then they would have beaten Indi. The Chicago Bears are playing inspired football. They are also starting a QB who has only started 5 games in the past two years. They are good and they are 4-0 ... but lets face it. We should be ATLEAST 3-1 and possibly 4-0 if we could just score against the Jets when we should have (3 attempts from the 2 yard line - bootleg), fake field goal ...etc

Now instead of kissing their butt for the stuff they are good at lets look at a few things:

They have played Greenbay, Detroit, Minnesota (who nearly won it), and Seattle* A combined record of 6-10 ...

** Seattle was playing without their MVP

Note: Minnesota gave them a wild game and was leading with about a minute left if I remember right.

They are ranked 21st in rushing offense (thats good considering our run defense usually is not good)

The next coming of Jim Kelly, AKA, Rex Grossman actually has 4 TD's and 3 INT's, for 772 yards when taking away a cake walk of a game against Detroit at the Bears home opener. Looks like Losman numbers dont they?

NOTE: He has yet to throw for over 300 yards even though he has faced Detroit, Greenbay, and Minnesota. Oh yeah - Losman also has a better completion percentage.

Chicago is 4th in the league in penalty yards giving up 260 yards of Penalties. An everage of 65 a game.

Anyway ... I just figured I would give a positive post out of all the negativity floating around.  ;)

795648[/snapback]

Hey, dax...this is why. :devil: