Discipline

Guest BackInDaDay

Guest BackInDaDay

into the media room at OBD to watch yesterday's game. Every time he detects a player screwing up... stop the tape and replay that play pointing out the mistake made. Then ask that player to explain to his teammates why he made the mistake. Embarassed players won't like it, to be sure, but each must be held responsible for his preparation during the work week and his execution on gameday!

This team is an undisciplined, dysfunctional family. It has been so for over a year. It will remain so until they're shown that they are at least accountable to one another for their actions. MM must pull them together now, before they drift further apart. Circle the wagons, coach, and take control of this team! :lol:

Guest BackInDaDay
into the media room at OBD to watch yesterday's game.  Every time he detects a player screwing up... stop the tape and replay that play pointing out the mistake made.  Then ask that player to explain to his teammates why he made the mistake.  Embarassed players won't like it, to be sure, but each must be held responsible for his preparation during the work week and his execution on gameday! 

This team is an undisciplined, dysfunctional family.  It has been so for over a year.  It will remain so until they're shown that they are at least accountable to one another for their actions.  MM must pull them together now, before they drift further apart.  Circle the wagons, coach, and take control of this team!  :devil:

55606[/snapback]

Well at least I feel better about MM ...

The Bills Lose Vincent To Knee Surgery

Paul Hamilton - Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 2:38 AM

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550)- Troy Vincent had his knee scoped on Monday. The CB will miss two to four weeks. That should put Terrence McGee in the starting lineup. McGee played so well last Sunday that Pats coach Bill Belichick went out of his way to come up to the kid and tell him how impressed he was with him. McGee made some coverage mistakes, but also broke up some key passes and had an interception taken away by replay. He took a kickoff back 98 yards for a touchdown. McGee leads the NFL with a 33.4 yard average on eight returns.

Mike Mularkey said Trey Teague was having a MRI on his knee, but he didn't know the results. Jonas Jennings stayed home as he fights of the symptoms of a concussion.

The Bills watched film as a team for the first time staying over an hour extra. Mularkey says it's useful to do once in awhile so players are accountable to each other.

Well at least I feel better about MM ...

The Bills Lose Vincent To Knee Surgery

The Bills watched film as a team for the first time staying over an hour extra. Mularkey says it's useful to do once in awhile so players are accountable to each other.

57460[/snapback]

I hope he also showed them Joe Burns, on the sideline after his penalty, laughing about it. This sent me off the deep end at home.

Guest BackInDaDay
I hope he also showed them Joe Burns, on the sideline after his penalty, laughing about it.  This sent me off the deep end at home.

57526[/snapback]

That's exactly the kind of conduct that this team doesn't have the luxury to engage in! :devil:

Although I think that suggestion has a great deal of merit, I think one thing it has going against it is that we had so many screw-ups that the corresponding litany of excuses would take too long even given the extra time allocated to film study yesterday.

Seriously, as a casual observer, I could come up w/ at least 20 (penalties, blown assignments). On top of that you'd have to include ever knows how many other things that aren't apparent to us and since some of them might involve miscommunication between players, substantial dialog might be involved..

Actually, let me reiterate that I think that it's a GREAT IDEA. Unfortunately, I doubt its feasibilty.

into the media room at OBD to watch yesterday's game.  Every time he detects a player screwing up... stop the tape and replay that play pointing out the mistake made.  Then ask that player to explain to his teammates why he made the mistake.  Embarassed players won't like it, to be sure, but each must be held responsible for his preparation during the work week and his execution on gameday! 

This team is an undisciplined, dysfunctional family.  It has been so for over a year.  It will remain so until they're shown that they are at least accountable to one another for their actions.  MM must pull them together now, before they drift further apart.  Circle the wagons, coach, and take control of this team!  :devil:

55606[/snapback]

yeah man, if you read the articles on the front page of TBD you'd know he did that exactly.

Guest BackInDaDay
yeah man, if you read the articles on the front page of TBD you'd know he did that exactly.

57552[/snapback]

That's my point about MM. I posted my opinion yesterday morning, hoping that the coach would call these guys out, and then I saw that headline letting me know he did just that. I take that as a big positive. No BS quotes about 'self-scouting', just get the guys in a room and explain to each other why they didn't get their jobs done.

I say its about time they start fining these players when they take stupid penalties. I dont care if its kicking the ball or whatever. They have some nice fat paychecks and maybe if they get some taken away,they will stop making them.

Unfortunately the paychecks are sp big these days {even the minimum is more money than most of these guys have ever seen before and even the stupid one who have no sense of how much it takes to be set for life feel incredibly rich} that it is questionable how good fines are as a tool for adjusting attitudes or even getting a players attention

I think showing the mistakes to the whole crew in extra meeting time and setting it up so that the players will discipline the<selves and each other is a good start> The disciplined play problems are so long term and widespread it will take a lot of other things but its a start

The best thing I"ve heard from the the bills regarding discipline and message actually happened when Milloy joined the team last year and the players laughed in a film session when one of the blockers got bowled over Milloy called them all on their reaction and said one that a champions reaction to the film should have been anger rather than amusement that one oftheir own got beat and that they should have demanded but given support to that olayer to get better rather than laughing about it like it was funny

Posters have called for more discipline on this team which is correct but have mentioned parcells and coughlin as examples of how an hc bring this without the realization that they are both disciplinarians but take very different approaches I think the proof is in the pudding that the Parcells approach is the better method and that the Coughlin my way or the highway approach has short term success but is a prime reason why that team went south and he got canned

Parcells recognizes that you can only discipline the spolied brats in the nfl (particularly within the context of the growing partnership btw the NFL and NFLPA) with the permission of the players

Parcells seems to recognize that the best weapon you can have with the players is for them to be fiercely loyal to you because they know you will be fiercely loyal to them as long as you work hard for your teammates Once he gets the players permission and respect (something more easily achieved by him given his success) then they discipline each other and he only needs to play a heavy hand in special cases and it needs to be seen by the players as retribuion against a player not for breaking some arbitray ule (like Coughlins anti sunglasses edict) but for letting down their teammates Parcells has the ability to point out players individual failings but does so using his great sense of humor and his sharp comments are clothed in humor that makes it attack on the play failings and not on the player

I"m happy to see mm take the step of using a heavy hand to deal with our huge discipline issues but I hope he looks for and finds an opportunity to simply cut some player who does something which can be categorized as letting down his teammates in addition to his poor play It will work best if it is actually a player in a position of responsibility whom he feels we have an adequate backup for them This seemed to be the case with him firing Q Carter for letting down his teammates with his drug usage and Parcells sense that Vinny could do an acceptable job

If the MM technique is

A Put the players in a posiion to discipline each other through his film showing episode

B Encourage the few Bills with winning SB experience {Milloy Bledsoe whomever} and respect {Vincent whomever} to lead this team and do internal discipline

C Take the first opportunity he can find to fire somebody for letting down his teammates with off field excesses that without saying it are tied to onfield discipline mistakes I think he can get this done

Im not saying this is what is right but from what Ive seen of the modern NFL this is what works

I say its about time they start fining these players when they take stupid penalties. I dont care if its kicking the ball or whatever. They have some nice fat paychecks and maybe if they get some taken away,they will stop making them.

58683[/snapback]