J.P. in the colapsing pocket

bluenews

save the Ron Mexico and herpes replys for the regular season.

J.P Losman had no rushing attempts and 0 yards rushing. I think J.P. need to run the ball a few times a game to keep the defense off their toes and on their heels.

Understanding it is the preseason (no injuries), but just watching him struggle in the pocket at the end of the half is difficult. He has great speed and can run with the ball. I'd like to see him tuck and run, rather than crunched and fumble.

J.P Losman had no rushing attempts and 0 yards rushing.  I think J.P.  need to run the ball a few times a game to keep the defense off their toes and on their heels. 

Understanding it is the preseason (no injuries), but just watching him struggle in the pocket at the end of the half is difficult.  He has great speed and can run with the ball.  I'd like to see him tuck and run, rather than crunched and fumble.

747283[/snapback]

My opinion is that he is coached to do that. They don't want him taking off so quick. And it makes sense to do that. Last year he was too quick to take off. We know he can do that. He needs to learn how to stay in the pocket, and he needs to learn how long is too long. Then and only then will he be able to do both and hopefully most of the time make the right decision. This is the time you do that. Regardless of staying or running, he can't cough up the ball like he did last night.

Both of the sack/fumbles he should have,  and would have last season,  took off from the pocket.

Don't know if he's coached to hang in there.

If it is coached,  why would you take away a QB's strength?

747346[/snapback]

Because if he is hurt and on the bench, Holcomb goes in. <_<

Both of the sack/fumbles he should have,  and would have last season,  took off from the pocket.

Don't know if he's coached to hang in there.

If it is coached,  why would you take away a QB's strength?

747346[/snapback]

Because it's pre-season? I think he will run a little more in the regular season. It's one of the more difficult things to learn, especially for a guy with wheels. But you don't want to be a Ron Mexico, you want to be a Steve Young, who seemed to know when to run and when to stay in there and try to make a pass play. I don't think it does Losman much good to take off at the first sign of trouble. It should be at least one more read.

Because it's pre-season? I think he will run a little more in the regular season. It's one of the more difficult things to learn, especially for a guy with wheels. But you don't want to be a Ron Mexico, you want to be a Steve Young, who seemed to know when to run and when to stay in there and try to make a pass play. I don't think it does Losman much good to take off at the first sign of trouble. It should be at least one more read.

747354[/snapback]

Totally agree friend.

J.P Losman had no rushing attempts and 0 yards rushing.  I think J.P.  need to run the ball a few times a game to keep the defense off their toes and on their heels. 

Understanding it is the preseason (no injuries), but just watching him struggle in the pocket at the end of the half is difficult.  He has great speed and can run with the ball.  I'd like to see him tuck and run, rather than crunched and fumble.

747283[/snapback]

I don't hold that opinion. That can become a very bad habit. JP needs to learn what it is to be a QB not a glorified RB under center. He needs to learn good habits now and stick with them or defenses will never respect the passing game. Vick will never win anything until he learns what Steve Young did toward the end of his career.

SB history shows that pocket passers win championships.