Superman Returns question

JoeFerguson

I finally saw Superman Returns last night (on the IMAX 3D). I had really low expectations going in, but was pleasantly surprised with the final outcome and really enjoyed it. I also realize that there have already been several threads on this board that have discussed this movie, but I am starting a new thread because I have a specific question about the movie.

I always thought that it was impossible for Superman to impregnate a human. This idea has been thoroughly ingrained in me, based on the theories of Jason Lee's character Brodie Bruce in Mallrats. Brodie believed that if Superman were to have intercourse with a human, the force of his ejaculate would be so powerful that it would explode through Lois. Also, even if conception could occur, wouldn't the Superfetus kick a hole right through his mother's uterus?

Since I am not a big comic book fan, I ask this question here. Was this concept thoroughly addressed on other Superman forums, or was Mallrats the only time it was ever brought up? I was totally blown away when it was revealed that Superman was the father of Lois's son. The shock was the same as it would have been if I had seen a theatrical release of Empire Strikes Back and found out that Vader was Luke's father.

Superman was human when he porked Lois Lane in Superman II

even if he wasn't though, assuming Lois' egg was fertilized, a baby Superman shouldn't have the powers to kick through Lois because

1. Superman's powers didn't start developing until he was into his teens

and

2. Kryptonians need to be exposed to yellow sun to get charged up to use those super powers

I have no idea if or where it's been addressed but I've always thought the only way the Superman story makes sense is if he didn't develop his crazy powers until he was a teenager. A six year old with super strength would be found out immediately, even in Kansas. Now if a 16 year old one day noticed he was significantly stronger, then there's a chance he could keep it a secret.

even if he wasn't though, assuming Lois' egg was fertilized, a baby Superman shouldn't have the powers to kick through Lois because

and

2. Kryptonians need to be exposed to yellow sun to get charged up to use those super powers

729969[/snapback]

See, I thought that too which doesn't explain how he flew all the way to Krypton (or what was left of it) to set up the latest movie.

I'd like to see someone restart the Superman movies but set them in the 1950's with Superman not quite as strong as he is in SR. That way it might be dramatic when he's rushing around trying to save people.

Superman can shake a human's hand without crushing it. He can control the amount of force he uses. Maybe he could do a similar thing when he ejaculates. Yeah, I can't believe I just typed that.

As for Superman flying all the way to Krypton, he built a ship. Remember when he crashed back on Earth near his mother's place? Superman can only fly a certain distance in space. He needs to breath too (I get bored at work and read wikipedia crap a lot).

Wonder Woman was naked, spread eagled and writhing atop a tall building. Superman, flying above, spotted this and knew that this was his chance.

He swooped down, hopped on, and then there was an ear-splitting wail.

Superman jumped back, and said to WW, "What was that!".

She replied: "You just buggered the Invisible Man". :)

and

729969[/snapback]

If Superman was human when the baby was conceived, then wouldn't the baby become 100% human? I was not aware that he didn't develop his powers until his teens. I knew the thing about being exposed to our sun to get their powers, I should have factored that in.

So when Lex put the Kryptonite up to Jason White and it had no affect on him, is that because the kid hasn't fully developed his powers, or because he is half human and therefore not susceptible to the negative effects of the rock?

Collegeguy, why did you change your name?

So when Lex put the Kryptonite up to Jason White and it had no affect on him, is that because the kid hasn't fully developed his powers, or because he is half human and therefore not susceptible to the negative effects of the rock?

729994[/snapback]

At some point, someone on here suggested that the Kryptonite triggered the development of his powers.

See, I thought that too which doesn't explain how he flew all the way to Krypton (or what was left of it) to set up the latest movie.

I'd like to see someone restart the Superman movies but set them in the 1950's with Superman not quite as strong as he is in SR.  That way it might be dramatic when he's rushing around trying to save people.

729976[/snapback]

He flew there in a ship created by the crystals in his fortress.

It was hard to see, but it looked just like the one he flew to earth in as a baby.

That is why we was all weak when his mother came out to see him.

Time spent away from our sun.

If Superman was human when the baby was conceived, then wouldn't the baby become 100% human?  I was not aware that he didn't develop his powers until his teens.  I knew the thing about being exposed to our sun to get their powers, I should have factored that in. 

729994[/snapback]

There's far too many holes in the whole concept to really be able to figure it out. Singer only loosely based his movie on the original 2 Superman movies. If he were to follow the original Superman II completely, there shouldn't even be a fortress of solitude as Superman went to it at the end and destroyed it.

There are alot of theories regarding Jason and the kryptonite. Personally, I thought that perhaps the kryptonite triggered his kryptonian genes and gave him the strength to throw the piano at the thug. Since he's half human, the kryptonite didn't bother him the way it bothers his father. I don't know if you noticed, but Jason no longer required the use of the inhaler after he threw the piano.

Collegeguy, why did you change your name?

729994[/snapback]

well, i've been out of college (or at least undergrad since 2002)

and in 2 weeks, i'll be done with graduate school completely and begin working a real job

hence the name change...lest people think i'm a professional student :)

There's far too many holes in the whole concept to really be able to figure it out. Singer only loosely based his movie on the original 2 Superman movies. If he were to follow the original Superman II completely, there shouldn't even be a fortress of solitude as Superman went to it at the end and destroyed it.

730051[/snapback]

I need to watch that movie again sometime because I don't remember that at all.

He flew there in a ship created by the crystals in his fortress.

It was hard to see, but it looked just like the one he flew to earth in as a baby.

That is why we was all weak when his mother came out to see him.

Time spent away from our sun.

730005[/snapback]

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I did notice the ship was similar to the original one he arrived in (and I was wondering where he got that from as well). OK, so he got a new ship from the fortress. I guess that makes sense.

I still like my Superman in the 1950's idea.

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I did notice the ship was similar to the original one he arrived in (and I was wondering where he got that from as well).  OK, so he got a new ship from the fortress.  I guess that makes sense.

I still like my Superman in the 1950's idea.

730115[/snapback]

Hmmm, I thought it was a piece of Krypton he brought back with him...

Hmmm, I thought it was a piece of Krypton he brought back with him...

730117[/snapback]

I think he got from his fortess.

In the orginal Superman his dad launched him from krypton using the crystals.

They showed him walking around the ship putting crystals into it and launching from the same type pf set-up Superman had in the North Pole.

In the sequel I heard that Superman and Lois' kid grows up to be Tedy Bruschi.

730129[/snapback]

Can you imagine finding out that you're not really the father of your own child, and that Superman is the real father? No way to ever measure up to that.

730051[/snapback]

I think this movie was set between I and II.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense either...but I read it somewhere...

I think this movie was set between I and II.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense either...but I read it somewhere...

730135[/snapback]

No, it is after Superman II, that is why lex luthor knew about the fortress of solitude and the crystals, he was there at the end of Superman II.

And Superman and Lois didn't get their freak on till Superman II.

If she was knocked up before Superman II ii must have been a Bat Bastard.

Superman I - his spacecraft crashes in front of his (to be) earth parents. The truck gets a flat. While dad is fixing the flat, the truck falls off the jack - and there's little super-tyke, holding the back end of the truck up in the air.

I need to watch that movie again sometime because I don't remember that at all.

730113[/snapback]

It was only in the tv version. The DVD version released a few years back no longer has that scene for some reason. I believe the scene that has Superman destroying the fortress still exists on the international laser disc cut. Superman had to destroy the fortress because the authorities showed up to arrest Lex Luthor. His secret hiding spot was no longer a secret.

Superman I - his spacecraft crashes in front of his (to be) earth parents. The truck gets a flat. While dad is fixing the flat, the truck falls off the jack - and there's little super-tyke, holding the back end of the truck up in the air.

730360[/snapback]

they do things in the movies that don't go with what's written in the comics