Kid from my HS getting a look

inkman

He played on the Rochester Raiders this year (big deal, I know), but I thought it was pretty cool.

Linky

Cottengim gets look

Fairport's Matt Cottengim, who was MVP of the Great Lakes Indoor Football League for the Rochester Raiders, will get a chance to show off his arm for the Buffalo Bills today.

The 6-foot-6 Cottengim will work out for the Bills this morning, Raiders owner Dave McCarthy said.

Cottengim has not signed a contract with the team. The Bills regularly bring in prospects for workouts, team spokesman Scott Berchtold said.

Cottengim threw a GLIFL-best 40 touchdowns and ran for three more.

"This is a real Cinderella story," McCarthy said. "The kid came out of nowhere and now he's getting a look from the Bills. Even if he can get to a practice squad or NFL Europe it would be a helluva story."

Cottengim started the season as Rochester's No. 2 quarterback but filled in for Omar Baker after he broke his jaw against Port Huron in the second game of the season.

"We didn't know what we had," McCarthy admits. "He's got a cannon for an arm and he's only 23. All he needed was a chance to play."

He also threw balls to my brother during HS, who is on the DIII honorable mention preseason all-american team. SUNY Brockport TE Mike Bond

p.s. I couldn't help throwing my little bro a plug.

Great stuff. Thanks for the news. So, was he the Fairport Red Raiders' QB? What a program they have. Of course, as a former Raider myself, that is not the most unbiased observation.

Again, thanks. I hope Cottengim knocks their socks off. I don't think Fairport has ever had an NFLer. I believe Mark Banowitz (spelling?) was drafted by Jacksonville or Carolina, but I don't think he ever made the team.

Baniewicz left a couple years before my brother made varsity. He would come to some of the games. Holy sh--! The guy was 300lbs of solid rock. He did spend a few of years in the league as a backup OL.

Great stuff. Thanks for the news. So, was he the Fairport Red Raiders' QB? What a program they have. Of course, as a former Raider myself, that is not the most unbiased observation.

Again, thanks. I hope Cottengim knocks their socks off. I don't think Fairport has ever had an NFLer. I believe Mark Banowitz (spelling?) was drafted by Jacksonville or Carolina, but I don't think he ever made the team.

735476[/snapback]

mark banowitz made jacksonville he backed up tony boselli for a few years then he hurt his knee and retired. hes coaching at my high school (mcquaid jesuit)

I played with Bano, as a fellow class of '95er. He was a huge Eagles fan back in HS. He was always super tall, but he was never that big until his senior year. He was a tight end every year up until then. I lifted with him (and several other Fairporters) between junior and senior year. He was getting bigger each year up until then, but I couldn't believe how huge he got in that tree-month span. The craziest thing was that he had never been a star, but right after gaining all that weight Syracuse locked him up with a full ride.

So he's at McQuaid now? That is hysterical. Thanks for the update.