Yet another, 'Rate My Team'

Gavin in Va Beach

Here's the team I drafted for my $$ league, and what round. This is a newly formed league, 10 teams, no keepers (yet), and snake draft. I had the #5 pick.

Our starting line-ups are: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DL, LB, DB, DEF.

Rd

1- C. Portis RB

2- L. Jordan RB

3- T. Holt WR

4- R. Wayne WR

5- K. Warner QB

6- L. Evans WR

7- J. Witten TE

8- F. Taylor RB

9- J. Jurevicius WR

10- D. Culpeper QB

11- D. McCallister RB

12- F. Gore RB

13- E. Moulds WR

14- M. Vanderjact K

15- Cincinnati Defense

16- Z. Hilton TE

17- A. Toomer WR

18- L. White RB

19- J. Wilkins K

20- N. Clements DB

21- J. Smith DL

22- J. Peterson LB

Here's the team I drafted for my $$ league, and what round. This is a newly formed league, 10 teams, no keepers (yet), and snake draft. I had the #5 pick.

Our starting line-ups are: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DL, LB, DB, DEF.

Rd

1- C. Portis RB

2- L. Jordan RB

3- T. Holt WR

4- R. Wayne WR

5- K. Warner QB

6- L. Evans WR

7- J. Witten TE

8- F. Taylor RB

9- J. Jurevicius WR

10- D. Culpeper QB

11- D. McCallister RB

12- F. Gore RB

13- E. Moulds WR

14- M. Vanderjact K

15- Cincinnati Defense

16- Z. Hilton TE

17- A. Toomer WR

18- L. White RB

19- J. Wilkins K

20- N. Clements DB

21- J. Smith DL

22- J. Peterson LB

757454[/snapback]

I'd bet you could get a Witten TE a bit later then that, but overall great draft.

Lamont Jordan is WAY underrated, I think he's gonna have a better season then Portis this year, and will be a top 5-7 RB fantasy wise.

IDP draft throws me off some.

Thoughts

1) Too many question mark guys. Guys who could be good if healthy or productive, but just as easily could be unhealthy or unproductive. (I.e. Portis, Warner, Taylor, Deuce, Gore, L. White, etc.). Makes for a high probabilty of Boom or Bust season.

2) Dont think you took Witten too early, but I do think you reached on Warner. Especially since you grabbed Cullpepper 5 rounds later and he will likely be your starter.

3) Always hate to see 2 kickers taken. You will wind up dropping one after the bye week of your starting kicker anyway...so you are only looking at one week out of your backup. Even the worst kicker in the league should be an adaquate fill-in for that one week. Minor flaw though.

4) You waited a long time to get your IDPs....might be the scoring system. I dont know. No real comment here, except it seems odd.

All in all, I think you have a decent team. If your questionable guys turn out healthy and productive, I think you will wind up in the top 3. My prediction: 4th out of 10.

#5 spot sucks, huh. Did you want to throw up when you picked Portis? Not criticizing just genuinely curious...I'm in the #5 slot in a 14 team league draft tomorrow and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to take somebody else even though I don't feel particularly good about it. Jordan I think is the only other consideration as I will not under any circumstances, take Barber. Anyway, your Jordan and Holt picks were steals.

You should be able to get a pretty decent starting lineup out of that lineup every week...amazing is that Culpepper fell so far down...similar to what happend in my draft earlier today..

One question for everyone though...why is everyone so high on Lamont Jordan? I see he is ranked pretty high (considering what a stiff he was last year) in a lot of the publications as well...did I miss something? I picked him two years in a row, and he just never seemed to get the job done...

One question for everyone though...why is everyone so high on Lamont Jordan?  I see he is ranked pretty high (considering what a stiff he was last year) in a lot of the publications as well...did I miss something?  I picked him two years in a row, and he just never seemed to get the job done...

761105[/snapback]

because my league's rules are retarded. In a normal yardage league, I probably wouldn't rank him ahead of Brown, Rudi, or Jackson.

#5 spot sucks, huh.  Did you want to throw up when you picked Portis?  Not criticizing just genuinely curious...I'm in the #5 slot in a 14 team league draft tomorrow and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to take somebody else even though I don't feel particularly good about it.  Jordan I think is the only other consideration as I will not under any circumstances, take Barber.  Anyway, your Jordan and Holt picks were steals.

760977[/snapback]

Yeah it was a very tough call picking up Portis and I had to really talk myself into it. Thankfully there were enough mullets picking QB's and WR's in the 1st and 2nd rounds so that Jordan fell to me. Funny thing is I could see McAllister and Gore stepping up and becoming starters and I drafted them fairly late. 10 minutes after I picked Gore the TV flashed news that Barlow had been traded so I was a very happy man. If he had been traded the day before Gore would have shot up in everyone's list. Not to mention that the next Jacksonville preseason game was when Greg Jones got injured, which will hopefully allow Fred Taylor a chance to return to form. I'm pretty happy with my RB's. But it's usually WR's that end up killing me...

I'm not gonna start another thread, so here's two drafts. These two were auto-drafts, I have a third this week that I'll actually be able to attend.

Here you go, Team A auto-drafted after much work setting up a pre-rank. Was picking second in a 12-team league. The bench was filled out with an extra kicker and a different TE (Stevens) by the auto-draft, so I dumped the kicker to pick up Losman (gotta represent :w00t: ), and grabbed Daniels for the Pitt bye-week (early bye, at which point I’ll send him packing for a bye-week K or other positional depth). Pitt has an early bye, so that gives me flexibility to either cut Dallas DEF loose, or use them for match-ups (that’s probably what I’ll do).

QB J. Delhomme

QB J. Plummer

WR T. Holt

WR A. Boldin

WR T. Houshmandzadeh

RB L. Johnson

RB K. Jones

TE H. Miller

K J. Wilkins

DEF Pittsburgh

-------------------

DEF Dallas

RB F. Gore

WR E. Wilford

QB J. Losman

TE O. Daniels

Pros: Love the WR group and LJ, decent TE, solid DEF options. Also got a token Bill :w00t: . Excellent bye-week coverage, no roster holes.

Cons: Not overly psyched with KJ and may end up starting Gore.

Team B, same deal, schedule forced me to auto-draft with a lot of pre-draft work. Fourteen team league, drafted tenth. Very deep WR league (four starters) with IDPs. Four position bench makes it kind of tough, but there’s usually a glut of good FA-IDPs to help you out on bye weeks.

Off and DEF team starters:

QB Mi. Vick

WR Sa. Moss

WR T. Houshmandzadeh

WR E. Wilford

WR A. Bryant

RB E. James

RB W. McGahee

TE H. Miller

K M. Stover

DEF Jacksonville

---------------------

QB K. Collins

RB S. Gado

WR E. Parker

DEF Minnesota

IDP starters:

D Do. Edwards

D J. Vilma

DB A. Wilson

DB C. Tillman

DB B. Dawkins

DL L. Fletcher-Baker

DL A. Thomas

Pros: Serviceable group of WRs for a 14-team league starting four each week (if I say it enough times it'll come true). Not a bad set of RBs considering where I was picking (James with tenth, Willis with second pick). My IDPs are stellar. I like Gado on my bench for when A. Green goes down by week two :w00t: .

Cons: Vick pick is ho-hum, but he can’t do worse than last year. Not thrilled with Collins on bench, but there’s fug-all for FA QBs left (until injuries hit the starters). Jax and Vikes have same bye week, so I’ll need to figure something out there.

The question marks are Ron Mexico and Moss (can he come close to last year's numbers?).

---------

I'm picking fifth in my third league, but I'm almost certain the guy with the fourth pick is going with Manning, so I won't have the "Portis dilemma" affecting everybody else.

Nice drafts Johnny. I might reccomend not attending the 3rd one!

Only problem, (and its not your fault) in the 2nd draft you posted. Whats the deal with so many starters and only 4 bench players? Really cramps your roster down good. Again dont know about IDP leagues, but both those rosters look killer. Well done.

Nice drafts Johnny.  I might reccomend not attending the 3rd one!

761453[/snapback]

:w00t:

The thought has crossed my mind. My third league is the big-money league. Live, in-person draft. That's a 16-team league, so I'll just adjust my draft board accordingly.

I actually like the auto-draft because it forces you to do a significant amount of homework ahead of time establishing tiers and setting values based on league scoring. The beauty is that some of the people making live picks will panic and start runs on over-valued positions that allow studs to fall into your hands. For the 14-team, four WR starter league I put a huge emphasis on WRs in my pre-ranking...that's 56 starting WRs every week so getting at least three mid-to-top-tier WRs is essential. I was pleasently surprised to end up with two top-twelve RBs and still get a good group of WRs.

For IDPs you have to know how much the best players at their respective positions are pointwise in relation to the offensive positions. In the above league, the top-rated DLs will get you the same amount of points as an average third receiver and there are a ton of them, so you can hold off until you get at least a WR3. In my case, the way I structured my board to let me go RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-QB-TE-WR3-WR4-DEF then loaded up on IDPs starting with tiers of DLs and DBs. Getting that fourth starting WR and still ending up with a solid group of IDPs worked out great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.