6 Things You Should Know About Training Camp

Rico

From pg. 34 of ESPN the Magazine, 8/14 issue with Josh Beckett on the cover.

Full-page article, bad-ass picture of TKO... sorry my scanner's down.

1. It's Murder On Our Feet.

"People don't know this, but the most amazing thing at camp is the blisters. We don't worry much in Buffalo, but in hot cities, you can get blisters on your feet so bad. Size of two quarters. You wrap it, put Vaseline on it - but you still go out there."

2. Accomodations May Vary.

"We just stay in college dorms, but the Falcons' place is specially built for them. They have queen-size pillow-top beds. I kinda wonder how you make a meeting if you're taking a nap on one of those."

3. Free Agents Think Hard About Camps.

"You hear stories about different camps. Andy Reid likes to go hard for the first few days, then taper off. But Tom Coughlin is a drill sergeant. If I had to pick where to go - with a coach who puts you in pads every day, even if it doesn't mean anything, or a coach who's not gonna beat you down - I'm going with the less-demanding guy. That's why you hear vets say this or that training camp is gonna give them another two years in the league."

4. The Turk Is No Laughing Matter.

"Some teams call him the Grim Reaper or Undertaker. In Cincy, it was the director of pro personnel. He'd come and get you before everybody else got out of bed. Getting cut ain't nothing I joke about. I've seen guys in tears."

5. Rookies Get Their Licks In.

"At the end of camp, all rookies have to put on a show. The wildest I've seen was where they went after management - about physical features, about how the coaches and GM thought they knew so much but didn't. The vets were dying, but you best believe some of those guys got cut three days later."

6. Pranks Are Plentiful - And Juvenile.

"The big one is at meals. When someone goes back to get something, we dump the salt shaker in his drink. If we don't have time, we just unscrew the top. All the salt comes out when he shakes it. Man, that's so funny! Another time, we put heat cream in a guy's pants, in his crotch. Let's just say if there were 18 periods in the practice, he only made it through three."

6. Pranks Are Plentiful - And Juvenile.

"The big one is at meals. When someone goes back to get something, we dump the salt shaker in his drink. If we don't have time, we just unscrew the top. All the salt comes out when he shakes it. Man, that's so funny! Another time, we put heat cream in a guy's pants, in his crotch. Let's just say if there were 18 periods in the practice, he only made it through three."

737030[/snapback]

I saw an interview with Favre, who is a big prankster. He said one day the guys put the heat cream in his jock, to get him back for all the junk he pulled. About 20 minutes into practice it started to become unbearable, to his credit though he said he refused to crack and pretended like nothing was wrong.

I saw an interview with Favre, who is a big prankster. He said one day the guys put the heat cream in his jock, to get him back for all the junk he pulled.  About 20 minutes into practice it started to become unbearable, to his credit though he said he refused to crack and pretended like nothing was wrong.

737151[/snapback]

vicodin is a hell of a drug!

:)

4. The Turk Is No Laughing Matter.

"Some teams call him the Grim Reaper or Undertaker. In Cincy, it was the director of pro personnel. He'd come and get you before everybody else got out of bed. Getting cut ain't nothing I joke about. I've seen guys in tears."

737030[/snapback]

So the "Turk" woke Posey up bright and early today.