Preseason 101

mary owen

I think that last year there was no excuse for the way things went down...place the blame on whomever you wish (I still blame Drew)

747523[/snapback]

<_<:blink::lol:

I understand. I still blame Flutie, RJ, Kilbride (OK...who am I forgetting?)

You got that right, my friend. I remember the year I moved to Albany and first had to deal with Jets fans. I'll never forget it... The Bills went 0-6 in pre-season and the Jets went 6-0. No joke , the Bills opened that REGULAR season 5-0, and the Jets? The monsters of that pre-season? They were 0-5 going into Week Six. Me & Harv had some fun with that one, man. Anyone who gets remotely excited about pre-season games should be strapped to a chair and shown endless highlite reel loops of the '91 Jets ...

Great Post, Petrino!

What? What do you mean you agree? I said something positive....you're supposed to come back with something about the ways we suck....you're slipping, Frez  :blink:

747915[/snapback]

I call a spade a spade. If a player sucks in preseason or regular season that's the way it is. Seems a lot of Buffalo fans these days are getting content the way they play every year and make excuses for them, I will not do that. I'm tired of losing and want something better from this team.

I think it's funny to watch people post positive threads about players who stink it up. <_<

I call a spade a spade. If a player sucks in preseason or regular season that's the way it is. Seems a lot of Buffalo fans these days are getting content the way they play every year and make excuses for them, I will not do that. I'm tired of losing and want something better from this team.

I think it's funny to watch people post positive threads about players who stink it up.  :blush:

747933[/snapback]

lol, well I don't necessarily disagree with that....it's just more fun when we argue :)

I think last preseason we had a lot of reason to be optimisitc, thus I was very optimistic in my postings. By the 2/3 mark of the season, I was really feeling sick - like most others on here. By season's end I couldn't even post on the main board and I spent all my time on the "off the wall" forum.

But now we have all sorts of new changes, which may or may not yield fruit, but it's very easy for me to be optimistic once again. I don't have the same expectations as last year, yet I have expectations nonetheless. I want to see effort, solid game planning, and growth among our younger players. So dammit, I'm gonna be positive until given reason not to be!! 0:)

lol, well I don't necessarily disagree with that....it's just more fun when we argue 0:)

I think last preseason we had a lot of reason to be optimisitc, thus I was very optimistic in my postings. By the 2/3 mark of the season, I was really feeling sick - like most others on here. By season's end I couldn't even post on the main board and I spent all my time on the "off the wall" forum.

But now we have all sorts of new changes, which may or may not yield fruit, but it's very easy for me to be optimistic once again. I don't have the same expectations as last year, yet I have expectations nonetheless. I want to see effort, solid game planning, and growth among our younger players. So dammit, I'm gonna be positive until given reason not to be!!  :blush:

747939[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with that. I respect your positive thoughts and would never slam you for it or take it personal.

I see a 3-13 season for this years Bills. We will see more growing pains this year than the last 5 together.

Just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with that. I respect your positive thoughts and would never slam you for it or take it personal. 

I see a 3-13 season for this years Bills. We will see more growing pains this year than the last 5 together.

Just my opinion.

747943[/snapback]

Yeah, I fear that could be the case too, though it's hard for me to believe we'll be worse than we were last year. I just hope we have a QB on this roster who can be our CLEAR starter from this season onward. I just don't want this to be another wasted season like last year....that was hard to take for all of us. If we get a QB solidified, get our young players - particularly on defense - some growth, and play competitive and exciting football, then I think that would be okay regrdless of the record. But we need this team to be in position to move forward significantly by next season.

Yeah, I fear that could be the case too, though it's hard for me to believe we'll be worse than we were last year. I just hope we have a QB on this roster who can be our CLEAR starter from this season onward. I just don't want this to be another wasted season like last year....that was hard to take for all of us. If we get a QB solidified, get our young players - particularly on defense - some growth, and play competitive and exciting football, then I think that would be okay regrdless of the record. But we need this team to be in position to move forward significantly by next season.

747947[/snapback]

Have you seen Eli Manning this preseason? He and the NY Giants are on the right track. I hope the Bills can do the same with JP Losman.

Have you seen Eli Manning this preseason? He and the NY Giants are on the right track. I hope the Bills can do the same with JP Losman.

747952[/snapback]

Yep, that's exactly why Meathead should have left JP in there last year....I'm not saying he'll show as much progress as Manning has, but Manning had to go through his growing pains too. I was watching the Giants the other night....looks like they've put together a pretty nice team over there. I'm looking forward to the day that people are saying that about the Bills, lol

Yep, that's exactly why Meathead should have left JP in there last year....I'm not saying he'll show as much progress as Manning has, but Manning had to go through his growing pains too. I was watching the Giants the other night....looks like they've put together a pretty nice team over there. I'm looking forward to the day that people are saying that about the Bills, lol

747954[/snapback]

Friggin' Meathead killed two seasons in one. :blush:

I can't figure out why so many here got so concerned last week (and now after this game) about mistakes/bad plays.

This is the preseason......you WANT to have your team's mistakes occur during these games! That gives the coaching staff something to work on!

If your second and third stringers beat up on another teams 2 & 3, you virtually learn nothing. Sure you get an idea of who's climbing up the depth chart, but you can achieve more when they show weaknesses. It's all a part of evaluating and adjusting.

Wouldn't you like to find out who needs to improve their blitz pick up NOW rather than against the Pats???

Seems like some here are so hungry for preseason greatness that they are willing to sacrifice regular season progress.....

So relax, please. We are still tied for the division lead at 0-0.

747165[/snapback]

I agree but I remembering hearing the same thing last year on TBD. Of course we want the Bills to be good, but I think this is going to take time. This year could end up being very similar to 2001 season.

Lot of interesting stuff here... I guess the question about leaving JP in has finally been put to bed? Ayway, at what point does Jm Kelly's history, especially early, need to get brought up here? Those of us who were able to understand what was going on in 86, 87, 88, and 89, were not HUGE Kelly fans - because he threw TONS of picks. His TDs after the picks were what made it entertaining. As a matter of fact - in the last super bowl we were WINNING at half time and LOST because of Kelley coming out and throwing a pick for a TD.

Sound familiar?

But would anyone here, regardless of age, turn in Jim Kelly for Holcomb-like player? Please - the good is gonna come with the bad from JP. The difference is: Let him play the whole game and he can win as opposed to not lose.

this is from Terrence McGee's blog after the CAR game.

"Without a game plan during the preseason it’s different because you don’t really know what to expect during the game. By not watching film to see what routes your opponent runs it becomes a bit harder to cover them but at the same time as a cornerback in this league you should be able to break on an out or dig route because you see a form of it every day in practice. Basically, the preseason is used to improve your personal play and to see what your strengths and weaknesses are.

and from DJ regarding preseason:

"...we don't game plan teams"

hard to get real excited about or real down on preseason performances with the above in mind...

The problem is when you have a good team lose pre-season games (like the Marv Bills teams of the 90's), you say they are working out the bugs and giving younger/newer players a chance to make the team. :P

When you have been terrible for the past few season, and you lose preseason games you give a harbinger of things to come. :flirt:

"Your shower shoes have fungus on them. If you win 20 in The Show, you can have fungus on your shower shoes and the press will think you're colorful. Until then, though, it means you're a slob." - Crash Davis in Bull Durham