QB Stats

Jukester

Losman:

22/35, 278 yds, 62.9%, 1 td, 1 int, 8 sacks, 85.2 rating

Nall:

5/9, 63 yds, 55.6%, 1 td, 0 int, 0 sacks, 114.6 rating

Holcomb:

5/9, 44 yds, 55.6%, 1 td, 1 int, 1 sack, 29.2 rating

Stats don't always tell the whole story but they give an objective indication of the big picture. How many of you would take J.P.'s numbers above for each game this season? I for one would. The sacks and fumbles are a little worrisome, but overall i'm very pleased with J.P.'s progress. He can only improve. Love the way Jauron has handled the whole thing.

Nall may have potential as a quality backup but too early to tell. Holcomb.....well, not much to say....he's what he is and is not going to get any better.

Holy hell that's a lot of sacks.  Once every five dropbacks, versus vanilla defenses likely not blitzing too often?  Yikes.  That's terrible.  But it's better than throwing picks, and the fumbles likely won't stick .

750028[/snapback]

Yeah, the sacks really jumped out at me also. That will definitely have to improve if our offense is going to be successful. Possibly a reflection of J.P. hanging in the pocket more this year instead of running at the first sign of trouble. He'll need to find a balance between the two.

I remember reading after the Carolina game that the Panthers were blitzing and twisting a lot more than the Bills expected, since they don't gameplan for pre-season (ESPECIALLY the 1st pre-season game) it doesn't surprise me that we took an inordinate number of sacks that week. Plus, Carolina's D-line is flat better than our O-Line. I thought this week was much better and only the sack that caused the first fumble was avoidable..he had time to throw it away but didn't.

The number that SHOULD pop at everyone is completion percentage. I'll take 62.9 all year long, especially since he's averaging more than 10 yards per completion. I also recall a number of balls that receivers dropped on JP, especially in week 1.

BTW, missing any throw to the outside of the field short is MUCH better than missing it long. It's safer. Arm strength isn't an issue so it's a matter of JP trying to put the ball into a place where the WR can get it but the DB can't and he missed. I'd rather have that than have him airmailing people and throwing the ball to the FS all day long, not too mention having our WRs strung out and killed routinely.

I remember reading after the Carolina game that the Panthers were blitzing and twisting a lot more than the Bills expected, since they don't gameplan for pre-season (ESPECIALLY the 1st pre-season game) it doesn't surprise me that we took an inordinate number of sacks that week.  Plus, Carolina's D-line is flat better than our O-Line.  I thought this week was much better and only the sack that caused the first fumble was avoidable..he had time to throw it away but didn't. 

The number that SHOULD pop at everyone is completion percentage.  I'll take 62.9 all year long, especially since he's averaging more than 10 yards per completion.  I also recall a number of balls that receivers dropped on JP, especially in week 1.

BTW, missing any throw to the outside of the field short is MUCH better than missing it long.  It's safer.  Arm strength isn't an issue so it's a matter of JP trying to put the ball into a place where the WR can get it but the DB can't and he missed.  I'd rather have that than have him airmailing people and throwing the ball to the FS all day long, not too mention having our WRs strung out and killed routinely.

750046[/snapback]

Ah crap you beat me to it. Yeah most teams come out in "vanilla" d without stunts and blitzes. Carolina did nothing "vanilla" out there. And, McGahee's run was partially made possible by Cincy doing the same thing - at least this time we made em pay for it :devil:

Great point about completion percentage - that's all we heard from the Holcombers for three months - so this must mean, according to their own logic - JP should start and is a great QB!

GO BILLS!!!!

Shades of Rob and Drew? Jeez, can't we find a QB who at least minored in "Throwing The Ball Away" in college? Sheesh. Or maybe another Flutie who will run around until the defense's tongues are hanging out.

Hey, I've got an idea, how about an offensive line that can actually keep the defense from pouring through? How long has it been since Hull retired? sigh.....

Dr. Fishfinder

Holy hell that's a lot of sacks.  Once every five dropbacks, versus vanilla defenses likely not blitzing too often?  Yikes.  That's terrible.  But it's better than throwing picks, and the fumbles likely won't stick .

750028[/snapback]

Stats from when?  The Bengals game?  Losman didn't really get sacked 8 times did he?

750165[/snapback]

I think he was sacked 5 times in the game against the Panthers....and then

there were the 2 sacks that resulted in fumbles against the bengals.

Oh, that's the total QB stats for both preseason games so far. Nall's stats are good. the decreased completion percentage, 62 to 55% matters less than the difference in sacks and Losman's interception. Nall would still be my #2 choice to QB the Bills. I like what Losman brings to the team and I'm hopeful that as he matures and makes better decisions, the sack numbers will drop. Holcomb has third place nailed down.