Awful Backfield Blocking, #1 O Liability

AKC

I did a run through to the end of the 3rd (and I was actually keying on TE play) and then went back to review mostly the first half. I didn't pick Rickard up in the offense, but it didn't mean I wasn't hoping to see somone else after rewatching the first 3 series- focused on Shelton- to verify what I thought I saw the first run-through. Unfortunately it was even worse than I first thought.

756627[/snapback]

So what do you think about running a two-TE/single-back set as the base offense? If we're not getting decent blocking out of the FB slot, may as well bring in someone who might be able to catch the ball consistently and move a little quicker than the 260-lb Shelton...

And judging by the amount of work the TEs have been getting in camp/preseason, I'm wondering if that's where they're going. If I get a chance, think I'll go back and check the # of plays from each formation.

I knew when I read the title of the string that this was going to be another bash Willis string.

756740[/snapback]

With "Awful Backfield Blocking" being your clue? Many who didn't even watch a game and yet stepped right up to offer blowhard commentary would have missed that!

So what do you think about running a two-TE/single-back set as the base offense? If we're not getting decent blocking out of the FB slot, may as well bring in someone who might be able to catch the ball consistently and move a little quicker than the 260-lb Shelton...

And judging by the amount of work the TEs have been getting in camp/preseason, I'm wondering if that's where they're going. If I get a chance, think I'll go back and check the # of plays from each formation.

756756[/snapback]

There was plenty of the 2 TE set and it was effective on mutliple occasions. The one thing that hurts is that Royal really isn't a "get the ball" kind of TE and he was effectively covered with a CB, and it didn't even look like a big CB. He doesn't look to have very good ball control skills either. Everett looked way more fluid as a receiver.

We ran from that set I think 3 times outside, and one of them was a good gainer. There will be easier teams to run around than Cleveland's OLBs and we'll probably be very pleased if we see the set in favor of the 2 back.

We ran from that set I think 3 times outside, and one of them was a good gainer. There will be easier teams to run around than Cleveland's OLBs and we'll probably be very pleased if we see the set in favor of the 2 back.

756911[/snapback]

I wish we had a chance to see Ricard healthy - he definitely has better hands than Shelton. His injury surely made the "competition" a moot process.

I also wonder if something happened to Shelton over the last year or maybe it's just age catching up to a physical position - I thought he was very capable his first year on the team but his performance this preseason has been atrocious.

While it was tough to watch Royal really getting worked by McGinnest and their 1st round pick Wimbley a few plays, he is sticking his head in there and has more upside than Mark Campbell offered.

I think Campbell was a solid blocker in the rungame, at least better than what we've seen from Royal so far. His problem was that he was atrocious in passpro and couldn't get any seperation downfield. I hope Royal shows improvement because at this point he's a liability to our ground attack and Everett isn't any better.

Lionel Gates move up the depth chart appears to improve our RB depth, although it’s always wise to exercise some caution predicting running back contributions based on their productivity in the Pre-season. Thomas at #3 rounds out a versatile group.

Unfortunately, one of our biggest Achilles heels of the past few seasons still remains a major handicap. This team continues to stink in pass blocking by our backfield.

No mention of the most willing blocking HB on the team? Shaud Williams may not be a manbeast but he's been game and effective as a blocking back, which is just one of the ways he's superior to the two backs ahead of him on the depth chart.

Shelton continues to be the same guy who occasionally makes a standup and impactive block in the run game while on many downs simply glancing off assignments and missing hitting his target squarely.

Man, what ahppened to the leadblocking we saw from him after he'd shaken off the rust about a month into his comeback. His game seems to be steadily regressing.

On STs, it seems like one event likely to happen sooner rather than later is for RParrish to end up in the EZ on a Punt Return; that is if the team keeps from getting him killed returning kicks. There is clearly too high a risk factor to have a KR as small as he is taking on guys with a 50 yard full head of steam.

I said the exact same thing out loud when I saw him get stung on that one KR.

Reyes is game- although he isn't the most "stylish" runner, he still works to keep himself in plays. Maybe I'm just surprised to see any "hustle" from that spot ;-)

Hey, I said that out loud too.

Thanks for the great post, mac.

Cya