Tagliabue's most important comment

Billsguy

I think Tagliabue was dead right when he said the team's long-term prosperity "turns more on who the quarterback is and who the running back is than on the specifics" of the contract with the National Football League Players Association.

Basically he was telling Ralphie that if the Bills do a good job within their organization by fielding a good team, the money the league and the team generates will take care of itself.

Reading between the lines, the message to Ralphie was: quit screwing up your team with really bad decisions on GM's, coaches and players and the league will allow you to compete on a level playing field.

Tags was right on.

I think Tagliabue was dead right when he said the team's long-term prosperity "turns more on who the quarterback is and who the running back is than on the specifics" of the contract with the National Football League Players Association.

Basically he was telling Ralphie that if the Bills do a good job within their organization by fielding a good team, the money the league and the team generates will take care of itself.

Reading between the lines, the message to Ralphie was: quit screwing up your team with really bad decisions on GM's, coaches and players and the league will allow you to compete on a level playing field.

Tags was right on.

667005[/snapback]

I agree Tags was sending a message that the team's future depends more on the team's success than on the CBA..."if the Bills do a good job within their organization by fielding a good team, the money the league and the team generates will take care of itself."

But I don't think, for one minute, he was saying: "quit screwing up your team with really bad decisions..." I'm sure Tags has far too much respect for Ralph than to suggest that.

Tags was right on.

667005[/snapback]

Tags was right off, if he said that go and get marquee names, and all is well...

Tags was right off, if he said that go and get marquee names, and all is well...

667012[/snapback]

Even if Ralph signed the AFC pro bowl squad to play in Buffalo, it wouldn't change the demographics or revenue potential of WNY.

Can the Bills prosper in Buffalo?

The answer depends on what you mean by prosper and answer the question of how much is enough in terms of a profitable NFL team.

If you mean can the team become a high revenue team, the answer is probably no. Buffalo always has been and likely will be for the forseeable furure one o the smaller markets. Even worse, it is a smaller market whose times of experiencing an economic boom like that in the Sunbelt was in the eariler part of the 20th century.

If one's requiements for the team to be viable is for it to compete economically with larger markets in go-go regions then fuggadoutit it ain't gonna happen.

However, if one is also a sportsman in a major way or primarily, the Bills are one of the moderate to higher annual profit teams in the NFL today according to the estimates of Forbes magazine. A lot of this is because the owner bought the team for far less than chump change a long time ago and has no debt service whatsoever to pay for the team.

When an NFL team costs over half a billion dollars, I don't care how eich you are or whether you are Dan Snyder or Tom Golisano, unless you are so stupid economically that you have your wealth under a mattress or in a simple checking account, your rishes are out working for you and for the most part are locked up into long-term investments that kick off more than enough cash in dividends and interest for you to make money from having money, but you have to go to the bank and arrange loans to buy a team

Still the economics of the NFL even with a new owner paying debt service, owning an NFL team and getting the enormous wealth provided by the TV contract and even when split with your partners the players still is the closest thing going outside of government to having a printing press that prints money.

From what we know (which is actually quite a bit about the finances of a private business as the NFL and NFLPA release tons of financial information publicly to check up on each other and because government pays a huge subsidy to a team like the Bills by owning their venue the Ralph but still allowing them to treat this property as their own and collect tons of profits from it) even with the salary cap going up as the NFLPA collects 59.5% of all revenue, given that the teams get their 40.5% split of the total gross revenues the Bills as a team should easily turn a profit.

Its quite nice that the smaller revenue teams will get a check for $10-15 million annually from the larger revenue teams but even this is small money compared tp the total take.

The Buffalo Bills will never ever be viable if the standard is that they must make as much money as they can in any available market.

However, if the standard is simply one of a sportsman who team happens to be a business and all that is required is that they turn a profut, on the face of the numbers it appears this is quite doable. It will be even more doable to the point of a guaranteed profit if the Bills team is able to extort out a deal with NYS where it sets up an authority to issue tax free municipal bonds to build a stadium which the Bills can then use with government holding the liability and costs for them to rake in profits from the sale of tickets.

I have seen no credible proof whatsoever that under the CBA that any NFL team will not be able to turn an annual profit even under new ownership with any kine of sane management. The conceot that the Bills are going to actually lose money anytime soon as long as Ralph is alive and particularly as soon as next year is simply laughable based on the numbers I have seen.

Tags' parting shot sounded like a kid who just got beaten up (which he did, by Ralph, by way of Chuck Shumer) and says something after it's over to the effect of "I let you win."

The specifics of the CBA is WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT, moron. Things were fine under the old system. And the Bills will no more be able to field a great QB, as well as RB (I LOL at that part!), for their ENTIRE existence in Buffalo, so again, the specifics of the CBA mean a lot.

Where were the Pats in revenue before this run?  Surely not in the top 3.

667198[/snapback]

Draft unglamorous Winston Justice and Charles Spencer, let Willis gain 1700 yards in 2007 and go 11-5 or 12-4 and we'll bring in plenty of revenue. Just win and everything will take care of itself. A little Pollyannish, but geez let's win some games... that's what concerns me the most !!!

Draft unglamorous Winston Justice and Charles Spencer, let Willis gain 1700 yards in 2007 and go 11-5 or 12-4 and we'll bring in plenty of revenue. Just win and everything will take care of itself. A little Pollyannish, but geez let's win some games... that's what concerns me the most !!!

667201[/snapback]

That's the thing.....we already have potential superstars on this team....we just need a damn O-line to help those on offense to really blossom.

Can the Bills prosper in Buffalo?

The answer depends on what you mean by prosper and answer the question of how much is enough in terms of a profitable NFL team.

If you mean can the team become a high revenue team, the answer is probably no.  Buffalo always has been and likely will be for the forseeable furure one o the smaller markets.  Even worse, it is a smaller market whose times of experiencing an economic boom like that in the Sunbelt was in the eariler part of the 20th century.

If one's requiements for the team to be viable is for it to compete economically with larger markets in go-go regions then fuggadoutit it ain't gonna happen.

However, if one is also a sportsman in a major way or primarily, the Bills are one of the moderate to higher annual profit teams in the NFL today according to the estimates of Forbes magazine.  A lot of this is because the owner bought the team for far less than chump change a long time ago and has no debt service whatsoever to pay for the team.

When an NFL team costs over half a billion dollars, I don't care how eich you are or whether you are Dan Snyder or Tom Golisano, unless you are so stupid economically that you have your wealth under a mattress or in a simple checking account, your rishes are out working for you and for the most part are locked up into long-term investments that kick off more than enough cash in dividends and interest for you to make money from having money, but you have to go to the bank and arrange loans to buy a team

Still the economics of the NFL even with a new owner paying debt service, owning an NFL team and getting the enormous wealth provided by the TV contract and even when split with your partners the players still is the closest thing going outside of government to having a printing press that prints money.

From what we know (which is actually quite a bit about the finances of a private business as the NFL and NFLPA release tons of financial information publicly to check up on each other and because government pays a huge subsidy to a team like the Bills by owning their venue the Ralph but still allowing them to treat this property as their own and collect tons of profits from it) even with the salary cap going up as the NFLPA collects 59.5% of all revenue, given that the teams get their 40.5% split of the total gross revenues the Bills as a team should easily turn a profit.

Its quite nice that the smaller revenue teams will get a check for $10-15 million annually from the larger revenue teams but even this is small money compared tp the total take.

The Buffalo Bills will never ever be viable if the standard is that they must make as much money as they can in any available market.

However, if the standard is simply one of a sportsman who team happens to be a business and all that is required is that they turn a profut, on the face of the numbers it appears this is quite doable. It will be even more doable to the point of a guaranteed profit if the Bills team is able to extort out a deal with NYS where it sets up an authority to issue tax free municipal bonds to build a stadium which the Bills can then use with government holding the liability and costs for them to rake in profits from the sale of tickets.

I have seen no credible proof whatsoever that under the CBA that any NFL team will not be able to turn an annual profit even under new ownership with any kine of sane management.  The conceot that the Bills are going to actually lose money anytime soon as long as Ralph is alive and particularly as soon as next year is simply laughable based on the numbers I have seen.

667186[/snapback]

You do realize, Fake Fat Sunny, that changing your screen name didn't mask your identity? Your nearly impossible-to-follow, stream-of-consciousness writing is unmistakeably FFS.

The reason small market teams in baseball like Oakland can survive is because they are excellent evaluators of college talent and consistently trade for more draft picks. That's the Bills should follow, imo. Ensure that you have enough experienced scouts to really comb America and be able to have second and third opinions on every player from every region. Always be making moves for more draft picks.

Like I've said before, I don't have much confidence that this new regime will succeed. But if they do, it'll be because they drafted very well.

The reason small market teams in baseball like Oakland can survive is because they are excellent evaluators of college talent and consistently trade for more draft picks.  That's the Bills should follow, imo.  Ensure that you have enough experienced scouts to really comb America and be able to have second and third opinions on every player from every region.  Always be making moves for more draft picks.

Like I've said before, I don't have much confidence that this new regime will succeed.  But if they do, it'll be because they drafted very well.

667408[/snapback]

Bills need to be bringing those gems in from the CFL :lol: