"(Close to) Sure Things"

Below is a list of first round draft picks that should at least be good even if they don't become great. How do you determine that kind of thing? I think six factors are important:

(1) The position they play. There will be no QB's on this list, for example

(2) Injury history/potential

(3) Did they make a lot of plays in college, or were they drafted more on measurables/potential?

(4) Work ethic (alleged, from news articles and coaches quotes)

(5) Size/speed for their position

(6) Did they look good because they played on a great team, with great teammates?

The List

---------

1. Mario Williams

2. Reggie Bush

4. D'Brick

5. AJ Hawk

6. Vernon Davis

7. Michael Huff

8. Donte Whitner (if he stays healthy, he'll make plays all over the field)

17. Chad Greenway

18. Bobby Carpenter

21. Laurence Maroney

23. Davin Joseph

24. Johnathan Joseph

29. Nick Mangold

That's 13 players total, or less than half the first round, who are very likely to at least be good players in this league. I consider the other players to have decent to good bustability factors for one reason or another. Why doesn't John McCargo make the list? He's a good prospect and was NOT a reach but he's still a defensive tackle (a high bust position), he had that stress fracture in the foot, and while he made plays in college, he was not consistently dominant and we're drafting him partly on his potential (extreme quickness off the snap).

Below is a list of first round draft picks that should at least be good even if they don't become great.  How do you determine that kind of thing?  I think five factors are important:

(1) The position they play.  There will be no QB's on this list, for example

(2) Injury history/potential

(3) Did they make a lot of plays in college, or were they drafted more on measurables/potential?

(4) Work ethic (alleged, from news articles and coaches quotes)

(5) Size/speed for their position

The List

---------

1. Mario Williams

2. Reggie Bush

4. D'Brick

5. AJ Hawk

6. Vernon Davis

7. Michael Huff

8. Donte Whitner (if he stays healthy, he'll make plays all over the field)

16. Jason Allen

17. Chad Greenway

18. Bobby Carpenter

21. Laurence Maroney

23. Davin Joseph

24. Johnathan Joseph

29. Nick Mangold

That's 14 players total, or less than half the first round, who are very likely to at least be good players in this league.  I consider the other players to have decent to good bustability factors for one reason or another.  Why doesn't John McCargo make the list?  He's a good prospect and was NOT a reach but he's still a defensive tackle (a high bust position), he had that stress fracture in the foot, and while he made plays in college, he was not consistently dominant and we're drafting him partly on his potential (extreme quickness off the snap).

681980[/snapback]

Wait, you didn't put Vince on the list? :D:angry::lol:

I am sure you will miss on at least 7 of them.  It is just the way it is.

681989[/snapback]

At least 7? Nah. Two or three of them will probably bust, one will probably have a career hampered by injury, but this was a great draft. and there are more close-to-sure-things than usual in this year's first round. The odds are helped out dramatically by a tremendous top of the draft this year.

Two really bad assumptions by me.  (1) that Marv won't play draft "games" with the media ( http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3743 )... TOTALLY WRONG, and (2) never seriously thought we'd draft a safety

682005[/snapback]

Don't feel bad...my Bills 3rd and 4th round pre-draft choices - Guard Setterstrom and DE Eric Henderson were signed yesterday...to practice squads. :P