NAACP Urges Blacks to Avoid Some Firms

Tux of Borg

The only people who have a significant problem with race in this country are the people who don't want to work for a higher class of living. They'd rather B word until someone gives it to them.

725356[/snapback]

I usually try to stay out of threads like this, but dude, I can't let that one slide. There are millions of people in this country, especially in the south and in rural areas, who have a significant problem with race, regardless of the place on the economic totem pole. My mother-in-law, who's a middle-class caucasian from South Carolina, has no problem complaining about all the "Spanish people" when she visits us in California. When we point out that most of those "Spanish people" are here in the US legally (and aren't from Spain :doh: ), she says those facts don't matter. She just has a problem with them being here.

There are millions of people in this country, especially in the south and in rural areas, who have a significant problem with race, regardless of the place on the economic totem pole.

I live in newengland, my dad and most of my uncles are like archie bunker.

1/2 are american irish and the other 1/2 are american italian.

Not only do they have low brow remarks about minorities, they hurl them at each other for being a drunken mick or a greasy quido. And most of them are making close to 100 grand a year. My dad is a train conductor he banks a 100g's, my uncle vinny is a supervisor for waste mngt, he draws close to a 100g's a year.

I grew up in boston during the bussing desegragration violence.

And my views on race are far different then my dad and uncles.

I think racism is some ancient fear humans have of unknowns and differences, what do I know,I'm just a stupid irish honkey :doh:

I usually try to stay out of threads like this, but dude, I can't let that one slide.  There are millions of people in this country, especially in the south and in rural areas, who have a significant problem with race, regardless of the place on the economic totem pole.  My mother-in-law, who's a middle-class caucasian from South Carolina, has no problem complaining about all the "Spanish people" when she visits us in California.  When we point out that most of those "Spanish people" are here in the US legally (and aren't from Spain :doh: ), she says those facts don't matter.  She just has a problem with them being here.

726360[/snapback]

But I wouldn't say your mother-in-law has a "significant" problem with minorities (which is why I boldfaced that word) because I doubt she can do anything more than B word about them.

My old man uses the N word more than a chocolate rap star, but outside of being a vocal moron, he doesn't actually DO anything significant. He doesn't ignore them at work, call them names to their face, keep them from getting a job, or wear a bedsheet and hood in a parade. He's just a narrow-minded bigot who is equally narrow-minded toward a white teenager wearing his cap backwards.

The point of mine you highlighted was actually to say that many times race is used as a reason to elevate a situation simply because some people aren't bold enough, smart enough, dedicated enough or ballsy enough to earn something on their own. I keep hearing how baseball needs more blacks but I never hear how basketball needs more whites. I hear how blacks are disparaged and held back and not afforded opportunities like a white guy, and yet I deal with a number of very successful black people on a regular basis: banking VPs, corporate Sales Directors, restaurant owners, etc. How did they manage to get through when there is so much racial angst out there?

More to the point; race has become so overpolluted as a reason for anything wrong in this world that even minorities (including a number of my black and hispanic associates) will tell you that some of these people need to get off their asses and work for what they want and stop expecting it to be handed to them simply because they're a minority.

But I wouldn't say your mother-in-law has a "significant" problem with minorities (which is why I boldfaced that word) because I doubt she can do anything more than B word about them.

My old man uses the N word more than a chocolate rap star, but outside of being a vocal moron, he doesn't actually DO anything significant. He doesn't ignore them at work, call them names to their face, keep them from getting a job, or wear a bedsheet and hood in a parade. He's just a narrow-minded bigot who is equally narrow-minded toward a white teenager wearing his cap backwards.

The point of mine you highlighted was actually to say that many times race is used as a reason to elevate a situation simply because some people aren't bold enough, smart enough, dedicated enough or ballsy enough to earn something on their own. I keep hearing how baseball needs more blacks but I never hear how basketball needs more whites. I hear how blacks are disparaged and held back and not afforded opportunities like a white guy, and yet I deal with a number of very successful black people on a regular basis: banking VPs, corporate Sales Directors,  restaurant owners, etc. How did they manage to get through when there is so much racial angst out there?

More to the point; race has become so overpolluted as a reason for anything wrong in this world that even minorities (including a number of my black and hispanic associates) will tell you that some of these people need to get off their asses and work for what they want and stop expecting it to be handed to them simply because they're a minority.

726658[/snapback]

Rack him....great post!