Watching Jets/Pats on NFL Replay

Dan

First, I'm not nearly as impressed with the Jets as I was. It looks like the classic scenario of a good team running up the score early on a bad team. Good team then takes it easy and Bad team gets a few breaks and starts to comeback. Once the score gets to within a touchdown, the Good team turns it back on and shuts them down.

I actually feel much better about tomorrow's game. I've been wondering why everyone has been posting that we'll blow the Jets out - now I know. I still don't think that'll happen; this is one of those divisional games that both teams always seem to play tough. So, I'd be surprised if anyone gets blown out.

2nd Observation: What was up with the QB sneak on 1st down when the Jets were driving in the 4th quarter? They were down 24-14, had the ball on about the Pats 18, first down; and what do they do? QB sneak, now its 2-7. Two plays later they kick the field goal. Did I miss something on the replay? Because that play call has got to be about the worst call in the history of history.

2nd Observation:  What was up with the QB sneak on 1st down when the Jets were driving in the 4th quarter?  They were down 24-14, had the ball on about the Pats 18, first down; and what do they do?  QB sneak, now its 2-7.  Two plays later they kick the field goal.  Did I miss something on the replay? Because that play call has got to be about the worst call in the history of history.

783582[/snapback]

That paticular play seemed to be the ghost of Herm Edwards. I honestly dont expect this game to be close. Not that division games aren't tough, but the jets really are a case of a one dimensional offense and we're in a defensive system designed to shut down a short passing offense. Especially considering they have no run game and pennington has no arm to challenge deep I look for this to be a long day for the jets. Establish the run and pressure pennington and I see no reason why we cant win this by 2 tds.

2nd Observation: What was up with the QB sneak on 1st down when the Jets were driving in the 4th quarter? They were down 24-14, had the ball on about the Pats 18, first down; and what do they do? QB sneak, now its 2-7. Two plays later they kick the field goal. Did I miss something on the replay? Because that play call has got to be about the worst call in the history of history.

Where are you going with this? If I understand you correctly, it was 1st down and the Jets pulled a QB sneak and gained 3 yards. If they gained 3 yards on 1st down, why is that a bad thing? Does it matter whether they gained those 3 yards on a sweep, run up the middle, screen pass, reverse, or quick out? Last thing I knew, 2nd and 7 wasn't a bad thing. Certainly manageable.

So, I don't understand why it was the 'worst call in the history of history". Either you don't have much knowledge of history, haven't watched the Bills play calling over the past 5 years, or it's just that you hate the Jets (and even if they make a good play it's a bad play). In any case, I don't get what the issue is over that play call if it was for a plus three yards. For it to have been a good play, should the QB have had to gain at least 10 yards or score a touchdown?

Where are you going with this?  If I understand you correctly, it was 1st down and the Jets pulled a QB sneak and gained 3 yards.  If they gained 3 yards on 1st down, why is that a bad thing?  Does it matter whether they gained those 3 yards on a sweep, run up the middle, screen pass, reverse, or quick out?  Last thing I knew, 2nd and 7 wasn't a bad thing.  Certainly manageable.

So, I don't understand why it was the 'worst call in the history of history".  Either you don't have much knowledge of history, haven't watched the Bills play calling over the past 5 years, or it's just that you hate the Jets (and even if they make a good play it's a bad play).  In any case, I don't get what the issue is over that play call if it was for a plus three yards.  For it to have been a good play, should the QB have had to gain at least 10 yards or score a touchdown?

783623[/snapback]

I was watching to and I thought it was a creative call. Catch them by surprise. Didnt think it was a disaster or anything.

I suppose I shouldn't comment since I didn't watch that game. Still, while it does smack of creative play calling and trying to catch the defense napping, it does seem a little risky to put your bread and butter at risk like that. By all accounts the passing game appears to be all the Jets have. What would they do if Chad took a shot and injured his shoulder again? Boy would the NY media have a field day with that one. As it is they seem to have issues with the Greg Williams approach of trying to put square pegs in round holes with regards to the defensive scheme that the Jets are using.

Where are you going with this?  If I understand you correctly, it was 1st down and the Jets pulled a QB sneak and gained 3 yards.  If they gained 3 yards on 1st down, why is that a bad thing?  Does it matter whether they gained those 3 yards on a sweep, run up the middle, screen pass, reverse, or quick out?  Last thing I knew, 2nd and 7 wasn't a bad thing.  Certainly manageable.

So, I don't understand why it was the 'worst call in the history of history".  Either you don't have much knowledge of history, haven't watched the Bills play calling over the past 5 years, or it's just that you hate the Jets (and even if they make a good play it's a bad play).  In any case, I don't get what the issue is over that play call if it was for a plus three yards.  For it to have been a good play, should the QB have had to gain at least 10 yards or score a touchdown?

783623[/snapback]

I'm not saying getting 3 yds is bad. And if it was a QB sneak where the ball was hiked to Chad and he ran (more like a QB draw), then that wouldn't even be an issue. But from what I saw (and granted I could have seen it wrong), it was a short yardage QB sneak. Ya know with where the QB just dives into the center/gap and gets the yard needed for first down.

The reason that was horrible, as I saw it, was the play is designed to get a yard or 2; and in no way will ever gain more than a few yards. Why not call a conventional run or something? Even if its designed to only get a few yards, the running back might break it and get much more.

I'm not saying getting 3 yds is bad.  And if it was a QB sneak where the ball was hiked to Chad and he ran (more like a QB draw), then that wouldn't even be an issue.  But from what I saw (and granted I could have seen it wrong), it was a short yardage QB sneak.  Ya know with where the QB just dives into the center/gap and gets the yard needed for first down.

The reason that was horrible, as I saw it, was the play is designed to get a yard or 2; and in no way will ever gain more than a few yards.  Why not call a conventional run or something? Even if its designed to only get a few yards, the running back might break it and get much more.

783841[/snapback]

I think that call is an audible that every team has - if the QB sees something with the middle wide open he can just take the snap and run. I even remember Bledslow doing that once or twice with the Bills. I think the idea is that you can get more than just a couple yards on the play but it doesn't always work that way.

a lot of things would have to go right for the Bills to blow anyone out, they just dont have the offense for it so anyone who is saying that just isnt paying attention or is just saying it to say it

Sure they have the offense for it. They have speedsters in Evans and Price and JP who can air it out with the best of 'em.

That being said, I see the Bills again relying on the ground game and efficiency from JP. Save the fireworks for another game.