Marv's Comments

BobbyC81

I don't know if this has been mentioned befoe, but there were some good coments made by Marv Levy in the latest issue of Bills Digest.

1) They purposely went after free agents in the age range of 25 - 28 so these players would be around as they team expects to improve

2) They purposely went after lower tier free agents to avoid overpaying for guys high on the radar

3) Levy doesn't believe in taking a QB with a high 1st round pick putting pressure on the player to be "the savior"

Some of this could just be blowing smoke but these points also make sense.

Sure Marv lucked out with Jim Kelly already a Bill after 2 seasons in the USFL but think about what else he observed. Todd Collins was a 2nd round pick expected to fill Kelly's shoes and he failed. Rob Johnson was acquired for a high 1st round pick and he didn't pan out. Losman was drafted with a 1st round acquired for a 1st round and other picks and the jury is still out on him.

So, I can't see the Bills taking a QB in the 1st round, no matter which one might be there.

So reading between the lines, this year we're gonna suck.

664609[/snapback]

The previous "brain trust" took a shot with a plan and it didn't work out. Some teams have turned it around in a year but odds are that won't happen for the Bills in 2006. I'm willing to endure another losing season to see if Marv's plan works.

Last year's team obviously way underachieved. Hopefully this year's team, with comparatively less talent with the departures of Adams, Milloy and Moulds, can overachieve or at least play to their level and it can be a better season to watch.

The previous "brain trust" took a shot with a plan and it didn't work out.  Some teams have turned it around in a year but odds are that won't happen for the Bills in 2006.  I'm willing to endure another losing season to see if Marv's plan works.

Last year's team obviously way underachieved.  Hopefully this year's team, with comparatively less talent with the departures of Adams, Milloy and Moulds, can overachieve or at least play to their level and it can be a better season to watch.

664644[/snapback]

When you look at the talent that left the team this year, they were the biggest underachievers on this team, so its a very big possibility that the team could already be better because of addition by subtraction. Getting rid of the dead weight holding the team down to allow young players willing to give 110% a chance to play.

Marvs comments sound like he is not looking for instant gratification and actually hopes this team can be successful in years to come, not just bring in 1-2 Big names to make it look like Buffalo will be a contender and then fail miserably below expectations