SHOCK! MUSLIMs OUTRAGED!

pdh1

Well, it really isn't an over-reaction. They are merely following their precious holy text.

777720[/snapback]

Also not an over-reaction. Protesting and threatening people going to Catholic mass. 0:)

Link with pictures.

Unfortunately after Mass today at Westminster Cathedral it was shoved in my face. Holy Mass on a Sunday is the very source and summit of the Catholic week, so my family decided this Sunday to make the trip to Westminster Cathedral together. As we came out about 100 Islamists were chanting slogans such as "Pope Benedict go to Hell" "Pope Benedict you will pay, the Muja Hadeen are coming your way" "Pope Benedict watch your back" and other pretty hateful things.

Maybe Religion of Peace should be changed to Religion of Perpetually Angry, Sometimes Violent, Cry-Babies .

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I had to counter the fallacy in your first statement before proceeding any further. By your logic, since Jesus said nothing about automobiles and computers, wacko evangelicals would be able to rationalize a ban on driving and computing due to the lack of comment on either subject by Christ?

Just because someone calls themselves Christian, doesn't make it so. The whole point of Christ's teachings were peace, acceptance, and tolerance. Someone misinterpreting his work doesn't nullify the work, it just makes the person a retard.

Secondly, Christ basically said to ignore the old testament stuff, so there goes the argument associating Christianity with the slavery, sacrifice, and violence found in the old testement.

Lasty, Islam IS a violent religion. Forget what the books (Hadith and Quran) say, even though they advocate subrogation and violence against non-believers, and look at the life of Mohammed the doucheba.... I mean "Phrophet". The guy MURDERED people. He killed many. Sure he started out peaceful, mostly because he had no power or authority. But once he had those, look out.

A violent Christian is a bit of an oxymoron. They are mutually exclusive. If you are one, you are not the other. Plain and simple.

Islam on the other hand encourages violence. Both through the scripture and through the example of the creator of said religion.

774875[/snapback]

And then there's this little tidbit that I found in a AP article:

"The group said Muslims would be victorious and addressed the pope as "the worshipper of the cross" saying "you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose head tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (killed by) the sword."

Islam forbids drinking alcohol and requires non-Muslims to pay a head tax to safeguard their lives if conquered by Muslims. They are exempt if they convert to Islam."

It's us against them, folks. They're not tolerant; why should we be?

Civilized and technologically advanced?  You mean, like...Islam in the 11th century?  0:)

777940[/snapback]

That would be the revisionist view. Up until the turn of the milennium, Islam was still invovled in violent conquest of much of the known world. It was HARDLY civilized.

bull sh--.

You never see christians crashing planes into civilian buildings. You never see christians hiding weaponry among women and children. You never see christians beheading people on video. You never see christians mutilating women or forcing people into conversion.

I'm an agnostic/atheist, but even I can see there's ONE religion in this world thats a a bigger threat to civilization and rationality than any other.

777490[/snapback]

Hiding weaponry amongst civilians has little or nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the nature of asymmetric warfare. You can find umpteen examples of this in history and you would be pretty hard pressed to argue that any ethnic group or religion is more "guilty" of this than any other.

What I find amusing about this is that there are 300 stories about the Pope's anti-Islamic remarks that don't refer to what he said that is interpreted as anti-Islamic.

This is the viral type of reporting that inflames rather than educates.

"Muslims angry over Pope's Anti-Islamic Remarks"

The Pope must of said something anti-Islamic because everyone is reporting he did, and in reaction there was more violence today.

Hiding weaponry amongst civilians has little or nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the nature of asymmetric warfare. You can find umpteen examples of this in history and you would be pretty hard pressed to argue that any ethnic group or religion is more "guilty" of this than any other.

777977[/snapback]

While his examples may not be the best, understand his point: we are at war with Islam, or rather Islam is at war with us.

I'm not hearing sh*t from the so-called peaceful members either. I used to think this was due to the loudest people being the only ones heard, but I think it's beyond that now.

The moderates are too quiet, and everytime a muslim blows himself and/or someone else up in the name of allah, they always find some way to point the finger at someone else. "Oh, it's poverty" or "US Imperialism" or "the Zionist pig". Someone else is always at fault, and the West needs to start blaming their sh*tty belief systems and culture. It's unfortunate, because a lot of decent people are gonna die on both sides before its over. And from what I can tell there are 2 possible outcomes, and one of them is the global islamic community stepping up and fixing THEIR problems.

777977[/snapback]

I suspect the Buddhists are pretty innocent of it, though...

That would be the revisionist view. Up until the turn of the milennium, Islam was still invovled in violent conquest of much of the known world. It was HARDLY civilized.

777948[/snapback]

Compared to what? The modern liberal Christian western ideal?

For the era...the Islamic world was the center of trade, culture, art, literature, and science in the world. Even in modern times, their devotion to such would be considered commendable. When it came to personal freedoms and religious tolerance - what are usally considered the modern hallmarks of "civilization" - they were second only to the Mongols. It was safer to be a Jew in Merv or Samarkand or Baghdad than it was in Paris or Rheims or Venice back then.

Of course, your argument COULD be that Islam never divorced the political from the religious...much as Europe believed in the "Divine Right of Kings" until around 1800, and some of America still does (witness Kathleen Harris' incredibly ignorant remarks from a few weeks back).

Or maybe your complaint is simply with violent conquest. Good thing civilized western nations never do that.

Compared to what?  The modern liberal Christian western ideal?

For the era...the Islamic world was the center of trade, culture, art, literature, and science in the world.  Even in modern times, their devotion to such would be considered commendable.  When it came to personal freedoms and religious tolerance - what are usally considered the modern hallmarks of "civilization" - they were second only to the Mongols.  It was safer to be a Jew in Merv or Samarkand or Baghdad than it was in Paris or Rheims or Venice back then. 

Of course, your argument COULD be that Islam never divorced the political from the religious...much as Europe believed in the "Divine Right of Kings" until around 1800, and some of America still does (witness Kathleen Harris' incredibly ignorant remarks from a few weeks back). 

Or maybe your complaint is simply with violent conquest.  Good thing civilized western nations never do that.

778117[/snapback]

FOR THE ERA.

The three key words in your post. The 11th century wasn't exactly a hallmark century in human history. It was frought with violence and poverty, ignorance and war.

In the 21st century, we have Democracy. We have technology. We have mass literacy. We have free trade. Most importantly, we have the ideal that even the ignorant hard-line muslim or fundamentalist christian has the right to believe what they want SO LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON ANOTHER'S RIGHT.

That's what I'm saying. This community harbors a significant element that wished to see that very way of life overturned by way of force. To not battle that movement to the death and by any means necessary is to surrender western culture to ignorance.

In the 21st century, we have Democracy. We have technology. We have mass literacy. We have free trade. Most importantly, we have the ideal that even the ignorant hard-line muslim or fundamentalist christian has the right to believe what they want SO LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON ANOTHER'S RIGHT.

778205[/snapback]

Just like the 11th century Islamic world.

778223[/snapback]

Do you have a time machine? You seem to be stuck in the past.

Who gives a sh*t about how good or bad things were 1000 years ago. We are discussing a problem in the present that grows worse with each passing day. Radical Islam is spreading like wildfire and apologists like you are more concerned with trying to convince everyone that:

a) there is no problem

b) since other relions have been bad, there is no need to point fingers at islam

c) this is just a reaction to oppressive policy

d) all of the above

The problem is, all of those answers are wrong.

Also not an over-reaction.  Protesting and threatening people going to Catholic mass.   :doh:

Link with pictures.

Maybe Religion of Peace should be changed to Religion of Perpetually Angry, Sometimes Violent, Cry-Babies .

777763[/snapback]

Charming. Here is today's winner of the "Are you F*$#King kidding me award":

"In Indonesia, where more than 100 people rallied in front of the heavily guarded Vatican Embassy in Jakarta, waving banners that said the "Pope is building religion on hatred."

Do you have a time machine? You seem to be stuck in the past.

Who gives a sh*t about how good or bad things were 1000 years ago. We are discussing a problem in the present that grows worse with each passing day. Radical Islam is spreading like wildfire and apologists like you are more concerned with trying to convince everyone that:

a) there is no problem

b) since other relions have been bad, there is no need to point fingers at islam

c) this is just a reaction to oppressive policy

d) all of the above

The problem is, all of those answers are wrong.

778228[/snapback]

Actually, JSP is discussing how Islam is, was, and has always been an uncivilized religion. Despite it being the flower of civilization for a couple hundred years.

And yes, that IS relevant, because if you don't understand the history of the Islamic world, you won't understand how it went from being a truly great civilization to the reactionary, xenophobic, intolerant civilization it is today. Or, in other words, those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat ignorant nonsense on the internet.

bull sh--.

You never see christians crashing planes into civilian buildings. You never see christians hiding weaponry among women and children. You never see christians beheading people on video. You never see christians mutilating women or forcing people into conversion.

I'm an agnostic/atheist, but even I can see there's ONE religion in this world thats a a bigger threat to civilization and rationality than any other.

777490[/snapback]

Joe, i completely agree. Islam is hands down possibly the greatest threat in the modern world. But during the crusades, kings manipulated the text in the Bible to rally support for their cause of going into the holy land and taking it. The Crusades were for nothing else but to gain land and bring slaves back to the mother country.

Modern day Islamic Fundamentalists are doing the exact same thing by manipulating the text of the Quran and taking words that once had meaning, but don't anymore, and using them as truth in the modern day to gain support for their cause so that they can gain power and wealth.

As to hiding weaponry among women and children, communist Vietnam hid weapons among women and children in villiages, and they were atheistic people by law. So your basis for that argument no longer stands.

Modern Islam is a threat because of the amount of faith that the followers have in the religious belief. If one like Osama Bin Laden is alowwed to manipulate the text and persuade people to believe the words in the Quran the way he has interpreted them, then the followers of Islamic Fundamentalism are going to do something with a lot of shock value, because they know that that is something that gets under the skin of Christians. When you have Beurocratic douche bags running your country that are willing to kill a human being because of the length of their beard, it is almost a given that the people of that country are going to become calus to violent acts that disgust you and I.

This argument is not necessarily directly about terrorist actions but instead about organized and formal religion, and their inabilities to realize that they are not what drives the modern day world. They were at one point, but much like Rosa Parks, (No this is not meant to insult or racist, but instead a similie) they aren't willing to realize that they have to take a back seat to other things that drive the modern world.

Organized and Formal Religion= 8=====D :doh:

Actually, JSP is discussing how Islam is, was, and has always been an uncivilized religion.  Despite it being the flower of civilization for a couple hundred years.

And yes, that IS relevant, because if you don't understand the history of the Islamic world, you won't understand how it went from being a truly great civilization to the reactionary, xenophobic, intolerant civilization it is today.  Or, in other words, those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat ignorant nonsense on the internet.

778239[/snapback]

Again, the history of islam is rooted in violence, oppression, and intolerance.

See: Life of Mohammed.

You can blame all of the outside influences that there are and ever were, that doesn't change the fact that they worship the life and times of a murderous conqueror.

As far as the crusades go, they were a reaction to islamic violence. Both sides were bad, but one side started it. Wanna guess who? I shouldn't have to tell you if you know so much about their history.

Again, the history of islam is rooted in violence, oppression, and intolerance.

See: Life of Mohammed.

You can blame all of the outside influences that there are and ever were, that doesn't change the fact that they worship the life and times of a murderous conqueror.

As far as the crusades go, they were a reaction to islamic violence. Both sides were bad, but one side started it. Wanna guess who? I shouldn't have to tell you if you know so much about their history.

778295[/snapback]

Let's also not forget that it was a religion that was created around a time during the crusades, when infadels were coming into the holy land and were truly the enemy.

Or maybe your complaint is simply with violent conquest.  Good thing civilized western nations never do that.

778117[/snapback]

I am trying to recall the last time someone put a gun to person's head and said "Covert and become a christian, or die!!"

IF you bring up something from 300 plus years ago, get ready for great big pimp slap

Let's also not forget that it was a religion that was created around a time during the crusades, when infadels were coming into the holy land and were truly the enemy.

778315[/snapback]

Huh? The holy lands were taken over by the muslims. The Crusades were launched to take them back. Unless all the Christians and Jews decided over night to become Muslims. Don't think it happened that way.

778223[/snapback]

WHAT?

They taxed non-believers and kept them separate from their own. They most certainly were not TOLERANT. They begrudgingly accepted SOME Christians and Jews, and wantonly slaughtered those who tried to resist.