Buckeyes Start Out 2006 As #1

Mark VI

Good for them...they would be my #1.

I still think it is absolutely ridiculous to have an official ranking on August 4th. No one knows how anything will shake out....look at OU. Most of the coaches mailed in their votes and then OOOPS!....Starting QB gone.

Waste of time....and it can have ramifications down the line.

Personally I like the preseason polls...It gives a starting point to reference the teams and matchups. Sometimes they are blatently wrong, but that's for the voters to sort out during the season.

The breakdown is fairly well-distributed by the big conferences:

SEC- 6 teams

ACC- 4 teams

Big 10- 4 teams

Big 12- 4 teams

Pac 10- 3 teams

Big East- 2 teams

Other- 2 teams (ND and TCU)

I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted

735440[/snapback]

I'll enjoy it again this year.

I get the feeling Penn State loses vs. the Suckeyes, but beats the Wolverines whilst the Suckeyes lose to Meeeeshigan and beat the Nits.

Could see another "tie" at the top.

Holy sh--?  We're second?

I didn't expect us to be that high.

Man, this makes the 2nd week of the season here in Austin even more crazy, #1 vs #2!

735446[/snapback]

Hey Bluefire, how have you been?

Yes, my #1 Buckeyes against your #2 defending champions.

That said, I'm not so sure that Ohio State is the best team in the country. Yes, Troy Smith is the Heisman favorite, and Ted Ginn will only improve. But, the defense is young and in my mind, suspect at this point. The Buckeyes lost eight starters on defense.

If this team consisted of last year's defense and this year's offense, they would undoubtedly be #1, and probably be #1 all season. Until this defense shows me something, I'm just not convinced that Ohio State should be at the top of the rankings...I think they should be no higher than fourth right now.

Mike

And I saw Brady play on TV at the Fiesta Bowl. 

I wasn't real impressed.

Mike

738125[/snapback]

;)

Be that as it may, if you actually believe Troy Smith is the #1 Heisman favorite, I think you will find yourself in scarce company.

Furthermore, if you are basing this delusion in any way on that Fiesta Bowl performance, I urge you not to put much weight on Quinn's performace vs. the best defense in the nation when comparing it to Smith's performance vs. a pass defense that could get torched in the Special Olympics.

Hey Bluefire, how have you been?

Yes, my #1 Buckeyes against your #2 defending champions.

That said, I'm not so sure that Ohio State is the best team in the country.  Yes, Troy Smith is the Heisman favorite, and Ted Ginn will only improve.  But, the defense is young and in my mind, suspect at this point.  The Buckeyes lost eight starters on defense. 

If this team consisted of last year's defense and this year's offense, they would undoubtedly be #1, and probably be #1 all season.  Until this defense shows me something, I'm just not convinced that Ohio State should be at the top of the rankings...I think they should be no higher than fourth right now.

Mike

738057[/snapback]

Good good, you?

Are you coming down to Austin for the game by chance?

I think it might all come down to our running game versus your defense. Our defense should still be strong this year, and our running game is still strong with Charles, Melton and Young. Starting our new QB versus your defense where the only starters are left is on the defensive line should be a wash I think.

I really believe its going to come down to whether we can run the ball successfully or not versus you guys.

EDIT: I really believe that I might really think that I'm redundant at some times because I might repeat myself.

Good good, you?

Are you coming down to Austin for the game by chance?

738209[/snapback]

No...I've never even been to Texas...try getting tickets and a hotel room for that weekend. :lol:

That's also my anniversary, and Kim would kill me.

We weren't even in the country for last years game. We were in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Mike

No...I've never even been to Texas...try getting tickets and a hotel room for that weekend.  :lol: 

That's also my anniversary, and Kim would kill me.

We weren't even in the country for last years game.  We were in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Mike

739471[/snapback]

Hehe. My Dad bought a guest season ticket with my student tickets (325 bucks) just so he could get one for that game to fly out and see it.

• 2 weeks later...
until he meets P-A-U-L P-O-S-L-U-Z-N-Y.  and that goes for both qbs you all mentioned.  :flirt:

748031[/snapback]

I read an article about PP in ESPN the Mag, it sounds like he has been a man possessed since the injury (he didn't need knee surgery, just heavy rehab.) He supposedly has bulked up by about 15 lbs and has been an absolute monster in the PSU weight room. Also, since he couldn't participate in team drills during the spring, he worked 1-on-1 with a speed and conditioning coach and has increased his already impressive lateral movement and closing speed.

The article said the injury may have made the best LB in the country even better. Posluzny came off real well in the article. I'm not a huge PSU fan but he sounds like a classy dude who will succeed in life, both in football and beyond.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.