Why soccer doesn't catch on in the USA

To play soccer well, you have to start playing when your 5 years old. This isn't NFL football where you take a basketball player and convert him to a TE. Your statement indicates that you have very little grasp of how difficult soccer is to play.

Also, I'm sure many of the soccer players are far superior to NFL players. Just look at the African players who are very athletic.

707201[/snapback]

It works both ways.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Darin. I don't understand why every 4 years, soccer fans have to rationalize or justify why it isn't popular in the U.S. I especially can't stand the "you don't understand it" smugness. It's just not an entertaining game to watch, and it's not particularly complicated either. I wish they would just enjoy the game and quietly say F*&^ everyone else like hockey fans.

I'm with Darin.  I don't understand why every 4 years, soccer fans have to rationalize or justify why it isn't popular in the U.S.  I especially can't stand the "you don't understand it" smugness.  It's just not an entertaining game to watch, and it's not particularly complicated either.  I wish they would just enjoy the game and quietly say F*&^ everyone else like hockey fans.

707559[/snapback]

Who does that? I have yet to see anyone on here talking about soccer just go off onto some diatribe about how some other sport sucks. We're just talking about a game that we love in peace. If people are going to come into the thread and start spouting off, then yeah, you're probably going to get people defending the game or whatever. If you don't like soccer, then don't read soccer threads :)

There are a lot of us who are glad that the MLS is around and doign well, but honestly don't care if soccer is ever any more popular in this country than it is right now. It's not going to change the fact that it's huge everywhere else. I don't know anyone who actually believes that the MLS will ever be on par with the NBA, NFL, or MLB.....and that's perfectly fine. It doens't need to be. It's just nice to have some sort of presence in this country, and it's nice to know that those athletes who do chose this game have somewhere here at home to develop their skills. And yes, it's nice to have a presence on the world stage. Beyond that, it has nothign to do with you or anyone else not understanding the game. It has to do with the fact that there are soccer fans in this country, just like there are fans of everything else out there.

Who does that? I have yet to see anyone on here talking about soccer just go off onto some diatribe about how some other sport sucks. We're just talking about a game that we love in peace. If people are going to come into the thread and start spouting off, then yeah, you're probably going to get people defending the game or whatever. If you don't like soccer, then don't read soccer threads  :)

There are a lot of us who are glad that the MLS is around and doign well, but honestly don't care if soccer is ever any more popular in this country than it is right now. It's not going to change the fact that it's huge everywhere else. I don't know anyone who actually believes that the MLS will ever be on par with the NBA, NFL, or MLB.....and that's perfectly fine. It doens't need to be. It's just nice to have some sort of presence in this country, and it's nice to know that those athletes who do chose this game have somewhere here at home to develop their skills. And yes, it's nice to have a presence on the world stage. Beyond that, it has nothign to do with you or anyone else not understanding the game. It has to do with the fact that there are soccer fans in this country, just like there are fans of everything else out there.

707577[/snapback]

Well put. :lol: I can't believe the negativity I have been reading in these soccer threads. If you don't like soccer so what. We aren't forcing you to like soccer. We just want to talk soccer.

This discussion kills me. Every four freaking years the transplanted Euros and Latinos pop up out of the woodwork and tell us what a great sport soccer is and how it will "finally catch on in the U.S."

I "get" soccer. My dad came to the US from Germany when he was 16. I grew up playing the game, I understand it, and yes, I watch the World Cup. I have never considered watching an MLS game, and never will. If I were in Europe I might consider attending a game, but that's the extent of it.

Professional soccer will NEVER approach the popularity of at least a half dozen professional and college sports in the U.S., including:

NFL

NBA

MLB

NHL (yes, hockey is more popular)

PGA

LPGA

NCAA BB

NCAA FB

Minor League baseball

I'm sure there are more. Lacrosse is probably more popular.

Soccer is the "world's most popular sport" for ONE reason and one reason only -- it's the cheapest and easiest to play. All you need is a ball and a plot of land. That's the same reason why it is such a huge YOUTH sport in the U.S. That does not, however, make it the greatest or most entertaining spectator sport.

Soccer nuts -- enjoy your sport. Please. But please also stop trying to twist our arms into agreeing with you that this is the greatest sport ever created, or that its' popularity will ever approach that of the professional and college sports we know and love.

its just a bunch of people running round on an open field. you are not allowed to hit another person. only 1 guy had the ball and the others just walk around. if someone falls down they are required to act like they were just hit in the knee with a metal bar and scream, "WHY?!!!!", then magically pop right back up and sprint down the field.

This discussion kills me.  Every four freaking years the transplanted Euros and Latinos pop up out of the woodwork and tell us what a great sport soccer is and how it will "finally catch on in the U.S."

I "get" soccer.  My dad came to the US from Germany when he was 16.  I grew up playing the game, I understand it, and yes, I watch the World Cup.  I have never considered watching an MLS game, and never will.  If I were in Europe I might consider attending a game, but that's the extent of it.

Professional soccer will NEVER approach the popularity of at least a half dozen professional and college sports in the U.S., including:

NFL

NBA

MLB

NHL (yes, hockey is more popular)

PGA

LPGA

NCAA BB

NCAA FB

Minor League baseball

I'm sure there are more.  Lacrosse is probably more popular.

Soccer is the "world's most popular sport" for ONE reason and one reason only -- it's the cheapest and easiest to play.  All you need is a ball and a plot of land.  That's the same reason why it is such a huge YOUTH sport in the U.S.  That does not, however, make it the greatest or most entertaining spectator sport.

Soccer nuts -- enjoy your sport.  Please.  But please also stop trying to twist our arms into agreeing with you that this is the greatest sport ever created, or that its' popularity will ever approach that of the professional and college sports we know and love.

707615[/snapback]

Noone is... well not me anyway.