Achilles Tendon Rupture / Surgery

crusoe

The AP article on on TKO today said that he "maintains a scrap book that contains before and after pictures of his surgically repaired Achilles." That tidbit gives a bit of insight into how significant the surgery was to him.

If any of you want to get more of a medical perspective on this and his return, I invite you to take a look at this link:

http://www.southfloridasportsmedicine.com/education_pa_25.asp

And then if you want to see surgical photos of a ruptured achilles repair (warning -- a bit grusome if you're weak stomached)

http://www.southfloridasportsmedicine.com/cpics_2.asp

On Sunday, I'm looking forward to seeing TKO in action, but I am concerned that he may not be back to his former speed / acceleration. I could be wrong, but it seems that Jauron and the rest of western NY believe he's back to his old form. I'm far from convinced we saw enough of him in preseason (13 plays?) to say he's back to his former self just yet. Although skeptical, I'm hopeful, keeping my fingers crossed. We definitely need his help to turn this D around.

GO BILLS

The AP article on on TKO today said that he "maintains a scrap book that contains before and after pictures of his surgically repaired Achilles."  That tidbit gives a bit of insight into how significant the surgery was to him.

If any of you want to get more of a medical perspective on this and his return, I invite you to take a look at this link:

http://www.southfloridasportsmedicine.com/education_pa_25.asp

And then if you want to see surgical photos of a ruptured achilles repair (warning -- a bit grusome if you're weak stomached)

http://www.southfloridasportsmedicine.com/cpics_2.asp

On Sunday, I'm looking forward to seeing TKO in action, but I am concerned that he may not be back to his former speed / acceleration.  I could be wrong, but it seems that Jauron and the rest of western NY believe he's back to his old form. I'm far from convinced we saw enough of him in preseason (13 plays?) to say he's back to his former self just yet. Although skeptical, I'm hopeful, keeping my fingers crossed.  We definitely need his help to turn this D around.

GO BILLS

765647[/snapback]

would be pretty amazing if he was back to even 90% That is a serious injury especially for someone who runs like that

would be pretty amazing if he was back to even 90% That is a serious injury especially for someone who runs like that

765651[/snapback]

I guess the question then would be -- how does TKO, at 80-90% of his former self stack up against other healthy players, at his position?? Is he still a dominant / force on the field? Is he still even average or above average? Or worse?

I guess the question then would be -- how does TKO, at 80-90% of his former self stack up against other healthy players, at his position?? Is he still a dominant / force on the field?  Is he still even average or above average? Or worse?

765653[/snapback]

I would just throw out the fact that he doesn't play the middle and so he might just dominate on his side of the field and not make as many plays going the other way. Just a guess

It seems to me that these surgeries are getting better and better as time goes on. Palmer, Culpepper and Harrison all have seemingly come back from multi-CL tears in less than a year. I'd expect the same from Spikes.

765697[/snapback]

that's different. the CL's are in the knee. the achilles is on the back of the foot and is generally considered to be among the most painful sport injuries. When you tear you Achilles' the tendon coils up at your calf and the doctor has to find it. pull it down to ankle again and reattach it. The healing time for any achilles injury is much longer than any other tendon injury, even regualr tendonitis included (which i had once and it took 4 months to heal).

The achilles tendon connects muscle to bone. It's an "active" attachment in the sense that it is always under some stress from calf muscle. The anterior cruciate ligament (which is the one usually blown out in knee injuries) connects bone to bone. It is "passive" in the sense that it is only under stress when the knee joint moves a certain way (the ACL prevents the lower leg from being pulled in front of the upper leg).

Everyone heals differently, but I think an achilles injury is more difficult to recover from simply because with every step, that repaired tendon is under stress.

RTB

Great information!

I am recovering from the surgery, 8/4/06, and it's nice to see what I slept through.

I had a "complex tear", not a rupture so that should shorten my recovery time. I'm wearing a "boot" that started out with 4 rubber wedges under the heel. They remove 1 wedge at a time that eventually lowers your heel down to its normal flat position. After 5 weeks, I've got 2 wedges to go. Not the most fun I ever had, but it was so painful before the surgery that I don't know what I would have done without that option.

No doubt TKO has been through a lot so I hope he is fully recovered.