Really glad Simpson and Williams are signed

eball

To me Williams is the dark horse here......I think by the end of this year we are going to be really happy with our D line situation in general because it will be productive and young.....

If Kelay can turn it around.....and our DT rotation can stop the run most of the time you will see a resergence of this defense that was actually tops in the league not that long ago......

The really good news for us about the signing of Simpson and Williams (and particularly Simpsons's agent sending out the word that his client said just git 'er done is that far most signs do point to the Bills draftees showing the "footbsll " character that marv has said he is going to be looking for from his players.

The deal is not done yet as 1st round draftee will have to get 'er done in short order (I suspect this will happen as he is slotted for more $ at #8 than even he by his own admission expected to get) and there is still the low-character hit that draftee Butler made as a collegian (he has been punished for it and should be ready to move past this trasgression so though he is on a short leash with the public that saw the prominent replay, as long as their are no additional trangressions on his part this should also be fine and dandy.

Folks are right that Bush has the talent which allows him to take the legit business route of using his leverage to maximize his dollars. However, it is situations like this that remind me that despite my psychotic devotion to stats and on field footbsll stuff, ultimately this is entertainment for me and I much prefer rooting for players who say the right things about the game meaning more to them than money, even if in most cases they really do not mean it.

True -- and you can look no further that Robert Edwards to see why this is the case. Edwards was a first round RB for the Patriots out of Michigan and had a promising career ahead of him. He blew out his knee in an offseason flag-football game and his career was done. Without the luxury of a guaranteed contract, it is critical for players to get as much up-front money as they can.

Folks are right that Bush has the talent which allows him to take the legit business route of using his leverage to maximize his dollars.  However, it is situations like this that remind me that despite my psychotic devotion to stats and on field footbsll stuff, ultimately this is entertainment for me and I much prefer rooting for players who say the right things about the game meaning more to them than money, even if in most cases they really do not mean it.

729006[/snapback]

I can completely agree, players need to get all they can. However, I guess the question is how far the 2 sides are from one another. Do you really think the Saints aren't offerring fair money to Bush. So, he's leveraging and hiding behind his agent to attempt to squeeze a few million more out of an organization when he hasn't done a single thing to earn it yet.

My initial point was I'd much rather havea player with Simpson's mentality of saying hey good enough lets get to playing football. As opposed to somone who says if I hold the organization hostage I can get another million on top of the millions I'm already getting.

And we can all say what we want about making as much as they can and short careers and all. But, to even suggest that making upwards of 5 million in one year could not be properly invested and provide someone a decent living for their life is ludicris.

....And we can all say what we want about making as much as they can and short careers and all.  But, to even suggest that making upwards of 5 million in one year could not be properly invested and provide someone a decent living for their life is ludicris.

729148[/snapback]

It always cracks me up when a player leaves his club for the better money(not that I think there is anything at all wrong with that, it's his choice)...and they say "I've got to look after my family". With that sort of money, they and their family are set for life. Why can't they just be honest about it?

Exactly. It's not so much about money as it is about greed in my opinion. If the contracts were in the $100,000's range, I could completely see the argument. But these are rookies getting 20-30-40 million dollar contracts. I mean the league minimum is what.. several hundred thousand a year. I know myself and just about anyone can live quite well off that.