Timing of starter announcement

Anyone else notice the timing of the announcement that JP will be the starter? After reading some of Lee & Willis' statements in the press over the last few days, along withs some other starters it seemed like they thought that JP was clearly the guy. It appears that Jauron was waiting until Losman had the clear and public support of the key players on at least the offense to make it official. If so that is a great idea to alleviate some of the animosity that was seen in last years locker room that was the result of JP not earning it. Good psychology. Very shrewd. I am really starting to like Jauron.

755762[/snapback]

I agree also, Jauron does pay attention to the psychology of certain things. I'm certain that he felt that JP would earn the starting job all along. He knew that he would get more out of his player by not just giving the position to him however. I like his approach and I do not think that he allows the media/public opinion to make his decisions for him as others have responded to this thread.

I dunno...shower habits seem to be your theory :lol:  :lol:  I'm just goofing around. Anyway, you have yet to address the point. Is it a coincidence or not? Do you really think that the stated reason DJ gave:

"We all pretty much agreed on it," said Jauron of where he and his coaching staff stood. "We all felt pretty much the same it was fairly clear to see. We certainly started giving him more of the reps a number of weeks ago. We just wondered why there was any reason not to say it if we all thought it. We decided to just let everyone know and get him used to hearing it and getting the team used to hearing it."

is the reason that they suddenly made this decision on a Tuesday? Why not Monday? Why not last week? What are these guys a bunch of 8th grade girls? "We didn't want to tell you we liked you but we all thought it all along so psst - here's your note." "Now we have to hold hands so that everyone can see that we are going out and get used to it hearing it."  :lol:

Yeah that's what is. I'm wrong - it's not: "Now that all the press/player quotes from Sunday/Monday have had a chance to get out and cycled on the internet; announce the starter - it gives the press the time to play the CYA game(which might earn us some positive national press for once) and makes us look prudent and consistent at the same time". That's a conspiracy theory.  :devil:  Marv, DJ and the boys are really saying: "Nooooo, let's surprise 'em instead." "That's a good idea!" "Hey! Get Ralph out of the shower and let's do this thing!" :)

Look, we do the same thing with status reports/press releases in my job all the time. It's not scamming anybody. They wanted to kill this issue dead and they have so well that even the national guys are hiding/running. Go team Ivy league. Maybe it's just obvious to me because I'm used to it. Anyway faderphreak is correct. We have a smart coach/GM - now let's see if the smarts translate to wins.

GO BILLS!!!!

755974[/snapback]

My guess is that the choice has been pretty obvious for a longtime (even before camp started) that JP was gonna start the first game. This default could have been changed by on field performance by KH or Nall doing well or JP imploding.

However, given the injury to Nall essentially meaning that he needed a lights out performance in his first practice reps (difficult to do when the decision had already been made to give a bunch of snaps to JP) or against the Browns second team (possible given their quality but even this would likely have been too late) and KH falling apart, JP merely needed to show some good and some bad to get the job.

The decision of when to announce the obvious was really a minor one which neither makes nor breaks the team or even his development or acceptance as a QB.

I hope that the braintrust was not motivated by some sense of the timing of this announcement having some majoe or even significant impact on the fortunes of this team or an individual because I simply do not see how this factor is not overwhelmed by other items like real world performance.

There is a reason why I mentioned such trivia as hygiene habits being a more likely determinant of the announcement timin. I'm not saying that Ralph's shower schedule is important, my judgement is simply that the timing of this announcement is trivial.

By the way, the "tail wagging the dog" regime is over and a football coach is in town making decisions on who merits starting or who doesn't! As for the conspiracy theorists, Marv has the complete trust of Ralph and Dick surely has this bond with Marv, so where does this lead..... to poor posts that hold a guy from his appointed rounds! Sad, very sad!