will officiating affect outcome?

oregonbbfan

Yes, I said affecting outcome. I am still ticked about the Witner out of bounds, quick whistle, no person named, call. What a difference in game outcome if they get that call right or we can contest it. At least get a good explanation and better spot. Does anyone know if a protest or film was sent to the NFL? Was there any response or clarification or apology issued by NFL officials?

I am sick of all the bad calls and the inability to get it right. We have the technology and there are no excuses. The NFL's credabilty is at stake when people all over the world see plays ( SB and others) and they let it stand. The best way to keep your credability and eliminate any accusations of home or big market bias is to GET IT RIGHT EVERY TIME.

There have been many discussions on this board about full time ref's but that still relies on the human factor in a game going at blazing speed. The NFL needs to help those ref's get it right and give a team a fair shake at controlling it's own destiny.

As stated, we have the technology to eliminate plays such as the play where eveyone saw H. Miller step out of bounds causing the "limp throw " by Saban. Saban should not have had to throw it because there should have been officials in the booth reviewing the many angles that technology brings. Then technology allows those officials the ability to talk instantaneously, through headphones on an official on the field, to correct the play.

Then there are rules. Why can't a coach have 3 protests a half to call anything from a spot, to an egregous MO altering penalty call, to a catch, a fumble or anything that could cost a team a game. What are they worried about, hurting the ref's feelings, taking too much time ( get rid of one of the rediculous number of commercials) or allowing the wrong team to win?

Enough ranting, has there been any grading feedback for last weeks games? In my opinion, the officals have not gotten better unless you're on the receiving end. The NFL needs to fix it and keep the playing field level. Is there anything we can do to drive this home to the NFL?

Yes, I said affecting outcome. I am still ticked about the Witner out of bounds, quick whistle, no person named, call. What a difference in game outcome if they get that call right or we can contest it. At least get a good explanation and better spot. Does anyone know if a protest or film was sent to the NFL? Was there any response or clarification or apology issued by NFL officials?

I am sick of all the bad calls and the inability to get it right. We have the technology and there are no excuses.  The NFL's credabilty is at stake when people all over the world see plays ( SB and others) and they let it stand. The best way to keep your credability and eliminate any accusations of home or big market bias is to GET IT RIGHT EVERY TIME.

There have been many discussions on this board about full time ref's but that still relies on the human factor in a game going at blazing speed. The NFL needs to help those ref's get it right and give a team a fair shake at controlling it's own destiny.

As stated, we have the technology to eliminate plays such as the play where eveyone saw H. Miller step out of bounds causing the "limp throw " by Saban. Saban should not have had to throw it because there should have been officials in the booth reviewing the many angles that technology brings. Then technology allows those officials the ability to talk instantaneously, through headphones on an official on the field, to correct the play.

Then there are rules. Why can't a coach have 3 protests a half to call anything from a spot, to an egregous MO altering penalty call, to a catch, a fumble or anything that could cost a team a game. What are they worried about, hurting the ref's feelings, taking too much time ( get rid of one of the rediculous number of commercials) or allowing the wrong team to win?

Enough ranting, has there been any grading feedback for last weeks games? In my opinion, the officals have not gotten better unless you're on the receiving end. The NFL needs to fix it and keep the playing field level. Is there anything we can do to drive this home to the NFL?

775116[/snapback]

I used to love this one game for Sega Genesis called Mutant League Football You got to kill Kill the Ref with an audible, as well as bribe the ref, if you killed the ref they replaced him with a new ref and you got a five yard penalty, and this ref won't be bribed. btw, the point of the game was to win by scoring the most points or killing all of the players on the other team.

I am sick of all the bad calls and the inability to get it right. We have the technology and there are no excuses.  The NFL's credabilty is at stake when people all over the world see plays ( SB and others) and they let it stand. The best way to keep your credability and eliminate any accusations of home or big market bias is to GET IT RIGHT EVERY TIME.

775116[/snapback]

Believe me, it's not incompetence. The refs knew what they were doing last week. They were carrying out the actions that the league officials imposed on them...do not leave that stadium unless the Pats are 1-0! This week they will impose that their other very marketable South Florida team does not go home 0-2. If you don't believe me, watch! Because, I won't be.

All of the teams in the NFL are so close, that 1 or 2 pivotal calls can change the outcome of the game. It's incredible how many times NFL refs make major blunders. The most disappointing part is that there is no recourse. Players and coaches are fined a pretty penny for criticizing the officials. Referee incompetence is a well known fact, but continues to be swept under the rug by the league.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy...I don't think the league has their favorites. I think the refs just suck.

All of the teams in the NFL are so close, that 1 or 2 pivotal calls can change the outcome of the game.  It's incredible how many times NFL refs make major blunders.  The most disappointing part is that there is no recourse.  Players and coaches are fined a pretty penny for criticizing the officials.  Referee incompetence is a well known fact, but continues to be swept under the rug by the league.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy...I don't think the league has their favorites.  I think the refs just suck.

775252[/snapback]

I agree, however I feel there is always(in all sports) the natural bias towards the superstar(player or team). It is a natural human reaction to let a BIG NAME get away with a small infringement rather than his no-name opponent.

All those who think there is a huge conspiracy...i.e. the word from above orchestrating results is perhaps a bit simple.

Until we are perceived to be a super team with superstars, we will naturally get the arse end of a few extra calls per game....esp. if we are playing a 'favourite' such as the Pats or the Phins.

You're right. Winning is a soothing salve that solves all the problems. When you are a winning team you get the respect, the calls and are able to overcome the bad calls when they occurr. Until we start winning we will look for any reason to replace that soothing salve. Please Marv, turn the corner to winning football, and soon!

You're right. Winning is a soothing salve that solves all the problems. When you are a winning team you get the respect, the calls and are able to overcome the bad calls when they occurr. Until we start winning we will look for any reason to replace that soothing salve. Please Marv, turn the corner to winning football, and soon!

775333[/snapback]

That's the deal. Good teams win. Buffalo was a small market team in the SB years too, but a good small market team. I don't recall the rest of America getting on board, and saying, Yay, the Bills in the SB again".

Yes, there were some poor calls in the NE game, but the intensity of the Bills, and aggresiveness also dropped dramatically. There were several factors that added up to a loss, and poor officiating, though a factor, was not the largest.

That's the deal.  Good teams win.  Buffalo was a small market team in the SB years too, but a good small market team.  I don't recall the rest of America getting on board, and saying, Yay, the Bills in the SB again". 

Yes, there were some poor calls in the NE game, but the intensity of the Bills, and aggresiveness also dropped dramatically.  There were several factors that added up to a loss, and poor officiating, though a factor, was not the largest.

775368[/snapback]

I agree. Although, I am the biggest proponent of the conspiracy model on this board, I will say that until the Bills start winning BIG, and their team is flittered with BIG name stars, the team won't be marketable in terms of promotion and advertising $. When that does happen, the league will have the refs favor us. SO, it is apparent until JP and Lee and Willis start making big plays in a big way and ESPN starts their drivel about us, we will continue to lose. Dolphins 27 Bills 14. Two Dolphin touchdowns due to bad calls. One Bills touchdown called back for a phantom hold.

775116[/snapback]

YES, stop watching.. like me. I'll be watching the Mets finally clinch today. I have a bottle of champagne that is beginning to get stale.

The Jets are getting screwed in the Jets v. NE game.  What a shocker.  :lol:

776718[/snapback]

Like the lame defensive holding call to give the Patriettes a first down after they would have had to kick a field goal.

Did I ever mention that I hate the Patsies?