QB Controversies (link)

with the way the OL looks, JP is the best option.......whoever is back there is going to have to do a lot of running around..........

another year with holcomb is another wasted year.....we need to find out what JP has to offer......i think he'll be up for the challenge after last season.......

with the way the OL looks, JP is the best option.......whoever is back there is going to have to do a lot of running around..........

another year with holcomb is another wasted year.....we need to find out what JP has to offer......i think he'll be up for the challenge after last season.......

683788[/snapback]

To me the competition is between JP and Nall. As both are relatively young and unproven. I gave JP an edge as Nall really hasn't been nothing more than a #3 throughout his career. As Holcomb showed to me to be nothing more than a short term starter/good #2 last year ala Frank Reich and nothing more. Another darkhorse is Craig Ochs whose played well in NFL Europe of course rather he being on the practice squad this year and give him a chance next year if neither JP or Nall prove to be an NFL starter this year.

Seriously, no one should have a horse in this fight. Whoever is the best QB on the roster right now should play. Regular season isn't some sort of training camp for the QB. I view a wasted year as an unsuccessful year which we have had a run of. I don't care who gets playing time as long as we win.

To me, JP didn't look like a QB who needed seasoning. He looked like a QB who doesn't get it. A QB who needs seasoning makes a lot of big plays but forces the ball too much, runs too much. He shows brilliance but then makes dumb mistakes. JP was showing some flashes, but most of the time he was missing wide receivers badly, looking confused etc--showing lack of ability, not lack of judgment. Not a QB I would mortgage another regular season over. If he has it with a new offense and less pressure, good. But he has to actually be better than Holcomb and Nall this season not "in the future".

683788[/snapback]

The OL should be no worse than last year and it seemed like JP had more trouble with the lack of protection than Holcomb. Being able to get rid of the ball and step-up in the pocket is far more important than the ability to make a break for it.

JP clearly did not perform except in flashes like the first quarter of the Miami game, that is clearly true, but I think it is panicking a bit for a decision to be made that he can never make it in the NFL.

Preferably he would have his pre-season training in pre-season, and I say sit his butt down if he is the one stopping us from winning. However, last season it was actually the fact that we could not stop the run at all that was made sure we were not gonna win regardless of how JP or Holcomb played.

The Bills IMHO opinion screwed up by sitting JP, not because he was any good (he was not) but because once it was clear we were not gonna stop the run (our run D sucked the first couple of games with TKO in there and we clearly were done with TKO out), but because last season was the equivalent of a pre-season where they could have let JP learn from making mistakes or demonstrate far more clearly that he will likely never learn.

He started out as a pro playing horibbly in the mop-up for Bledsoe in NE, but he did show clear improvement each game he mop-upped in his first partial season. He definitely looked even worse in his 8 starts last year, but given the reality of his contract, a team would be dumb to Brett Favre/Steve Young him now.

The folks who say no one should have a favorite right now if what they care most about is the Bills. I think the massive JP contract does make him first among equals in my book and it is his job to lose, but I can easily see sitting his butt unless he at least shows enough that he can be developed or if Nall or Holcomb simply play lights out and take the job by the neck.

JP clearly did not perform except in flashes like the first quarter of the Miami game, that is clearly true, but I think it is panicking a bit for a decision to be made that he can never make it in the NFL.

683859[/snapback]

Pyrite, good post, but i had to add in his performance in relief against KC also, JPL did play very well there too :blush:

JP played well in the last games that he played. KC and Miami were good games for him and he showed he could be good on a number of series during the course of the year. I think Losman is likely to be the guy this year, but making him earn it is the most important thing. The front office handing him the starting job last year was like giving a sixteen year old the keys to the Ferrari and saying, go have fun. The likely result is a wreck. He should have sat behind Bledsoe for another year and learned. Then he would have been better prepared. I think this will be a better team this year if Losman starts and actually has to work for it.

I think part of the problem last year was the indecision on the part of TD and MM regarding who was going to start. I can't remember any team doing well when no one's sure who's going to start from week to week. I was also suprised last year by how long they were willing to do that. I'm not sure if it was because they were desperate to save their jobs, or if it was Mularkey wanting to establish control over the team. It sure was strange though.

So now the question becomes whether or not Losman's confidence has been permanently eroded. If he's resilient, he'll bounce back and at least show enough progress in a rebuilding year. But if the coaching staff is going to waffle each game on who's starting, his development is going to suffer again. IMO the most important thing to a team is chemistry between the QB and the OL, and that can't be developed without playing together.

I say make it an open competition in camp, then keep the guy who wins behind center for the whole season.