No Matter What The Record Is This Year

All I can say is that it is good to have the Buffalo Bills back in the center of my heart again. I was really worried after seeing that passion-less organization last year. Whether they win or lose the majority of their games this year, they are going to keep things close and have that quick strike offense that has been missing for so long.

Did anyone else get excited when Royal caught that pass and started running with it!!?? Finally, A TIGHT END WITH HANDS THAT CAN MOVE THE CHAINS!!!!

Bring on the season kids, there are some good times ahead.

JP Losman

67.7% completions

8.3 yds/att

He's started 8 games in his career.

Those are franchise QB numbers he's putting up.

Good times are definitely ahead if he puts up anything close to that and just to see the "experts" backtrack on him will be priceless.

As far as the tight end being involved in the passing game, I'm intrigued by the skills of both Royal and Everett, but I'll wait until I see one of them catch something besides a pass in the flat before I say the tight end will be more involved in the passing game. I hope so, but given Fairchilds recent history in St. Louis, plus the fact all of the passes to the tight ends this preseason were basically dump offs or designed screens, we'll see. I'd like to see a tight end catch a pass right down the seam for about 15 yards.

Not to burst your bubbles, but lot's of QB's have good preseasons.  It doesn't count. 

BTW, take a look at this.  JP is only the 40th best QB in preseason. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/QB-PASSING/2006/pre

759106[/snapback]

:doh:

Where there is a glimmer of hope among the people, VABills is right there to stomp it into oblivion

I know that, and I do get your point.

But it's night and day compared to last preseason.

He LOOKS like he knows what he's doing, the numbers SHOW he knows what he's doing, and the fact he doesn't try to take off at the first sign of trouble like games past offers encouragement that he's getting better... I tend to believe it.

But it means crap right now. I get your point.

:doh:

Where there is a glimmer of hope among the people, VABills is right there to stomp it into oblivion

759108[/snapback]

Not stomping, just presenting information. I believe JP has proven that he can throw a long ball. But too be honest I sill have not seen him complete intermediate nor short routes, and really go through progression on the reads. That to me, in real game speed (non-preseason) will show me that he has progressed. Until then he only was 40th best QB in preseason and had a couple of nice plays the last two weeks. Which to be honest is a lot more then he has shown the previous 2 years and first 2 preseason games.

How do you judge him going through his progression of reads?

Seriously, not trying to be a smart ass, but do you watch his head and how he looks off defenders?

If you can, go back and watch that long TD to Evans. He's not staring down his receivers at all. I'd say he's going through his reads quite well, but then I don't know who the primary receiver is on every pass play. I just know he's looking off defenders and completing 68% of his passes.

How do you judge him going through his progression of reads?

Seriously, not trying to be a smart ass, but do you watch his head and how he looks off defenders?

If you can, go back and watch that long TD to Evans. He's not staring down his receivers at all. I'd say he's going through his reads quite well, but then I don't know who the primary receiver is on every pass play. I just know he's looking off defenders and completing 68% of his passes.

759113[/snapback]

Not sure on the evans TD, but the INT he locked on big time. That was an easy pick for the CB regardless of what was said.

On the Price TD last week, he did a real good job of scanning and looking up to the last moment. That's what I look for.

On other plays I look for him to "sense" a receiver, TE, RB, after scanning downfield.

I really don't know how to see it, you just do.

Well Bledsoe was here it was easy, because he used the pats as his mark to progress. That was taught to him in NE, and he retained that to make him progress through his reads. Losman, I haven't found what his trigger is for progressing, some can do it internally, others need the trigger.

I agree I saw that on the INT too.

The one where Reed was indecisive in his route.

Losman stared him down big time and the corner jumped it.

But that's the only time I recall it all preseason.

It's encouraging to say the very least.

I agree I saw that on the INT too.

The one where Reed was indecisive in his route.

Losman stared him down big time and the corner jumped it.

But that's the only time I recall it all preseason.

It's encouraging to say the very least.

759117[/snapback]

Actually that makes two then. That's not good.

Also, I haven't seen the game from last night, but someone mentioned that he locked on with his first pass and if the LB had held on it would have been 6 detroit but instead price got it for 8 yards.

Not stomping, just presenting information.  I believe JP has proven that he can throw a long ball.  But too be honest I sill have not seen him complete intermediate nor short routes, and really go through progression on the reads.  That to me, in real game speed (non-preseason) will show me that he has progressed.  Until then he only was 40th best QB in preseason and had a couple of nice plays the last two weeks.  Which to be honest is a lot more then he has shown the previous 2 years and first 2 preseason games.

759110[/snapback]

I know, just busting your nuts....I agree that preseason doesn't mean a helluva lot, but I'd still rather see signs of growth than of something else. He's still very green and needs more time, but you gotta like 1) the fact that he's hitting the deep ball pretty consistently, and 2) he seems to be able to hit a variety of receivers. I'm sure he's nowhere near as adept at going through his progressions as he will be by the midway point in the season, but the kid is raising his game.

Look, the guy loves Buffalo....he's basically adopted it as his home, is getting settled in, and working hard on his game. He deserves a lot of credit for that, IMO. He's going to struggle, no doubt, but you gotta love the upside that's there....he's really starting to show some glimpses of that.

I'll have to go back and look at that one. I just remember thinking it was a bad pass.

68%

"That's not good."

Even if the 8-game experienced QB did stare down a couple, you've got to be kidding.

759120[/snapback]

Again it's preseason.

Hell Cutler had 4 TD's to JP's 2. He only had 1 sack whereas JP had 9. Cutler threw one 1 int, JP threw 2.

Again, it's preseason don't read too much into it, good or bad.

Oh yeah, Cutler went to a small school also, and has NO NFL EXPERIENCE.

Not to burst your bubbles, but lot's of QB's have good preseasons.  It doesn't count. 

BTW, take a look at this.  JP is only the 40th best QB in preseason. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/QB-PASSING/2006/pre

759106[/snapback]

Not to burst your bubble, but please notice the attempts for some of those QBs: Dilfer 8, Palmer & Feeley 14, Berlin 12, Shaun Hill 9, Hamdan 2. :blush: If you actually want to get a better idea of the whole picture, sort the stats by attempts. Of the top 10, Romo, Cassel, Lemon, Gradkowski, and Culter had better ratings than JP. Except for one start for Romo & Cassel, these guy played against 2nd & 3rd stringers. JP played against all first stringers except for the Carolina game. Thus, JP looks a lot better than the 40th best QB in preseason.

So before you just want to be negative for no good reason, please understand what you're looking at. :doh:

Not to burst your bubble, but please notice the attempts for some of those QBs:  Dilfer 8, Palmer & Feeley 14, Berlin 12, Shaun Hill 9, Hamdan 2.  :D   If you actually want to get a better idea of the whole picture, sort the stats by attempts.  Of the top 10, Romo, Cassel, Lemon, Gradkowski, and Culter had better ratings than JP.  Except for one start for Romo & Cassel, these guy played against 2nd & 3rd stringers.  JP played against all first stringers except for the Carolina game.  Thus, JP looks a lot better than the 40th best QB in preseason.

So before you just want to be negative for no good reason, please understand what you're looking at.  :doh:

759134[/snapback]

Players can't decide who they play against. All lthey can do is perform against who is out there.

Also, JP played against 2nd stringers in Car and Det. Sorry to burst your bubble. :blush:

And to add on, Cassel, Wright, Brady, and Wright all got time playing against 1st stringer, and all had more APG and better numbers overall.

DAMMIT....I'm starting to feel my bubble bursting now too....bubble bursting bastards!

759137[/snapback]

We can burst it more. Jp even with all his scrambling abaility and only playing against two 1st string defenses took the most sacks. He also threw the second most ints in preseason. :doh:

We can burst it more.  Jp even with all his scrambling abaility and only playing against two 1st string defenses took the most sacks.  He also threw the second most ints in preseason.  :doh:

759142[/snapback]

:D:o

At least he doesn't have a venerial disease yet, right? :blush:

Just looking at Qb rating is not a great way to measure QB's for several reasons, most notably the fact that TD passes are represented in the formula. If Losman passes it all the way down the field (hypothetically) and McGahee runs it in, why should his QB rating be any less? Qb rating is especially useless over just a few games data. All it tells is if a guy has a 90 rating he's played pretty well, and if a guy has a 60 rating he sucks.

Yds per attempt seems to be the about the most accurate measure of a QB (with a peripheral eye on INT percentage.)

The great ones do well in this statistic, Kelly was over 8 in his great seasons, and this is why I'm getting more and more sold on Losman.

The fact that he's throwing it down field and accurately shows poise, confidence and improvement. You can see these things - they are obvious - if you watch him. If he had completed 68% of his passes at 5.8 yds/att with a 95 Qb rating, I'd be a lot less encouraged.

Losman had a better preseason than most of those QB's you mentioned, including Brady.