Who is the best pass rusher?

bernie

what a friggin joke. no one was better than bruce! no one!

736485[/snapback]

Bruce was great but Reggie was awesome. I had the pleasure of watching Reggie during his time in Philly before DirecTv so I was forced to watch the Eagles every week, the guy was just incredible, he had speed and power like no one else...Deacon Jones was considered the best pure pass rusher but the game was different then, he was able to use the head slap which helped him get a lot of sacks

what a friggin joke. no one was better than bruce! no one!

736485[/snapback]

Lawrence Taylor should be #1, but as far as lineman go, it's Bruce by a wide margin. Had Bruce played for the Eagles during that period of time when Reggie White put up all of his numbers, Bruce would have blew the single season sack record out of the water. Many times.

Funny how in that SI article ranking the great pass rushers they lament Jack Youngblood having to play his final years in a 3-4 defense. Bruce spent his entire prime , which turned out to be better than a decade, in a 3-4. But he played on the "sacking side" according to SI, which is an interesting take, since the best offensive lineman play left tackle. And I mean, we all know Bruce didn't have great Super Bowls and that really hurts his legacy in many opinions, but I feel quite confident that lining up against Jumbo Elliot, Jim Lachey and Mark Tuinea was just a bit harder than Reggie had it when he collected his two sacks of Drew Bledsoe at the expense of journeyman trash Max Lane. Reggie seldom had to face the type of blocking Bruce did, but when he had to face Erik Williams, he got shut the hell down. And back to the old timers, of course SI never mentions that in the days of Deacon Jones and later Youngblood, it was A LOT easier to get to the QB.

Bruce was great but Reggie was awesome. I had the pleasure of watching Reggie during his time in Philly before DirecTv so I was forced to watch the Eagles every week, the guy was just incredible, he had speed and power like no one else...Deacon Jones was considered the best pure pass rusher but the game was different then, he was able to use the head slap which helped him get a lot of sacks

736488[/snapback]

A lot more has changed than just the headslap rule. Deacon had it at least twice as easy as modern day pass rushers do, which puts him in a different perspective. As for Reggie, he was great, but putting him in a "46" D with Clyde Simmons and Jerome Brown was a perfect setup.

Lawrence Taylor should be #1, but as far as lineman go, it's Bruce by a wide margin.  Had Bruce played for the Eagles during that period of time when Reggie White put up all of his numbers, Bruce would have blew the single season sack record out of the water.  Many times.

Funny how in that SI article ranking the great pass rushers they lament Jack Youngblood having to play his final years in a 3-4 defense.  Bruce spent his entire prime , which turned out to be better than a decade, in a 3-4.  But he played on the "sacking side" according to SI, which is an interesting take, since the best offensive lineman play left tackle.  And I mean, we all know Bruce didn't have great Super Bowls and that really hurts his legacy in many opinions, but  I feel quite confident that lining up against Jumbo Elliot, Jim Lachey and Mark Tuinea was just a bit harder than Reggie had it when he collected his two sacks of Drew Bledsoe at the expense of journeyman trash Max Lane.  Reggie seldom had to face the type of blocking Bruce did, but when he had to face Erik Williams, he got shut the hell down.  And back to the old timers, of course SI never mentions that in the days of Deacon Jones and later Youngblood, it was A LOT easier to get to the QB.

736527[/snapback]

badol - bruce had an excellent super bowl against tuinei in january 94 - you'll note that he put consistent pressure on aikman and forced him into an int near halftime. the next time the cowboys had the ball, they ran 10 out of 11 plays at phil hanson behind erik williams. bruce played extremely well that game, and wasn't controlled by tuinei by any stretch. as for jumbo elliot, well, bruce had a sack in the end zone and notched a safety, which suggests that he didn't have a terrible game at all. that doesn't happen very often, particularly in super bowls.