Wroten tested positive at combine

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

WROTEN, SCIFRES TEST POSITIVE AT COMBINE

Three league sources with knowledge of the results of the drug tests administered at the February scouting combine tells us that, this year, only two players generated positive results.

Per the sources, the two positive results were generated by LSU defensive tackle Claude Wroten and Missouri State kicker Jon Scifres. The sources have requested anonymity due to the confidential nature of the NFL's drug testing protocol.

ESPN's Mel Kiper has Wroten listed as No. 3 among defensive tackles, behind only Brodrick Bunkley and Haloti Ngata. Kiper pegs Scifres as the No. 2 kicker.

Scifres' brother, Mike, is the punter for the San Diego Chargers.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), Wroten wrote a letter last week to the lead decision maker of each of the 32 NFL teams, reportedly due to an arrest in January of possession of marijuana, with intent to distribute. The charges were dropped. He said in the letter that he made a mistake, but is not a bad guy.

It's not known whether Wroten knew at the time of writing the letter that his test result from the combine would be positive, or whether his letter addressed the matter in any way. Last year, Northwestern tackle Luis Castillo arguably slowed his own draft slide by disclosing via letter a positive result at the combine for androstenedione. Castillo was selected by the Chargers in round one.

A positive test doesn't necessarily mean that the player was found to have a prohibited substance in his urine. An excessively diluted sample also can be regarded as a positive test.

As we've explained in past years, the test imposed at the combine is announced in advance. Thus, anyone who tests positive at the combine -- and whose positive test was the result of using a prohibited substance -- is either a moron or has a problem.

Unless, of course, it's a false positive.

He is still a first day guy, I like wroten, I think where he is going to be drafted would be better value for us than Ngata or Bunkley. If Ngata and Bunkley are 1 and 2, Wroten wasn't too far behind them, he fits the 3 tech the best in the draft IMHO

I would be happy if we got him in the 2nd. Look at Castillo last year, failed a drug test, still a first rounder.

I think this is great news for us, if we want him.

I know little about illicit drug testing. But IIRC, isn't THC detectable in body fat and hair follicles for quite a time after ingestion?

668061[/snapback]

Yes. and he was obviously framed by the NFL and the police. Hey, the search was declared illegal when they nailed him with weed and 4 Gs in his car; common for a college student.

I wish that this poor guy would stop being victimized. Yes, let's draft him by all means.

Yes. and he was obviously framed by the NFL and the police. Hey, the search was declared illegal when they nailed him with weed and 4 Gs in his car; common for a college student.

I wish that this poor guy would stop being victimized. Yes, let's draft him by all means.

668072[/snapback]

:lol:

Yeah, it's not like he's bangin' 16 year old girls or anything :P

668072[/snapback]

Feeling a bit snappish, today?:lol:

Feeling a bit snappish, today?;)

668183[/snapback]

Sorry s.i.c. B-)

I am thinking that weed is one of the easiest substances for a person to resist. This kid can't seem to do so. At that, I will even give him a pass for being too stupid to know (as a user) that weed is detectable for a longer period of time than other drugs.

The thing is, I don't want the Bills to toss him a few million dollars signing bonus. If he cannot resist pot, think of the crack cocaine he could purchase with that kind of cash! :)

Sorry s.i.c.  ;)

I am thinking that weed is one of the easiest substances for a person to resist. This kid can't seem to do so. At that, I will even give him a pass for being too stupid to know (as a user) that weed is detectable for a longer period of time than other drugs.

The thing is, I don't want the Bills to toss him a few million dollars signing bonus. If he cannot resist pot, think of the crack cocaine he could purchase with that kind of cash!  :)

668665[/snapback]

Nobody is saying to draft him in the first round...

Sorry s.i.c.  B-)

The thing is, I don't want the Bills to toss him a few million dollars signing bonus. If he cannot resist pot, think of the crack cocaine he could purchase with that kind of cash!  :)

668665[/snapback]

Nothing to be sorry about - your posts always hold the best interests of the Bills foremost.

I wish I could recall the quote from his Dad. He was not happy with sonny... ;)

I realize that he was caught with a goodly quantity...and he must have a guardian angel somewhere. He is fortunate that the case had flaws...very fortunate, because it's hard to think that there was no criminal intent. It was a lu-lu of a first offense...

My guess is that he has been "scared straight", as they used to say.

But we will see. I'm certain that his contract will have some serious language in it about big-time monetary penalties if he dips into the cookie jar. Perhaps Papa may well put the clamps on his purse strings.