Who is this scout Rashaan Curry?

The Trenton Times reports two scouts, who had been with the Eagles for the past five years, both are gone. Eastern regional scout Brian Boyse, 39, is believed to have left to pursue other interests, while Eastern scout Rashaan Curry, 29, was fired. Curry, a Columbia graduate, is considered one of the bright, young scouts around the league. He just wasn't a part of the Tom Heckert/Jason Licht regime. With his Ivy League background, maybe he'll land in Buffalo, where GM Marv Levy (Harvard), HC Dick Jauron (Yale) and director of college scouting Marc Ross (Princeton) all are employed.

I caught this on the redzone. Unless he's a Modrak associate I wonder why he's linked to Buffalo based on just having an Ivy League background. Wouldn't it seem to be more to it than that? Does anybody know much about this guy?

This is the best I could do

Rashaan Curry is in his sixth season as a member of the Eagles scouting staff. He is responsible for scouting the Southeast region. Curry, who was named a full-time college scout in 2002, joined the Eagles in 2001 as the team's college scouting administrator.

Prior to joining the Eagles, Curry, 29, served as an intern in the National Football League office, first in the player personnel department under Joel Bussert in 2000 and then with the NFL Europe operations department in the spring of 2001 at the league's training camp in Tampa, FL. He also served as an educator in Atlanta.

Curry graduated from Columbia University with a degree in African-American studies. He was a four-year letterman as a defensive end at Columbia. As a senior, he earned all-conference honors and was voted as the team's MVP.

A native of Atlanta, GA (born 1/21/77), Curry was the valedictorian of his graduating class at Archer HS in Atlanta. He and his wife, Ayana, have a daughter, Alia (5).

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/fro...bio.jsp?id=1241

When it comes to scouting, I'd prefer to have seasoned veterans (like during the Butler era) rather than valedictorian kids who never coached or played the game. The "look em' in the eye and see what they're made of" comments by Dwight Adams were pretty spot on, IMO.

When it comes to scouting, I'd prefer to have seasoned veterans (like during the Butler era) rather than valedictorian kids who never coached or played the game.  The "look em' in the eye and see what they're made of" comments by Dwight Adams were pretty spot on, IMO.

692191[/snapback]

To quote the above report on him: "He was a four-year letterman as a defensive end at Columbia. As a senior, he earned all-conference honors and was voted as the team's MVP."

I know you probably meant played the game in the NFL. In terms of experience - you need to start somewhere - plus 6 years is a good start already. Just put him on the Ivy league for a few years where he can get the Bills style of scouting down.

Just put him on the Ivy league for a few years where he can get the Bills style of scouting down.

692303[/snapback]

While the Ivy's produced a few players over the years for the Bills (noteably Marcellus Wiley), I can't see the league being a big enough pipeline to justify a full-time scout.

Curry's link to the Bills was all conjecture on the reporter's part anyway, so not much chance the story's legit.

With his Ivy League background, maybe he'll land in Buffalo, where GM Marv Levy (Harvard), HC Dick Jauron (Yale) and director of college scouting Marc Ross (Princeton) all are employed.

692056[/snapback]

I believe this was just a "tongue in cheek" comment that, with the Bills having the three mentioned people with Ivy league background, that maybe Curry would end up there.

When it comes to scouting, I'd prefer to have seasoned veterans (like during the Butler era) rather than valedictorian kids who never coached or played the game.  The "look em' in the eye and see what they're made of" comments by Dwight Adams were pretty spot on, IMO.

692191[/snapback]

Interestingly, I don't think Adams played college ball. (Then again, I believe he was busy shipping out to Korea with the USMC right after high school...)

Following his own stint in the Marines, Butler played two years of juco and one year at Illinois, then coached for three years at Evansville... his only experience before joining the Chicago Blitz staff. He was still in his mid-thirties when the Blitz named him their Director of Pro Scouting.

Looking at the scouting staff in the 2000 media guide, quite a few of them - Forsyth, Gibbons, Majeski - started here as interns while still in their mid-20s.

Hey, everybody has to start somewhere.

Interestingly, I don't think Adams played college ball. (Then again, I believe he was busy shipping out to Korea with the USMC right after high school...)

692513[/snapback]

Dwight coached at the University of Florida, Clemson and The Citadel, I believe.