Is it just me or am I the only one who thinks...

I kind of like him, but maybe my standards are low. Gus Johnson appeared to make a lot more mistakes than Tasker the last 2 games.

Someone seems to like him, as he has moved up the announcing ranks at CBS.

I certainly think there are far worse color guys, like Randy Cross for example.

As much as I love seeing ex-bills become announcers, I think Tasker is a horrible announcer, he is ALWAYS getting #'s and players names wrongs, he fumbles with words, sometimes can't even make a coherent sentance, and at times has no idea what he is talking about? It drives me crazy to listen to him sometimes, he was a great player... but announcer.... I think not...

747867[/snapback]

Sure you weren't listening to NBC? Sounds like you are describing Madden to a T.

BTW--I do think Tasker does a decent job.

I wonder if maybe we are a little tougher on the former Bills as announcers than we would be otherwise. We want them to do well and we want them to be nice to the team. When they aren't, we might be a little harsh.

I hated watching Kelly on Countdown. Not b/c I actually thought he was the worst, but b/c I was always nervous about how well he would do and I always hated when he messed up. But maybe that's me.

I wonder if maybe we are a little tougher on the former Bills as announcers than we would be otherwise. We want them to do well and we want them to be nice to the team. When they aren't, we might be a little harsh.

748221[/snapback]

Could be. We get Tasker now and again here in Cincy. His insights are useful. Who cares if a number or name is spoken in error now and then? He's certainly not the only one to misspeak about a penalty call.

Announcers and color men are watching the live action, not gluing their eyes to a monitor...

Tasker does make a lot of mistakes, no doubt about it. Something to consider is that the preseason games do not have the production budget that a nationally or regionally televised regular season game would have. That means there are no field spotters in the ear of the announcers telling them that Gates is now in for A-Train, or that there appears to be a holding call. I would imagine the whole operation, from the producer down to the guys in the van, are at a minor league level compared to a CBS broadcast in October. That could explain some of Tasker's fumbles.

Still, Tasker seems to make some mistakes that are blatently obvious...The Geisenger example was one where he must've glanced quickly at the roster (the Bills do have two #73's- Geisenger and DE Joshua Cooper) but even the common fan knows that Geisenger plays offense, and the defense was on the field at the time. Seems like something Tasker should know, but was also a situation where a spotter would have been in his ear.

Overall, my take is 'whatever.' It's the preseason for everybody. I just enjoy watching games and I don't get too worked up over any of the announcers (except the old ESPN Sunday night crew and their Patrio-fellatio.)

gotta love tasker, but there should be NO DOUBT that announcing is not his forte. If I had a nickel for every name he gets wrong, I'd have $50.65. His commentary is flat and choppy, his delivery is awkward, and it's time for the powers that be to realize that you can't just gift positions away on account of local celebrity.

Stevie baby...listen to yourself and try a new day job.

If I'm not mistaken, Tasker does color during the regular season.  Big difference between color and play by play.  He's pretty good at color, not so good at play by play.

748567[/snapback]

He's doing color for the preseason games as well--Gus Johnson is doing the play-by-play now. Last season, Tasker did play-by-play and Levy did color IIRC.

You really got a sense for how bad Tasker and his co-hort are after watching the NFL Network switch announcers in the second half. Not sure who the Cincy guys were, but they not only knew all the players at all depths for the Bengals, but quickly spewed out a lot of details about some of our players as well. They were night and day over our guys...except for the one guy saying "Absotively" all the time. He really needs to knock that off.

I completely agree OC, we need a Wegman's down here really, really bad.  Giant Eagle Blows.  Plus, He recently caused a 3 car pile up at the tunnels around here.  But, since he's Myron Cope, he got off scott free. No fine, they just let him go.

748462[/snapback]

Thanks for reminding me of those fuggin tunnels. :devil: I just had fit of rage - "Count down slowly from 10, 9, 8..." That cope caused an accident in one and nothing came of it makes me laugh - see? all better. 0:)

You really got a sense for how bad Tasker and his co-hort are after watching the NFL Network switch announcers in the second half. Not sure who the Cincy guys were, but they not only knew all the players at all depths for the Bengals, but quickly spewed out a lot of details about some of our players as well. They were night and day over our guys...except for the one guy saying "Absotively" all the time. He really needs to knock that off.

750026[/snapback]

Not sure who you got, but it may well have been the game-day B'gals radio announcer, Paul Keel, who does the away pre-season games for the local CBS affiliate.

That makes a difference, of course - a fellow well-versed in his team and the opponents', as is required for a radio broadcaster. Theoretically, at least... :devil:

The other was Anthony Munoz, who lives in the area and among other things gives training camp pep talks and the odd color commentary.