Ah yes, Williams the worst #4 in a decade.

Dibs

The problem with Williams was not the fault of the GM, to an extent (can't believe I sort of defended Donahoe there). Sure the GM may should have seen signs of Williams being lazy or unmotivated, but he was a highly regarded pick and was, at that time, the right pick for Buffalo. Everyone complains that TD never addressed the lines, which is wrong, he did address them, but not very well. Should MW have been the #4 pick overall, probably not because he was a need pick rather then a Best player available pick.

Mike Williams is to blame for being the Bust that he is, He has the talent and ability, but he's lazy, and unmotivated, hardly something that the GM can be soley blamed for

The problem with Williams was not the fault of the GM, to an extent (can't believe I sort of defended Donahoe there). Sure the GM may should have seen signs of Williams being lazy or unmotivated, but he was a highly regarded pick and was, at that time, the right pick for Buffalo. Everyone complains that TD never addressed the lines, which is wrong, he did address them, but not very well. Should MW have been the #4 pick overall, probably not because he was a need pick rather then a Best player available pick.

Mike Williams is to blame for being the Bust that he is, He has the talent and ability, but he's lazy, and unmotivated, hardly something that the GM can be soley blamed for

666810[/snapback]

but he wasn't the BPA.

That would have been McKinney who actually played a position of more need (LT) that could actually justify the cap hit.

You don't commit $40 mil to a RT with bad footwork.

but he wasn't the BPA.

That would have been McKinney who actually played a position of more need (LT) that could actually justify the cap hit.

You don't commit $40 mil to a RT with bad footwork.

666818[/snapback]

Thats what I said, he was not the Best player available and was more of a need pick.

666810[/snapback]

As we were discussing in the other thread, this bad bust move was compounded by TD though. As soon as it was clear that Williams was never going to be a dominant starting LT in the NFL -- and this was clear before (chest) was benched last year -- Tommy boy should've realized his mistake and started working on a new plan. Williams contract was enormous -- bigger than he is. Crossing ones fingers and waiting for him to suddenly become half-decent only to see his lazy butt get beat out by a converted UDFA TE was not a thing of brilliance -- it was damn fugly and at least partly why TD is collecting an unemployment check.

Thats what I said, he was not the Best player available and was more of a need pick.

666822[/snapback]

Yes he was the best player at that time based on draft analyst and on top of that he was a need pick. He just didn't pan out. So for anybody who wants to say I told you so are full of it for at the time he was considered a can't miss player and a solid pick and those naysayer just use it as another blow against TD. It's a gamble year in and year out for nobody really knows and that is what keeps us glued to this nonstopping soap opera. Every year we go thru the same thing as there is always a can't miss prospect; a year later most of these guys go under the radar unless they are All-Pros. Take Harris the DT from the Bears. While he is a decent player he is nowhere near being the disrupter he was hyped to be. And every year this plays out as while he was drafted he was considered a good pick but years later after the fact everyone points out a player taken later that turns out to be a better player. Who knows, Davis at TE might be the next Johniee Mitchell or Derek Brown but right now he is considered the next Kellen Winslow!

NO 8

Best: Safety Roy Williams -- In the draft, safeties are typically devalued. But this safety has the distinction of being the best No. 8 selection ever horse collared.

Same draft class as Mike Williams which means we passed on him :flirt: If memory serves, this was who many TSW'ers wanted to draft and rumor was that this was GWs preference. But TD wanted MW

Sure the GM may should have seen signs of Williams being lazy or unmotivated,

666810[/snapback]

One has to be careful of making such judements.

Remember that as a college player Bruce Smith was fat, slow and never worked out. Many did not feel he should have been drafted as high as he was....

Same draft class as Mike Williams which means we passed on him :doh:  If memory serves, this was who many TSW'ers wanted to draft and rumor was that this was GWs preference.  But TD wanted MW

666844[/snapback]

So many initials! :flirt:

Well said.

Remember that as a college player Bruce Smith was fat, slow and never worked out.  Many did not feel he should have been drafted as high as he was....

666865[/snapback]

I know, I'm not saying the signs were there, but taking a guy that has those signs is taking a serious gamble. The signs you look for are in game signs of him being lazy and unmotivated (not sure if those signs were there, but a good GM and scouts would notice those kinds of things.

The point I'm making is that the GM is not 100% at fault for the pick being a bust (maybe 25%). The player is the one on the field playing, the GM just has to like what he sees and make the pick.

I still don't know that MW was the Best PLayer available at the time, maybe best linemen, but I don't think he was the best player. Also, I know that he came highly regarded by alot of draft "experts", thats another reason why I can't blame the GM much for making the pick.

Remember that as a college player Bruce Smith was fat, slow and never worked out.  Many did not feel he should have been drafted as high as he was....

666865[/snapback]

the fact that he already weighed over 375 pounds probably wasn't a red flag that he might have a weight problem. :flirt:

but he was a highly regarded pick and was, at that time, the right pick for Buffalo.

666810[/snapback]

McKinnie was the right pick for the Bills. He may not be living up to his lofty pre-draft hype in Minnesota, but at least he's still starting at LEFT TACKLE there and playing pretty consistently if not quite Pro Bowl-level.

Drafting an overweight right tackle and expecting him to make a smooth transition to the left side was a microcosm of TD's draft-day arrogance.

A lot of Bills fans at the time would have preferred McKinnie or Roy Williams...turns out they were right.

McKinnie was the right pick for the Bills. He may not be living up to his lofty pre-draft hype in Minnesota, but at least he's still starting at LEFT TACKLE there and playing pretty consistently if not quite Pro Bowl-level.

Drafting an overweight right tackle and expecting him to make a smooth transition to the left side was a microcosm of TD's draft-day arrogance.

A lot of Bills fans at the time would have preferred McKinnie or Roy Williams...turns out they were right.

666999[/snapback]

How anybody reading this has a problem comprehending it is beyond me. What you are saying is simply the truth.

McKinnie didn't give up one sack in college, played LT, and beat up Freeney SO bad on national tv that I almost felt sorry for him. HE was the need pick.

TD was going to prove how he was smarter than anybody, so he took the tubby RT. Then to add insult to injury, he took a somewhat slow receiver with the 4th pick of round 2.

TD admittedly had some good free agent signings, and a couple of decent draft picks as well. That said, imo his legacy in Buffalo will be marked by his drafting of high risk/low reward players, and gimmick picks which truly hurt the Bills.