Bagging on ST earlier

Beerball

I bagged on the special teams earlier...and wasn't 'fair and balanced'...

The formation for the on side kick was brilliant. April found a way around the new rule. This one will be copied across the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rules committee institute a revision this off season.

Outstanding work coach!

I missed it.  What did they do?

785583[/snapback]

Teams used to overload one side of the field, and then overwhelm that area. The rules committee felt that the risk of injury was too high, so they changed the rule for kickoffs. You now must have at least 4 players on each side of the ball.

To get around the rule, April overloaded the middle of the field. The kickoff coverage team was bunched to the center of the field, in essence overloading the middle. The jets did not adjust (or call a timeout) and the kick worked to perfection. It was great coaching. Sad that it was executed in a loss.

Yep... did you see the onside the Giants tried in their game? The kicker ran up, faked a kick to the left side, then turned and kicked it to the right side. Because there were only four guys on the right side, the Giants didn't have a chance to get to the ball before a 'hawk tipped it out of bounds. <_< April's ploy was perfect, and not just because it worked, but because we had 11 guys there ready to get the ball.