No DT taken in Round 2

Now we know why Marv reached for McCargo...the rest of the DT were way overrated.

676583[/snapback]

Actually I think this ocurrence leads to the opposite conclusion.

It seemed to me the Bills reached up for McCargo out of fear that someone else would take him before they picked in the 2nd and that there was no other DT available in the draft with their 2nd round pick.

The fact that no other team judged a DT worthy of a 2nd round pick confirms that they were correct in reaching up for McCargo (as long as he merits a shot at starting immediately for us as we expect from any 1st round choice). Since clearly the top 2 DT choices Ngata and Bunkley were not available for our #2 would have either been a stretch for a player not even picked in the 2nd or else leave our starting DT slot to a player who merited a 3rd round choice at best.

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=163

But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=163

But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

676710[/snapback]

I have to wonder - economics. Isn't signing one player (Mc Cargo) also cheaper than signing two? Maybe I am just niave. :lol:

Actually I think this ocurrence leads to the opposite conclusion.

It seemed to me the Bills reached up for McCargo out of fear that someone else would take him before they picked in the 2nd and that there was no other DT available in the draft with their 2nd round pick.

The fact that no other team judged a DT worthy of a 2nd round pick confirms that they were correct in reaching up for McCargo (as long as he merits a shot at starting immediately for us as we expect from any 1st round choice).  Since clearly the top 2 DT choices Ngata and Bunkley were not available for our #2 would have either been a stretch for a player not even picked in the 2nd or else leave our starting DT slot to a player who merited a 3rd round choice at best.

676666[/snapback]

Good point. McCargo definitely wouldn't have been there with our 2nd round pick.

I have to wonder - economics. Isn't signing one player (Mc Cargo) also cheaper than signing two? Maybe I am just niave. :lol:

676725[/snapback]

Unlikely with a 1st round pick vs. two low-round guys. Trading out of the first round is really the only way to get on the cheap, unless for some reason McCargo and the Bills struck a deal saying he'd take a contract on the cheap to make up for the prestige? Doesn't seem likely.